Now playing for the month of June...

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep -- and I just finished listening. I think it's beautiful, but I freakin LOVE this band so maybe I'm not very objective.

I'm hoping they flesh some of these tunes out for a full band thing. But at any rate, this is really lovely and haunting and moody Calexico stripped down a bit, like I said, no Joey Burns vocals :hmm and none of the other Calexico guys -- only John and Joey. But I dig this whole vibe.

And on the Touch & Go website, they have a gig on November 3 in Tucson with Los Lobos at Reid Park. I need to go to Tucson (summer's not really such a good time for that!) and so Nov. 3 looks like a plan.

2/3 of Strawberry Jam by Animal Collective. Anyone else heard this yet? Has the whole thing leaked? What, if you have heard it, do you think?

Listened to it last night through poxy computer speakers. It sounded good, though not as good as Person Pitch. They seem to have dispensed the natural folky sound for a more metallic sheen, but still very enjoyable. Particularly the samples of the lightsabres sparking up.

NP: The zither crazy Hey Venus!

Very brief but a definite return to form after the not quite bum note of Love Kraft.

Yeah, it has got a lot of zither on it, hasn't it. I'm now starting to think it sounds like Love Kraft with better songs, but I can definately hear their early sound too.

Listened to it last night through poxy computer speakers. It sounded good, though not as good as Person Pitch. They seem to have dispensed the natural folky sound for a more metallic sheen, but still very enjoyable. Particularly the samples of the lightsabres sparking up.

Definately not as good as Person Pitch, but it's still better than most other things out so far this year.

NP/ Hey Venus! - Super Furry Animals

Yeah, it has got a lot of zither on it, hasn't it. I'm now starting to think it sounds like Love Kraft with better songs, but I can definately hear their early sound too.

Definately not as good as Person Pitch, but it's still better than most other things out so far this year.

I think a lot of it is to do with Panda Bear having a much better voice, or a better use of his voice, than Avey Tare, and it's the latter who gets more of a look in on the vocals front. Not that it's bad but Person Pitch has raised the benchmark.

Any sign of the final third?

I think a lot of it is to do with Panda Bear having a much better voice, or a better use of his voice, than Avey Tare, and it's the latter who gets more of a look in on the vocals front. Not that it's bad but Person Pitch has raised the benchmark.

Any sign of the final third?

No sign so far; well, I haven't found it yet, anyway. It might be out there somewhere, it's just I haven't seen it.

Sounds much better the second time around. I was a little dissapointed yesterday...

Sounds much better the second time around. I was a little dissapointed yesterday...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I skipped through the tracks quickly on the first listen, and thought it sounded a bit too similar from track to track, but I spent most of yesterday and today listening to it, and that feeling slowly disappeared so that I'm loving it right now. Carbon Dating and The Gift That Keeps Giving stand out as two of my favourite tracks at the moment.

NP/ Hey Venus! again

To be honest I havent really loved a SFA album since Guerilla. I don't know what it is but I just kinda lost interest in them. Since going back to Rings and Phantom Power I've grown to enjoy them though. But I really don't like Love Kraft. After a few listens now this is definately their best in some time imo.

Carbon Dating and The Gift That Keeps Giving stand out as two of my favourite tracks at the moment.

Carbon Dating and, although anthemically obvious, Suckers are my favourites at the moment.

And don't you think Into The Night, which I also like, sounds like Rain and Snow by Pentangle (probably played by Deep Purple though)?

The answer you're looking for is "yes". I'm getting good at this.

And don't you think Into The Night, which I also like, sounds like Rain and Snow by Pentangle (probably played by Deep Purple though)?

The answer you're looking for is "yes". I'm getting good at this.

:lol Well, I can tell what you mean if I really listen hard and let my imagination run away with me! (I think I can see what you mean with the vocal phrasing at times). Weirder than that reference - I think I can hear a bit of a melody from Little Boy by The Staple Singers in Battersea Odyssey.

I'm not a fan of Love Kraft either. I'm not sure what it is about it, cos the production is good and the songs are good too, but I can never be bothered to play it - which is an important requirement for any album, obviously.

It certainly helps! :lol

61SY9k0j8HL._AA240_.jpg