• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[a-rod rant]

I'm not sure where the A-rod stuff comes from but again, he's not going anywhere. Not this season. Not next. Not the year after. This is most likely the last team he ever plays for, until at which point he just flat out sucks but missed the memo. The yankees are not going to let go one of the best players of all time, because without a cap in place they simply have no reason to ever do that. For anyone who think he can't play in NY perhaps you should actually watch him play in NY....he's ummm sort of getting it done. On post season numbers.....This was the knock against Bonds as well. You don't get rid of offensive forces because they sucked in the post season, when your entire team sucked in the post season. I'm pretty sure the Yankee brass can live with a .295 batting average if the guy hits 55 homers and 140 RBIs.

[/a-rod rant]

I'm pretty sure the Yankee brass can live with a .295 batting average if the guy hits 55 homers and 140 RBIs.

Big time Yanks fan here. He is off to a great start but I'm not sure he'll reach 55 or 140. If he stays hot all season he'll end up with crazy numbers. I agree that ARod CAN play in New York. In 3 seasons (not including '07) he has an MVP and 119 HR but has taken way too much slack for the post season. The whole team sucked last season against Detroit, not just ARod. Anyway, I think he will definitely finish his career with the Bombers, whether or not his contract gets extended beyond the 2010 season.

Frankly, if I am A-Rod, I wouldnt want to play in NY. The front page of the Post yesterday was crazy. Plus, 6 different teams have won the World Series in the last 6 years. It's not like he needs to play in NY to win. Maybe he sticks around because he has too much pride, or he likes the access to Madison Avenue and strippers, but he'd do just as well in Chicago or LA. He'd be a hero in Chicago if he brought the Cubs a title. He'll never be a hero with these Yankee fans.

He'll never be a hero with these Yankee fans.

Nor with anyone else if he does stuff like what he did last night.

Not a real ringing endorsement from his own team:

"I wasn't sure that was allowed," outfielder Johnny Damon said.

Said manager Joe Torre: "I don't know what to feel for it. It's not like he said, 'I got it.'"

I don't know - I didn't see that one as such a big deal, and I'm sure it wouldn't even be news if A-Rod hadn't been involved. Like he said, the other team tries to distract players from making plays all the time, and if Clark got distracted by A-Rod yelling "Hey" behind him (replays did not look to me like he said "Mine," as the Jays claim), that's Clark's fault for letting someone take him out of the game. Next thing you know, some dude's going to be complaining that he couldn't get a good lead off second because the shortstop kept slapping his glove behind him...

What's wrong with yelling "Mine" to distract a fielder? It's the fielder's job to know where his teammates are and what they sound like. There isn't anything in the rules that even remotely makes that illegal. It was a heads up play on A-Rod's part.

Rodriguez claims it happens to him 3 or 4 times a week -- I find that hard to believe -- but my gut reaction is the same as the Blue Jays, "bush league." Just like when he tried to swat the ball on that run to first a few years ago. Jeez, he's like the most talented physical athlete in the game, why does he have to pull crappy little stunts like that? His justification is that they're desperate for a win and didn't want to get swept. So that makes it OK? Or it's OK because everyone else does it to him? If my daughter pulled that crap in a little league softball game I'd bench her.

Rodriguez claims it happens to him 3 or 4 times a week -- I find that hard to believe -- but my gut reaction is the same as the Blue Jays, "bush league." Just like when he tried to swat the ball on that run to first a few years ago. Jeez, he's like the most talented physical athlete in the game, why does he have to pull crappy little stunts like that? His justification is that they're desperate for a win and didn't want to get swept. So that makes it OK? Or it's OK because everyone else does it to him? If my daughter pulled that crap in a little league softball game I'd bench her.

Well said

What's wrong with yelling "Mine" to distract a fielder? It's the fielder's job to know where his teammates are and what they sound like. There isn't anything in the rules that even remotely makes that illegal. It was a heads up play on A-Rod's part.

This is awesome. It would be even better if when he's in the field he's constantly yelling "heeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy-batta-batta..."

I miss Little Leauge. :rolleyes

Catchers continuously talk shit to batters to get in their heads.

Dugouts scream at first- or third basemen or catchers when they are trying to field popups in foul territory.

Shortstops harass baserunners trying to take leads off second base.

Pitchers fake pickoffs.

Teams steal signs.

Baserunners induce balks.

There is all manner of deception, trickery and other crap that goes into taking the other team's heads out of the game. I don't see the A-Rod "incident" as anything out of line with all the other shit baseball teams do to make the other team fuck up. There's nothing about what happened that makes me believe it would be news if anyone other than Alex Rodriguez were the perpetrator.

If my daughter pulled that crap in a little league softball game I'd bench her.

even if your daughter was on pace for 65 hrs and 169 rbis?

i think it was bush league, just like yelling "boot" when a grounder is hit to an infielder. but i do not think it even makes buster olney's blog of random trivia if it were not A Rod.

There is plenty of deception in the game, but much of it is tradition and is part of the unwritten rulebook. I know baseball's unwritten rulebook can seem random and hokey, but the game does police itself in this regard. Generally speaking, you don't bunt for a hit in the 8th inning of a no hitter. You don't steal a base up (or down) by 5 or more runs. For whatever reason, it's ok for a middle infielder to deke a runner stealing second by making him think the catcher's throw went into center field. But the fallout from the play last night appears to be that players don't and shouldn't yell "mine" at a fielder getting ready to catch a popup. It's not written anywhere. Its just the way the game is played.

My initial reaction was that this wouldn't have been news if Jeter had done it. But the more I think about it, the more I think that Jeter wouldn't have done it in the first place. A-Rod did. And that's why this is a story.

In addition, it was already 7-5 Yankees at that point, and the Blue Jays didn't score in the bottom of the ninth, so it's pretty much moot. It just meant that Posada and Giambi got RBI they wouldn't have otherwise. Bottom line is, Clark should have caught the ball, but it didn't have anything to do with the outcome of the game.

edit: Sure, it's borderline, and it's a dick move. But so is a brushback pitch.