Dream Wilco Cover Song?

What is/are your top song(s) you want Wilco to cover?

I'd really like something by the Grateful Dead, like Box Of Rain or Eyes Of The World. Other ideas of mine are This Must Be The Place (Naive Medley) by Talking Heads and Fool In The Rain or The Ocean by Zeppelin. I'd like to see some Who get covered, too, like more obscure stuff (Cut My Hair, 5:15, The Real Me - John would have to turn into a beast if they did Real Me) Hell, they should just pull a Phish and cover all of The Who's Quadrophenia.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would probably take my own life if wilco started covering the dead, zeppelin or phish.

Yea, I agree, a Dead or Zep cover by Wilco sounds dreadful and a Phish cover would induce mass suicide here.

LouieB

In the current config I think they could probably do justice to some older rock classics....8 Miles High, Mustang Sally.. maybe a few CCR tunes. (Long As I can See The Light)

Wilco's good enuff playing their own stuff, I think a more interesting topic would be who could / who should cover some Wilco tunes? Joe Cocker in his prime was the King of covers, IMHO - listen to Sheffield Steel if you doubt me. I'd listen to Joe take on Via Chicago or What Light any day. Steely Dan or Pink Floyd could do interesting takes on Wilco, too..

I've always thought about Jugband Blues---Syd Barrett/Pink Floyd

I've always fantasized of YHF-style "Dont Think Twice its Alright" or any of those Dylan songs from that era really.

:thumbup

Not too many guys could sneer out Pos 4th Street or LARS, but Tweedy could.

Nothing really comes to mind with current band line-up. But in the BT days, they likely would have done some rip-roarin Stones songs (don't know the history so may indeed be some of these covers).

:pirate

Someone mentioned Eight Miles High...that whole late '60s southern CA pop shit comes to my mind as well. Eight Miles would simply kill...Nels could do that guitar solo at the end like a mad man. I've also thought about California Dreamin. They certainly have the vocals to pull it off. Back in the day (BT tour) I saw them play You Shook Me All Night Long...and yes...it rocked like nothing else, so maybe they could pull out Highway to Hell?

I'd like to hear them do

The Band - The Night The Drove Old Dixie Down

Bob Dylan - Most of the Time

The Hollies - Bus Stop

But that's just me