I want to read a Beatles or two book over the summer. I know there are tons, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend one that they think is the best or most comprehensive.

So far, I think Bob Spitz's 990 page Beatles Biography looks to be pretty good.

Also, Many Years From Now looks like a good read on Paul McCartney.

hey,

ive read that bob spitz one twice...i think it just has the most information, but at some points he gives tabloid like recreations of events in their lives...so while the personal parts of their lives are treated a tad ridiculous at times, there are great great parts about their recording processes, business negotiations, and tours...this dude gets down to like where they ate meals at certain important times...ive read about three or four and this is the one that I went and bought and have read twice in the last year

hope this helps

I would agree that the Spitz book is an interesting read. Also, check out the Complete Beatles Chronicle. Each chapter is divided into the years they were a group and each chapter begins with a narrative account of what happened that year. Then, the rest of the chapter chronicles the recording, tv, film, and radio sessions and live appearances that occurred that year. The book also has lots of nice pictures of the beatles and various memorbilia.

It's been a while, but I remember A Day In the Life: The Music and Artistry of the Beatles by Mark Hertzgaard being good. It's the one where Paul looks really stoned on the front.

And for fun, I recommend The Walrus Was Pau by R. Gary Patterson.

Definitly look for "Revolution in the Head" by Ian Macdonald, it goes song by song through the beatles catalog and it is easily the most interesting and informative accounts that I have read.

Seconded.

Definitly look for "Revolution in the Head" by Ian Macdonald, it goes song by song through the beatles catalog and it is easily the most interesting and informative accounts that I have read.

Yep.

I highly recommend

5caa923f8da0fffb5d7d9010.L.jpg

by Mark Lewisohn

A day-by-day log of exactly what the Beatles recorded. It's more of a reference, but is a fascinating read because of the immense detail.

Example:

Thursday 28 April, 1966

Studio Two: 5.00-7.50pm. Recording: 'Eleanor Rigby' (takes 1-14, tape reduction take 14 into take 15). P: George Martin E: Geoff Emerick 2E: Phil McDonald

It too was inspired and beautiful. It too - excepting backing vocals - featured just Paul and outside session musicians, no other Beatles. It too was scored by George Martin. But that was where the comparisons ended. 'Eleanor Rigby' was certainlyl no rehash of 'Yesterday'.

Paul McCartney later agreed that, for him, the 1966/67 period was "a pretty hot one". And he is known to favour his work on Revolver above most other material. Hardly surprising, really. His contribution to the LP - four of the songs in particular - are outstanding pieces of modern music.

'Eleanor Rigby' is one of those four, the image-conjuring lyric making a perfect marriage with George Martin's great score. Paul attended the session on this day with John, both sitting up in the studio two control room, conducting their conversations with George Martin via the talkback system, George being down on the studio floor conducting the musicians. This time there were eight - a double string quartet. Tony Gilbert was first violinist, leading Sidney Sax, John Sharpe and Jurgen Hess. The violas were played by Stephen Shingles and John Underwood and the cellists were Derek Simpson and Norman Jones.

Stephen Shingles has a rather caustic memory of the session: "I got about

Recording the Beatles: The Studio Equipment and Techniques Used to Create Their Classic Albums by Kevin Ryan and Brian Kehew

rtb-big2.jpg

Never before has there been such an absolutely thorough and definitive look at how the Beatles' albums were recorded. Years of research and extensive interviews with the group's former engineers and technicians shed new light on those classic sessions. With a detailed look at every piece of studio gear used, full explanations of effects and recording processes, and an inside look at how specific songs were recorded, Recording The Beatles is a must-have for any Beatles fan or recording engineer. Hardcover, 11" x 11", 540 pages, over 500 photos and illustrations, color and black and white, includes slipcase and bonus items, ISBN:0-9785200-0-9

Looks good, but $100 is a bit hefty for me. It does look like shipping is free, though.

dcd

That is true - I paid three bucks for the hard cover edition I have - I think it was going for several hundred dollars at one point. The other one is probably better - as it covers all the shows, concerts, movies, - everything. But - as I mentioned, the old one does have photos that are not in the new version. A lot of them are Linda McCartney photos.

I do like the Geoff Emerick book, though.

HereThereEmerickbookcover.jpg

I'm currently reading Geoff Emerick's book and recommend it.

With so many Beatle books, it's hard to name just one. Kind of depends what aspect of the Beatles you want to read about. I have a rather large Beatle library, going back to mid-70s books. There is an old one I like named "Apple To The Core", written by a hippie teenager who was working at Apple.

The Beatles Anthology book is good for an overview, in their own words (lots of this comes from the video series interviews) The paperback version isn't as expensive as the hard cover...

The Recording Sessions / Chronicles are very interesting if you are into the aspect; time spent in the studio.

The Bruce Spizer books on the American LPs are expensive, but cool if you are into collecting Beatles on vinyl.

Have fun reading about the fabs...