Hey, same Sloan. I was sitting on the end of the row next to the board.

I just listened to a little more of the recording, and the rain is a little louder than I first thought, but it's still not really distracting.

As always, Sloan, thank you very kindly for taping. I know that if a good tape could be pulled in those conditions, you're the one that could do it.

Rain + volume restrictions + chatty Chastain is daunting, but it seems that most agree that the guys stepped up and rewarded those who braved it.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either Way

You Are My Face

Impossible Germany

Sky Blue Sky

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Kamera

Handshake Drugs

Shot In The Arm

Side With The Seeds

Shake It Off

War On War

Jesus Etc.

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

E1:) Via Chicago

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

E2:) Heavy Metal Drummer

Outtasite (Outta Mind)

Thanks again Sloan.

AWATT, were those your two boys being rotated in and out on the wilco attraction? i figured so. Haha. I loved how many kids we saw there...it was awesome.

Anyhoo, we had a blast. Kids dancing in the rain. Splashing around. She was happy to hear Jesus, etc. We had some chatty folks behind us, but no big deal. During "Shake it Off" all I could hear around us was idle chatter...but all in all an awesome show. The Chastain crew was really nice. My only regret is not bringing our own ponchos and being forced to spend twenty smackers on four garbage bags with hoodies...but honestly, nothing to complain about. Totally awesome first show experience for my daughter. She bought her first Wilco shirt. The cute little baby doll tee (turquoise) with the guitar neck "attack with love". The venue was better than I anticipated. Our seats were closer than I had figured. Sound WAS a little low, but I figured that was from the rain noise. Can't wait to get home and re-listen to the show if it's still up or posted by then.

For further justification of our plights, JT acknowledges us in the back rows as the new hardcore fans. HOLLA!!!

I'll second that the level of chatter during Shake it off was high, and a little distracting too. Other than Shake it off, the crowd (from my pov) looked really into it. I loving being in the pit at any show, the energy is always high and the view is always good.

had a buddy from ATL go to his 1st show last night and here is what he said about it ...

... and we were sitting in the 14th row, dead center with that empty aisle in front of us. ...

Sounds like your friend was right next to me and my wife.

so last night I'm talking to an old tour bud of mine about how much rain, etc.

we had...he recalled it wasn't the wettest Wilco show we had seen.

anyone recall the 10/18/97 show in Greenville, SC?

it was a radio sponsored gig with Gov't Mule and a few others. went basically all day

in a (minor) baseball stadium. It rained the entire day.

Link to Atlanta torrent

Wilco - 6/19/07

Chastain Park Amphitheater - Atlanta, GA

Disc One:

01) Either Way

02) You Are My Face

03) Impossible Germany

04) Sky Blue Sky

05) I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

06) Kamera

07) Handshake Drugs

08) Shot In The Arm

09) Side With The Seeds

10) Shake It Off

Disc Two:

01) War On War

02) Jesus Etc.

03) Hate It Here

04) Walken

05) I'm The Man Who Loves You

06) Hummingbird

07) E1:) Via Chicago

08) Spiders (Kidsmoke)

09) E2:) Heavy Metal Drummer

10) Outtasite (Outta Mind)

www.wilcoworld.net

Source: Neumann KM-184(DIN)> Lunatec V2> Nomad Jukebox 3

Transfer: Nomad Jukebox 3> Firewire> Cool Edit Pro(DSP)> CDWave> FLAC Frontend

[Thanks to Stan Doty (Wilco FOH) for graciously allowing me space under the soundboard canopy to keep my gear dry]

Recorded and transferred by Sloan Simpson

A friend just sent me this notice of live version now available:

The concert began in near-hurricane conditions, with a massive storm

front entering the area exactly at the time of the concert. Massive

downpours, thunder, lightning, and huge gusts of wind descended upon the

area, and drenched all involved. Most of the tapers were forced to seek

shelter and break down their equipment.

This recording was possible because the taper braved the conditions and

managed to get some shelter under the canopy. The rain hitting the

canopy is audible on the recording, along with the sound of the roadies

clearing off buckets of rain from the top of the tent. It gives a brief

sonic glimpse of the surroundings.

but that noise probably doesn't last through the whole show...

that was just part of it.

and it totally wasn't "near hurricane conditions" i don't think i heard thunder either.... strange.

I'm new here, found the board after looking for reviews/comment on the Chastain show.

That little kid who knew all the words was my 7 year-old son, Kobe. He does indeed know all the words to all the songs - do I sound proud? Yes, we were invited backstage by Pat's sister. Much of his family was in the fifth row behind us. They were so thoughtful to invite us!

Wilco was really wonderful with my son. I'm sure you all know that the guys are exceptionally down-to-earth. They posed for pictures with him, and spent time speaking with him. They were just so NICE to him!

I agree with the comments about the rain - somehow, it made the experience that much more memorable!

I'm new here, found the board after looking for reviews/comment on the Chastain show.

