Benitez folded like a lawn chair.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nothing makes me happier than watching him do it for another team. And when it's against the Mets, it's like Christmas in May. And I'm Jewish.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching, and I didn't see anything at all on the first "balk." He might have flinched a bit on the second one, but the first time was conjured by the ump, I think. That said, maybe he doesn't throw that pitch to Delgado if he's not rattled by the balks (and maybe he does), but the homerun made it all moot.

the Yankees are trading Clemens to the Mets (basically giving him to them and eating some of the salary to boot). Deal should be done before he pitches monday, at which point Cashman will be fired. No word yet on a replacement.

I agree with the first balk call. Apparently that ump is balk-crazed and calls it a lot. Even so, Benitez was a bag of nerves after walking Reyes. After the two balk calls to tie it the game was over. The SF 'pen was void of help.

Clemens feels he'll be ready to pitch on June 4 to a barely over-.500 team (CWS) but not 24 hrs. earlier to the current best team in the majors (BOS), apparently. I guess the extra prep time will help.

Clemens feels he'll be ready to pitch on June 4 to a barely over-.500 team (CWS) but not 24 hrs. earlier to the current best team in the majors (BOS), apparently. I guess the extra prep time will help.

I saw this too, and thought it was another example of the Yanks being overprotective of him. He conveniently "missed" a series at Shea the year after the Piazza/bat incident, and I seem to remember him missing a crucial series in Boston a couple of years ago also.

But the truth is, the Yanks' rotation is set for the weekend -- Wang, Mussina and Pettite. Wouldnt make sense to bump one of those three to put Clemens in for his first start of the year.

arodpost.jpg

http://deadspin.com/

Remind Alex Rodriguez, once again, why he decided to come to New York? As if matters weren't disastrous enough in The Bronx right now, it appears everybody's favorite sensitive boy has been gallivanting around Toronto with buxom blondes who aren't his wife. We know! We're as shocked as you! A Major League Baseball player, of all people. Well, now we've seen everything!

A-Rod, predictably, had no comment on the New York Post cover story, which details how he went to a strip club with the woman and then hopped in the elevator to his hotel room with her, alone. (No!) We can't say we envy Post reporter Dan Mangan's assignment of following A-Rod around all evening -- most nights probably involve him watching Chris Farley movies, we suspect -- but we think it's rather fitting that, finally, the world of sports has fully given itself up to the paparazzi. We still think someone's gonna figure out a way to blame this on blogs anyway.

But anyway ... A-Rod, for the first time in a while, vaguely resembles a normal, breathing human being this morning.

I was watching PTI yesterday and Wilbon was slamming the Yankees and Clemmens....calling them "dead"

Have to say I of course enjoyed it.

Add a Sox win and a NY loss last night.....purty good

What about that Jays player swiping home....that's an exciting play

But anyway ... A-Rod, for the first time in a while, vaguely resembles a normal, breathing human being this morning.

I guess Michael Vick has been taking some of the heat off him lately.

If baseball didn't have an A-Rod to kick around, it would have to invent one.

Who's loved more, A-Rod or Terrell Owens?

A-Rod is both far more talented and way less of a distraction than Terrell Owens. This story about him hitting the strip clubs is the first semi-scandalous thing that I can really remember being associated with him. I hate A-Rod because he plays for the Yankees, but I can't think of any real legit reasons why A-Rod wouldn't be loved more than T.O., at least by his own team's fans. He doesn't have a very interesting personality, but he doesn't seem to be a big jerk or anything (especially when compared to Terrell Owens).

In T.O.'s case, there's such a circus everywhere he goes and surrounding everything he does, that I could picture a team legitimately deciding that his talent wasn't worth all of the extra baggage. I can't see that ever happening for A-Rod.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nothing makes me happier than watching him do it for another team. And when it's against the Mets, it's like Christmas in May. And I'm Jewish.

I'm not Jewish, but it was enormously satisfying to see Armando blow it.

I agree with the first balk call. Apparently that ump is balk-crazed and calls it a lot. Even so, Benitez was a bag of nerves after walking Reyes. After the two balk calls to tie it the game was over. The SF 'pen was void of help.

That guy called two balks on Julio during the first series of the season that almost blew the game, and there was clearly no balk.

A-Rod now under 300, and he's now giving the Yanks reason to drop his arse at the end of the year.

Ha! You do realize he's on pace for 140 runs, 65 hr, 160 rbi, 88 BB, and 16 SB. If they "drop his ass" at the end of the year it'll be the biggest mistake they've made since signing Pavano. He's just about the only dude on the team who looks like he cares.

Interesting discussion on Mike/Mad Dog just now about Yanks and Mets swapping A-Rod for Reyes straight up. Francesa said the Yanks would do it in a heartbeat and the Mets would not even consider it.

Given's Earl's point above, I have a hard time agreeing, but it is interesting to think about. I think they were assuming money was not an issue in the trade.

That would be a really dumb trade for the Yankees to make. Reyes is awesome, but A-Rod is probably the best player in the game. And would that involve moving Reyes to thirdbase? Were they responding to any sort of rumors, or was it just something that they made up to talk about?

Ha! You do realize he's on pace for 140 runs, 65 hr, 160 rbi, 88 BB, and 16 SB. If they "drop his ass" at the end of the year it'll be the biggest mistake they've made since signing Pavano. He's just about the only dude on the team who looks like he cares.

Biggest mistake since Pavano? It would be a much, much worse mistake than that. Pavano has been a disaster, but they're not hurting for the money exactly. Getting rid of A-Rod would be a much bigger screw up.

Were they responding to any sort of rumors, or was it just something that they made up to talk about?

Nah, they just made it up to have something to talk about. Reyes played 2nd when he came up with the Mets for a year to defer to (gasp!!) Kaz Matsui. So maybe the Yanks would put him there. Or move Jeter to 3rd as he continues to get older and slower.

Reyes does seem like the type of player the Yanks could really use -- assuming he keeps up his OBP. Getting on base, wreaking havoc. That being said, I agree that ARod's #s are sick and they'd be making a mistake getting rid of him.

Given Reyes' age, I'd say it's close to a fair deal, but for the next 5 years or so, it would be a stupid trade for the Yankees. Not that it'll ever happen, but I'd still rather have A-rod than Reyes.

I still can't believe the Rangers traded him for Soriano... What an awful trade.

What the heck does it mean when a batter has "hit safely"? Is there a way to hit not safely?

One time I saw Jeter bat with razor blades in the handle of his bat. Maybe thats what they mean.