I've never heard em. Thanks for the link, I'll check that out to see if it warrants arriving early.

I love Low.

Low is to me a very solitary listening kind of music, very moody. I love listening to them late at night, on the headphones. At the same time they can be sonically beautiful, they can also be somewhat disturbingly intense. The voices and harmonies are almost other-wordly.

VIDEOS:

Here's the video from "Monkey" which is from The Great Destroyer (2005) which I love. It's less slowcore.

Low - "Whitetail" from Things We Lost in the Fire (2001) which some people think is their best.

This is gorgeous ... "Shame" from Long Division (1995). Mimi Parker's voice is haunting.

DVD/documentary of their tour through Europe (2004) - here's a clip from Plexifilm and if you want to see the whole thing - I thought it was really well done.

http://plexi.co.uk/low.html#

(In the interest of time, some of what I just posted here is excerpted from a PM I sent to a VC friend. I need to check the links, some may not still be active. But IMO anyone who thinks Low sucks probably doesn't like their genre as a whole, because they most certainly do not suck. They are different, definitely not everybody's thing.)

Low are great. Real excited to see them in support on this tour.

Drums and Guns is a pretty evocative album.

Also a big fan of Great Destroyer and Things we lost in the fire.

What he said. :thumbup

Drums and Guns is all I've heard, whilst preparing for the Davenport show a little bit. I think it's a pretty decent album. It was much more melodic than I thought they would be after hearing things word of mouth and reading up on them a little bit. Definitely looking forward to their set, one of my friends that I'm going with is a pretty big fan of theirs.

actually low is a really solid opening band compared to lots of shows

Agreed.....that is not my point...

Opening bands get very little respect (Califone being the one group I saw open for Wilco that actually garnered some well deserved attention.) I was just expressing that Low's low key performing style may not work very well in getting people's attention during what is usually a pretty tough slot.

LouieB

Agreed.....that is not my point...

Opening bands get very little respect (Califone being the one group I saw open for Wilco that actually garnered some well deserved attention.) I was just expressing that Low's low key performing style may not work very well in getting people's attention during what is usually a pretty tough slot.

LouieB

My Morning Jacket did ok opening for Wilco...actually they rocked the house.

My Morning Jacket did ok opening for Wilco...actually they rocked the house.
Uh...I think that is my point...I have never seen MMJ, but I suspect they have a bit more energy than Low.

I can't really get into Low. I'll be seeing them with Wilco on this tour but it's just stuff like "BeeeeellaaaaaruuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUuuuuUUUUusssssss" that really bugs me.
I think Low is great when you are in the mood, but I keep thinking that they may hit alot of Wilco fans exactly the wrong way. Opening acts often get the shit, simply because everyone is up for the main event.

LouieB

i cant stand mmj, but anyways...i actually think low will be recieved better than people expect

I hope so..I think they deserve it...but I have seen Wilco fans be pretty rude to many an opening group.

See the Davenport group..someone reported that no one listened to them.

LouieB

Wow.. MMJ and Wilco.. I bet that rocked.. That's a hell of a bill.

At the Agganis in Boston.....it was actually one of my favorite shows ever....I had heard of MMJ at the time but never seen them...i made a great decision to get there early and see their whole set.....it was awesome..and then Wilco put on one of the best shows i've seen them play...ended with Dylan I Shall Be Released with Tweedy in a BU hockey jersey they gave him....you kinda knew right then it was the last time MMJ would be opening for them...way too much energy and rock.

I hope so..I think they deserve it...but I have seen Wilco fans be pretty rude to many an opening group.

See the Davenport group..someone reported that no one listened to them.

LouieB

I really wouldn't agree with that...I thought for an opening band they did get folks' attention in a positive manner. It was pretty sparse in there at first anyway. I thought they did a really good set... the sound and intensity built up and by the time they were done people were paying attention and clapping for them.

what should i be listening to from Low's catalog to get ready for the upcoming shows? are they playing all newer stuff or a mix. i am completely unfamiliar with Low's music so any guidance would help.

At the Agganis in Boston.....it was actually one of my favorite shows ever....I had heard of MMJ at the time but never seen them...i made a great decision to get there early and see their whole set.....it was awesome..and then Wilco put on one of the best shows i've seen them play...ended with Dylan I Shall Be Released with Tweedy in a BU hockey jersey they gave him....you kinda knew right then it was the last time MMJ would be opening for them...way too much energy and rock.

was at that show...it was awesome

I really wouldn't agree with that...I thought for an opening band they did get folks' attention in a positive manner. It was pretty sparse in there at first anyway. I thought they did a really good set... the sound and intensity built up and by the time they were done people were paying attention and clapping for them.
I wasn't there and you were, so your report must be correct (unless you want to argue with the guy who said they got little attention.)

LouieB

what should i be listening to from Low's catalog to get ready for the upcoming shows? are they playing all newer stuff or a mix. i am completely unfamiliar with Low's music so any guidance would help.

was at that show...it was awesome

I would recommend their latest album "Drums and Guns".. I assume they will be performing many songs off of it live. It's pretty unique music.. Slow, dark, moody, electronic music with haunting vocals.. I may be way off, but for some reason it reminds me of Bjork.. atleast the music does..

They are kind of out of place opening for Wilco, but I'm looking forward to seeing them.

I would recommend their latest album "Drums and Guns".. I assume they will be performing many songs off of it live. It's pretty unique music.. Slow, dark, moody, electronic music with haunting vocals.. I may be way off, but for some reason it reminds me of Bjork.. atleast the music does..

They are kind of out of place opening for Wilco, but I'm looking forward to seeing them.

I disagree with this (in a friendly way), I think they fit in rather well. Wilco must dig them because they are doing this entire leg of the tour.

LouieB

I disagree with this (in a friendly way), I think they fit in rather well. Wilco must dig them because they are doing this entire leg of the tour.

LouieB

I guess it's hard to find a band that is a perfect fit to open for Wilco but I guess if you look at it in a certain way, Low can fit in well.. If you're like me, I don't think about the style of music of an opening band or wether they fit in.. All that matters is if I enjoy the music or not.