• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A brushback pitch is not a dick move. I'd even say that intentionally hitting a batter isn't a dick move. Intentionally headhunting is a dick move. Sliding spikes up is a dick move.

That's a lot of dick moves.

The point of a brushback pitch is not to hit the batter -- it's to move him off the plate. I'd say its only a dick move if you are actually headhunting.

These days, any pitch that's high and an inch off the plate is a brushback pitch anyway... Or so some batters would have you think.

A brushback pitch is not a dick move. I'd even say that intentionally hitting a batter isn't a dick move. Intentionally headhunting is a dick move. Sliding spikes up is a dick move.

That's a lot of dick moves.

If you intentionally throw at someone, or intentionally hit someone, it's a dick move, no matter what you're trying to accomplish. I'm not saying it doesn't have a place within the game, just that it's a shitty thing to do on a personal level. Coming in with the spikes up is a huge part of the tradition of the game, despite it being pretty brutal, and frowned upon now.

The point of a brushback pitch is not to hit the batter -- it's to move him off the plate. I'd say its only a dick move if you are actually headhunting.

Exactly. It's the pitcher getting inside the head of the batter in order to create a better situation for himself. By throwing a ball at his head.

A-Rod got inside Clark's head by making some noise as he ran by him, and Clark let A-Rod rattle him.

My initial reaction was that this wouldn't have been news if Jeter had done it. But the more I think about it, the more I think that Jeter wouldn't have done it in the first place. A-Rod did. And that's why this is a story.

If Jeter had done it, the NY media and fanbase would all be praising him today for being clever and for doing whatever it takes to win. I am about 98% certain of this.

Exactly. It's the pitcher getting inside the head of the batter in order to create a better situation for himself. By throwing a ball at his head.

A-Rod got inside Clark's head by making some noise as he ran by him, and Clark let A-Rod rattle him.

Maybe we're splitting hairs here, but I don't think of it as getting in the player's head, as much as to keep him off the outside of the plate. I guess that's as much mental as anything. But its a legitimate baseball purpose. Hitters can lean over the plate without brushback pitches and pitchers need to defend their territory. It's just not a dick move to me. The hitter doesn't have any more right to the outside part of the plate than the pitcher does.

Sliding spikes up has no baseball purpose. It is done in hopes of injuring a player. Yelling at a middle infielder serves no purpose other than to distract and trick a player.

Like I said, we may just be splitting hairs.

If Jeter had done it, the NY media and fanbase would all be praising him today for being clever and for doing whatever it takes to win. I am about 98% certain of this.

Right but you missed my point. Of course the media would have let Jeter slide. But Jeter never would have done it. He just wouldn't have. That's my point.

Maybe we're splitting hairs here, but I don't think of it as getting in the player's head, as much as to keep him off the outside of the plate. I guess that's as much mental as anything. But its a legitimate baseball purpose. Hitters can lean over the plate without brushback pitches and pitchers need to defend their territory. It's just not a dick move to me. The hitter doesn't have any more right to the outside part of the plate than the pitcher does.

Sliding spikes up has no baseball purpose. It is done in hopes of injuring a player. Yelling at a middle infielder serves no purpose other than to distract and trick a player.

Like I said, we may just be splitting hairs.

Yeah, I absolutely see your point, and I understand why some would jump on A-Rod for this. I don't think it's that big of a deal though. I think things like that happen more often than people think, and it only became a big deal because Clark missed the ball and got pissed off about it.

As far as sliding spikes up, it serves the same purpose to a baserunner as a brushback pitch does to a pitcher. It's the baserunner's way of establishing his territory, even if it is looked on as a touch barbaric.

If you intentionally throw at someone, or intentionally hit someone, it's a dick move, no matter what you're trying to accomplish.

I bet Hitler threw plenty of brushback pitches in his day.

Right, because unlike A-Rod, Jeter is not willing to do whatever it takes to win.

I understood your point, I just had another point to add myself.

For what it's worth (e.g., not much), Jeter caught a fair amount of slack from the media here for staying out of a bench clearing brawl a few years ago. I dont remember which team it was against, but I vaguely recall him and the star from the other team standing off to the side and laughing about the brawl as it was going on.

And Jeter also caught some heat for not coming out and defending A-Rod last year. So, he doesn't always get a free pass in NY.

EDIT: Ninjas - should that be an e.g. or an i.e.?

For what it's worth (e.g., not much), Jeter caught a fair amount of slack from the media here for staying out of a bench clearing brawl a few years ago. I dont remember which team it was against, but I vaguely recall him and the star from the other team standing off to the side and laughing about the brawl as it was going on.

And Jeter also caught some heat for not coming out and defending A-Rod last year. So, he doesn't always get a free pass in NY.

EDIT: Ninjas - should that be an e.g. or an i.e.?

i.e.

e.g. means "for example." i.e. is basically "that is," or "in other words."

edit: This is Ninjas.

e.g. = exempli gratias = "for example"

i.e. = id est = "that is"

So you want "i.e."

i.e.

e.g. means "for example." i.e. is basically "that is," or "in other words."

edit: This is Ninjas.

Thanks fellas. My mental cheat sheet was always "in other words" for i.e., but I didn't think that made sense here. Still not sure if it does.

Ok, sorry for the diversion here. Back to hating A-Rod.

The Nationals have been shut out for 18 consecutive innings by the Dodgers' pitching staff. I think it's time to retire the "Go Nationals" subheading of this thread.

The Nationals have been shut out for 18 consecutive innings by the Dodgers' pitching staff. I think it's time to retire the "Go Nationals" subheading of this thread.

But they need our support now more than ever!

FWIW, I have no quarrel with A-Rod going to strip clubs.

They had the worst record in the league when I first put that up there - it was kind of a joke.

FWIW, I have no quarrel with A-Rod going to strip clubs.

umm, he is married...unless he has his wife's permission.

(he's an a-hole anyway imo)

I'm about 98% certain that Jeter wouldn't have done it.

I'm a life long Yankee fan who's been defending ARod since he got here, but it was absolutely a bush league play.