That little kid who knew all the words was my 7 year-old son, Kobe. He does indeed know all the words to all the songs - do I sound proud? Yes, we were invited backstage by Pat's sister. Much of his family was in the fifth row behind us. They were so thoughtful to invite us!

Wilco was really wonderful with my son. I'm sure you all know that the guys are exceptionally down-to-earth. They posed for pictures with him, and spent time speaking with him. They were just so NICE to him!

I agree with the comments about the rain - somehow, it made the experience that much more memorable!

I was there backstage and saw you guys...your kid is great!

and it totally wasn't "near hurricane conditions" i don't think i heard thunder either.... strange.

Yeah, whoever wrote that is wrong. The rain poured straight down. That, in itself, is pretty unusual for Atlanta rain. If it had been windy the rain would have been coming down at an angle. I did not hear any thunder nor see any lightning.

This was only my second time to see wilco (the first coming in Meridian MS last march) and I must say that everything about this show was spectacular. Every song from Sky Blue Sky was perfect, and when they played via Chicago I almost cried. The rain wasn't bad under my poncho, and I didn't really hear much talking (row M seat 118). The sound wasn't bad but I really only have one show to compare it with so I'm not sure if it is usually louder, but I found it rather enjoyable. And this version of Spiders was the best one that I think I've ever heard the guys play. Everything about this show made the 7 hour drive, in the rain, worth it. Hopefully I can see them when they play at the Austin City Limits festival.

am now getting caught up on everyone's reviews of the show (am finally home and not quite recovered from going from atlanta to charlotte to merriweather, but wow!).

after the charlotte show, myself and my friend waited by the buses and got to talk to everyone in the band. Nels was great. his take on the rain and this show was really great to hear. he said they couldn't actually see the rain from the stage unless a camera flash went off, but they could hear it and couldn't believe how hard it was coming down. he said there was a mist that kept coming up off the stage and everything was pretty much damp. he was also worried people couldn't easily retreat to shelter or chose to leave if they didn't want to endure the rain. i told him a couple people in front of me had left, so that definitely wasn't the case. he was relieved.

glenn commented on how great the atlanta crowd was and how much energy there was. in his comparisson to the charlotte show, charlotte was much more mellow and thought the merriweather show would be more like atlanta, it was, but the pouring really did make a difference!

Link to Atlanta torrent

Wilco - 6/19/07

Chastain Park Amphitheater - Atlanta, GA

Disc One:

01) Either Way

02) You Are My Face

03) Impossible Germany

04) Sky Blue Sky

05) I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

06) Kamera

07) Handshake Drugs

08) Shot In The Arm

09) Side With The Seeds

10) Shake It Off

Disc Two:

01) War On War

02) Jesus Etc.

03) Hate It Here

04) Walken

05) I'm The Man Who Loves You

06) Hummingbird

07) E1:) Via Chicago

08) Spiders (Kidsmoke)

09) E2:) Heavy Metal Drummer

10) Outtasite (Outta Mind)

www.wilcoworld.net

Source: Neumann KM-184(DIN)> Lunatec V2> Nomad Jukebox 3

Transfer: Nomad Jukebox 3> Firewire> Cool Edit Pro(DSP)> CDWave> FLAC Frontend

[Thanks to Stan Doty (Wilco FOH) for graciously allowing me space under the soundboard canopy to keep my gear dry]

Recorded and transferred by Sloan Simpson

thanks again!

I was in row 10, right behind the taper in row 9 and he did record the whole set but didn't think it turned out too well because of all the rain. I asked him if he'd post something here and he seemed to think the Via Chicago forums were still down. He said he'd email me if he posts the set somewhere and I'll let y'all know if I hear anything.

I got a bunch of great photos during the show--brought me real camera with me and was able to get in pretty close. There are currently 3 pics up, 2 of Jeff and a close-up of Nels, on my Flickr site, and I'll add a whole lot more as soon as I get some time to go through and clean them up. Here's a link to the Wilco set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scrivenings/s...57600408621166/

I'll also get shots from the last day of Bonnaroo, including Wilco's set, up soon. I was in the pit, maybe 10 or 15 rows back, for that show and think I got some decent pictures. The Bonnaroo set is here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scrivenings/s...57600390805815/

I've seen Wilco a half-dozen times and each one has been excellent in different ways. I agree with everyone that the Chastain show had a really great energy to it, probably because of the rain. We didn't have too much chattiness around us, though it's been a major problem with previous shows at that venue. Reading about the guy who got invited backstage with his 7 year old makes me wish I'd brought my daughter with me to the show! ;)

I got a bunch of great photos during the show--brought me real camera with me and was able to get in pretty close. There are currently 3 pics up, 2 of Jeff and a close-up of Nels, on my Flickr site, and I'll add a whole lot more as soon as I get some time to go through and clean them up. Here's a link to the Wilco set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scrivenings/s...57600408621166/

When you get the rest of them up would you mind if I saved and printed some of them for my photo album? I collect concert shots from shows I've been too...most of my pictures turn out like crap. I'll upload them tomorrow... if I don't forget the camera when I go to work...