Dream Wilco Cover Song?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I didn't read through the thread all the way so if these have been mentioned sorry

Rolling Stones "Dead Flowers" I can imagine Nels going all crazy on the steel guitar on that

Grateful Dead "New Speedway Boogie" Imagine Jeff droning on one way or another, one way or another......

Grateful Dead "Brokedown Palace" would be a way cool show closing tune

I know I know some folks would faint at the Dead being covered but a lot (if not all) the songs from Working Man's Dead or American Beauty are right down their alley. Not all dead songs are 45 minute melt down jams......not that there is anything wrong with those :thumbup

I'm hearing a lot of people mention The Dead..but is Jeff Tweedy a Dead fan? You guys know FAR more than I ever would about the man, but just from the things I've read here and there, he doesn't strike me as a Dead fan at all...Self proclaimed attitude coping former musical elitist indie record store clerk, who would "snear at his customers purchases"..Thats how he described himself as a younger man anyways. I don't know..that just doesn't conjure up an image of Deadhead for me..Of course, you can certainly enjoy a few Dead tunes without being a Deadhead (much like myself), but from an outsiders perspective, it just seems to me like a decision they wouldn't make..Interesting..

Edit: But this thread is about what "Your" dream covers would be not neccessarily what the band would choose right? It's all good in that case...

As a poster mentions below, they have played Ripple before (and with Phil Lesh, too). But there is also a recording of Tweedy solo singing (jokingly?) that he is not a Dead fan. Froggie may have that recording, I think . . .

As a poster mentions below, they have played Ripple before (and with Phil Lesh, too). But there is also a recording of Tweedy solo singing (jokingly?) that he is not a Dead fan. Froggie may have that recording, I think . . .

yeah I have a recording of that (ripple) it's pretty good.

Just thinking some of the Dead's tunes would sound quite nice in the hands of Wilco, it ain't like I'm sayin' they should cover Brittany Spears tunes :barf

THAT would drive some to suicide....can you imagine the outburst in here if that happened? Make the "controversy" thread seem tame in comparison....ok Jesus I gotta get that outta my head WTF is wrong with me?

Guest ChooChooCharlie
hows about I wont back down, from Tom Petty?

Oh Yeah..I forgot about Tom Petty..I would love to hear "The Waiting"..Such a great melody!!

"Ted, just admit it" Jane's Addiction

Janes "Nothing's Shocking" would probably have to be in at least my personal top 5 favorite Records of all time ...I thought about Wilco covering one those tracks, but then couldn't really get with the idea...It would be interesting to hear though...

Guest ChooChooCharlie
it ain't like I'm sayin' they should cover Brittany Spears tunes :barf

THAT would drive some to suicide....can you imagine the outburst in here if that happened? Make the "controversy" thread seem tame in comparison....ok Jesus I gotta get that outta my head WTF is wrong with me?

Ya see..That is a very interesting point you made...As yes, I completely agree with what you are saying about how fans would react to such a decision, as a writer though, I think of it from a different perspective..

Artists like Britney Spears or any number of commercial pop icons tunes, are almost always written (or co written- which is just a diplomatic way of saying "Let the little whiney bitches ego remain intact) by an extremely gifted pop songwriter. These writers usually have a very rich and complicated sense of melody. The artists are then put into a studio with the type of major label producer who manufactures their sound to appeal to whatever wider audience is bringing in the revenue that year.

The melodies themselves (at least in my opinion), come from a pure place, but are released in a genere that lacks cred. I actually think Wilco covering a great many of these "mega hit singles" would restore that song back to where it belongs..as a well crafted, melody rich pop song, which Wilco does so well. And lyrically, well..it would just kinda be comical to hear Tweedy belting out some of those, but it would be all in good fun and I think a lot of the tunes would really just sound fantastic...

the beatles " happiness is a warm gun"

I REALLY like that one. I can very easily imagine Tweedy screaming "WHEN I HOLD YOU" and John and Pat singing backup "Bang Bang, Shoot Shoot"

Guest ChooChooCharlie
I REALLY like that one. I can very easily imagine Tweedy screaming "WHEN I HOLD YOU" and John and Pat singing backup "Bang Bang, Shoot Shoot"

Just from my own immature musical elitist past, my first instinct would say the idea of anyone attempting a Beatles cover would be a little cliche', but YES!!

HIAWG is easily imaginable especially with the "Bang Bang Shoot Shoot" backup vocals. Actually, I'm pretty sure The Breeders covered it on "Pod"..Sounds great too!

"Closer to the Edge" -Yes

Yes's "Close to the Edge" was practically played on a loop in my dad's car growing up...For that reason alone I love the record, but listening to anyone cover a track from it is forever ruined as all I can hear is my Rock N' Roll dad enthusiastically singing along off key..I have a few Rock N' Roll hero's, but my dad will always be my first :D