Has Jeff ever talked about Elliott Smith in interviews etc

what's with the damn ellipses? Do you have that many unfinished thoughts?Drugs are not the cause of a tortured soul or great music. They're just an unhealthy escapist vehicle those types turn to when the music isn't enough. You're totalling borking the causal relationship with an unsupported correlation.
your opinion.........damn sure not mine.......
You are a fucking idiot.I hope you start taking heroin and coke every day so that you produce higher quality posts.
I gotta say you are a piece of shit as well...........you bring nothing to any conversation imo.........
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Light, you must understand these artists who you mention using drugs and making great music were already talented musicians beforehand

as Matt said, drugs may colour an artists work but people like Lennon, Cobain, Brian Wilson, Hendrix etc etc

were gifted already, and great dispite their drug use not as a result of it

and to say it would have been a shame if Elliott cleaned himself up is just idiotic, as much as i like his records i wouldnt wish death apon someone just for my listening pleasure.

and to say it would have been a shame if Elliott cleaned himself up is just idiotic, as much as i like his records i wouldnt wish death apon someone just for my listening pleasure.

I NEVER wished death upon anyone nor would I ever............I do believe 100% that Elliott would not have been the same artist with as brilliant of records everytime had he been a happy cheerful non drug using artist...........everyone is different on what they "need" to get through...........I agreed Elliott and others were artists regardless...........but my point is their drug use or experimentation(however you want to view it) made those records more than they would have been otherwise.........

It IS just you. Everything you said here is an opinion -- yours. And I guarantee that you don't know whether a record of Kenny post acid would be more interesting -- how do you know he hasn't done acid already?

A Lot Of Things Different lyrics

"I'd spend a lot more time in the pouring rain without an umbrella

Covering my head

And I'd stood up to that bully when he pushed and called me names

But I was too afraid

And I'd a gone on and saw Elvis that night he came to town

But mama said I couldn't

And I'd a went skinny dipping with Jenny Carson that time she dared me to

But I didn't

Oh I, I'd done a lot of things different

I wished I'd a spent more time with my dad when he was alive

Now I don't have the chance

I wish I had told my brother how much I loved him before he went off to war

But I just shook his hand

And I wish I had gone to church on Sunday morning when my grandma begged me too

But I was afraid of God

And I wish I would've listened when they said Boy, you're gonna wish you hadn't

But I wouldn't

People say they wouldn't change a thing, even if they could

Oh but I would

There was this red dress she wanted one time so bad she could taste it

And I should've bought it, but I didn't

She wanted to paint our bedroom yellow and trim it blues and greens

But I wouldn't let her, wouldn't a hurt nuthin

She loved to be held and kissed and touched but I didn't do it

Not nearly enough

And if I'd a known that dance was going to be our last dance

I'd a asked that band to play on and on on and on

People say they wouldn't change a thing, even if they could

Oh but I would

Oh whoa Oh I, I'd done a lot of things different

Oh I, I'd done a lot of things

I think we've all do a lot of things different" - Kenny Chesney

I think that about sums it up, or, shall i go on???

Dont' take my word for it - they all read the same way.

Do I have to, like, in every post, state that my opinion is my opinion? I mean, isn't that blindingly obvious?

Oh, and, it

What Light, you must understand these artists who you mention using drugs and making great music were already talented musicians beforehand

as Matt said, drugs may colour an artists work but people like Lennon, Cobain, Brian Wilson, Hendrix etc etc

were gifted already, and great dispite their drug use not as a result of it

bingo. i completely agree.

i think it's sad elliott is being remembered this way. who are you to say that without drugs he wouldn't have any talent? do you think barry bonds wouldn't have any talent without steroids? what about lance armstrong? he doesn't have a left nut yet the man still has talent.

now rivers cuomo, without sex, that's another story.

OK, just for the record: Jim Morrison was not a genius or a good lyricist. He was a rambling drunken asshole who became convinced through positive reinforcement he was an enlightened philosopher and a revolutionary artist. He was, in fact, quite the opposite. I hate seeing talent like Jimi Hendrix lumped in with Jim Morrison. Jimi Hendrix taught people new ways of looking at the guitar and was legitimately interested in a process of exploration within himself. Jim Morrison was just some moderately good looking guy who thought he was hot shit. It doesn't matter what kind of drugs that guy did, he was always an asshole and never talented.

But see, addicts like Elliott Smith have never been able to catch this last point of yours and make it stick. If you only had cancer in moderation, you probably wouldn't die from that either. Progressive diseases are a bitch, no? People keep saying 'his art would have suffered if he got clean.' Well, he's not making any more music now - how is that 'better'?

You

Alcoholism/addiction = disease. Drinking is a symptom of the disease, much in the same way that violent pain is a sympton of cancer. Trying to tell an addict to moderate or use willpower is like suggesting that someone who is allergic to peanuts just have the 'Fun Size' Snickers bar.

I agree that, for those who are not addicts, alcohol and drugs can be a fun way to loosen up. Elliott was not loosening up, though, and his use was not an agent for his creativity. He was sick, as well as extraordinarily talented.

As a former heroin

Your..............all......................wrong................................

..............................................Evan..............................

...........Dandos..........................................

...............................................versionofthirteenisbetterthanboth

effsandelliots!.....................got to...........go...aahhh.......sweet jane

but.... not.....as.....good.....as....big....star

ha.........................ha.............................ha....................

........ha........................deal...................me.....................

in.................for....................this..............................fun.

.........................game............................ :dancing

ha.........................ha.............................ha....................

........ha........................deal...................me.....................

in.................for....................this..............................fun.

.........................game............................ :dancing

You...........are..............already............ holding........the........whole........deck..............