Now playing for the month of June...

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rotfl josh rouse has been one big snoozefest since Nashville.

That makes one album and a half (not including the not-released-yet one). There are good songs on Subtitulo. When Ryan Adams can put a melody like "Quiet Town", I give you a call.

I haven't purchased the half album he recorded with his girlfriend.

Oh wait: I buy my albums, as for me. I don't spend my time downloading everything.

And sure I want to taste the new one myself, as I'm not sure we have the same idea of what good music is.

That makes one album and a half (not including the not-released-yet one). There are good songs on Subtitulo. When Ryan Adams can put a melody like "Quiet Town", I give you a call.

I haven't purchased the half album he recorded with his girlfriend.

Oh wait: I buy my albums, as for me. I don't spend my time downloading everything.

And sure I want to taste the new one myself, as I'm not sure we have the same idea of what good music is.

nah dude, i'm being honest there. i've been a really big fan of Josh since i saw him open for Guster in 2000, and have seen him a ton since then. but she's right, he's gotten progressively more boring and less interesting musically since Nashville, that much is kinda hard to dispute when you compare his back catalog.

the spanish album is better than Subtitulo, but not by much.

i wish i didn't find this new album extremely boring, because while i didn't love Subtitulo, it wasn't quite this boring at least. as for Quiet Town, that song is kinda dull too imo.

are you being sarcastic? this album has been getting trashed all over the place but i think its a pretty fun record

No sarcasm. I'm soaking it up like a sponge. Perfect for the summer.

Bad reviews in general, huh? Damn.

nah dude, i'm being honest there. i've been a really big fan of Josh since i saw him open for Guster in 2000, and have seen him a ton since then. but she's right, he's gotten progressively more boring and less interesting musically since Nashville, that much is kinda hard to dispute when you compare his back catalog.

the spanish album is better than Subtitulo, but not by much.

i wish i didn't find this new album extremely boring, because while i didn't love Subtitulo, it wasn't quite this boring at least. as for Quiet Town, that song is kinda dull too imo.

I don't doubt you're honest, but I disagree. I don't find his earlier albums "that" superior. I can understand alt.country fans (or Ryan Adams fans) prefer his earlier stuff, but I personally also dig his easy going and laid back thing lately. It's just slightly different music, with different audience probably, but no way I would find him boring. I'm really curious to hear his latest album, and am glad he tries some changes.

Your assertions won't change anything, as long as you don't bring strong arguments on the map. :dance

I don't doubt you're honest, but I disagree. I don't find his earlier albums "that" superior. I can understand alt.country fans (or Ryan Adams fans) prefer his earlier stuff, but I personally also dig his easy going and laid back thing lately. It's just slightly different music, with different audience probably, but no way I would find him boring. I'm really curious to hear his latest album, and am glad he tries some changes.

Your assertions won't change anything, as long as you don't bring strong arguments on the map. :dance

fair enough.

it's been getting a bit of a beating on a few other forums i'm on from other Josh fans too, so i'm curious what you think i guess.

but for me, Home is easily my favorite (and was my first intro to him), followed everso closely by Under Cold Blue Stars, which is pretty much tied with Nebraska. 1974 is awesome, but took me a bit to get over the retro thing, now i love it. Nashville had 3-4 amazing songs, but wasn't as strong as the previous 4 on the whole.

i don't mind laid back/soft music at all, i just don't really dig on the lite jazz/adult contemporary (as much as i hate to use that word, it's true on these last 2 albums) too much.

fair enough.

it's been getting a bit of a beating on a few other forums i'm on from other Josh fans too, so i'm curious what you think i guess.

but for me, Home is easily my favorite (and was my first intro to him), followed everso closely by Under Cold Blue Stars, which is pretty much tied with Nebraska. 1974 is awesome, but took me a bit to get over the retro thing, now i love it. Nashville had 3-4 amazing songs, but wasn't as strong as the previous 4 on the whole.

i don't mind laid back/soft music at all, i just don't really dig on the lite jazz/adult contemporary (as much as i hate to use that word, it's true on these last 2 albums) too much.

Personally I like every Josh Rouse album, but always with some personal favorite songs as well. But sometime my fave moments change, it depends how I'm on the sequencing. Under Cold Blue Stars is the one that moves me the most (especially the second half, from "Feeling No Pain" to "Whole Night Through"), but I think 1972 is his strongest record as a whole, rich and nicely produced. I love the rock indie sound of Dressed Up Like Nebraska as well.

Nashville and Subtitulo are more "light", though I don't hear anything really "jazzy". "adult"? yeah. No trouble between "adult" music and me. You know, the "adult" thing isn't necessarily boring, it can mean it's less childish and more subtle. ;)

You mentionned Guster above. I don't like that band much, to me it goes too much on the Coldplay side. On the other hand, I have to tell you the solo album of Joe Pisapia (who's a member of the band), which is called Daydreams, is an absolute wonder. There you could say there are some jazzy things, but it's subtle and colorful, almost close to Nick Drake.

So far, concerning Josh Rouse, I don't think he's got boring. I think his talent is still well and alive. Just lighter on those two last albums. If the new album gets space and jazzy, fine with me. I'm a fan of Jenifer Jackson, so it works with me. Now it could also be really boring, but so far I only have good reasons to trust Josh's talent.

Personally I like every Josh Rouse album, but always with some personal favorite songs as well. But sometime my fave moments change, it depends how I'm on the sequencing. Under Cold Blue Stars is the one that moves me the most (especially the second half, from "Feeling No Pain" to "Whole Night Through"), but I think 1972 is his strongest record as a whole, rich and nicely produced. I love the rock indie sound of Dressed Up Like Nebraska as well.

Nashville and Subtitulo are more "light", though I don't hear anything really "jazzy". "adult"? yeah. No trouble between "adult" music and me. You know, the "adult" thing isn't necessarily boring, it can mean it's less childish and more subtle. ;)

You mentionned Guster above. I don't like that band much, to me it goes too much on the Coldplay side. On the other hand, I have to tell you the solo album of Joe Pisapia (who's a member of the band), which is called Daydreams, is an absolute wonder. There you could say there are some jazzy things, but it's subtle and colorful, almost close to Nick Drake.

So far, concerning Josh Rouse, I don't think he's got boring. I think his talent is still well and alive. Just lighter on those two last albums. If the new album gets space and jazzy, fine with me. I'm a fan of Jenifer Jackson, so it works with me. Now it could also be really boring, but so far I only have good reasons to trust Josh's talent.

Guster has absolutely nothing whatsoever in common with Coldplay honestly, especially their first 3 albums (of which, 2 of them are heads above their latest 2 records). Their melodies and harmonies are just gorgeous and their lyrics are quite underrated. Not to mention they are some of the funniest people you'll ever meet in your life. I've seen them well over 10x now since '99 and there's not a live show that I have more fun at, or sing along to every single word more than at a Guster show. seeing them at the MN Zoo twice next month w/ Ben Kweller opening, should be a kickass time!

I have Joe's solo stuff, it's great. his brother often tours with Josh if you're not aware.

as for "boring" i guess myself as a musician I just am not interested whatsoever in the backing music on the last 2 Josh records, they're not very satisfying for me. Can't really debate the lyrics because they're neither memorable nor crappy, but the melodies just don't stick with me nearly as much as his first 4 albums either (and even a handful of tracks off Nashville).

and as for Jazzy, this new one definitely has a lounge/jazz feel over a good portion of the songs...

I may have to look further for Guster, I only have one album (Ganging Up on the Sun), which to me sounds close to Coldplay, though it's slightly better.

Sure I know Marc Pisapia and James Haggerty often play with Josh Rouse. They were part of the "Joe, Marc's Brother" (funny name, isn't it?) trio with Joe. Even David Mead was part of the early line up. Mead being another great talent in his own right. His latest album found a new indie label in France, which is great.

I may have to look further for Guster, I only have one album (Ganging Up on the Sun), which to me sounds close to Coldplay, though it's slightly better.

Sure I know Marc Pisapia and James Haggerty often play with Josh Rouse. They were part of the "Joe, Marc's Brother" (funny name, isn't it?) trio with Joe. Even David Mead was part of the early line up. Mead being another great talent in his own right. His latest album found a new indie label in France, which is great.

while i like Ganging somewhat, it's my least favorite Guster record. Parachute's recording blows, but most the songs on it are great. Their 3rd album, Lost and Gone Forever is honestly one of my favorite albums ever. Goldfly that came before it is quite good too. I miss Bryan's hand percussion a lot. He doesn't do it nearly as much as he used to (used to play the entire show w/ just his hands, but it killed them every night. he was always bandaged and/or bloody).

you familiar w/ The Bees (the US version, not Band of Bees from the UK)? the lead singer in that band, Daniel Tashian also used to tour with Josh. saw them open for Guster last fall, pretty good.