Led Zeppelin reunion??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is this Bob person and why do so many care what he wrote? Did I miss a link? Is it the mysterious Bob from "Twin Peaks"?

A-man can explain him further, but he's a pretty interesting dude with a great blog.

Bob from Twin Peaks - he turned out to be Laura Palmer's dad, right? Or something?

A-man can explain him further, but he's a pretty interesting dude with a great blog.

Bob from Twin Peaks - he turned out to be Laura Palmer's dad, right? Or something?

To be precise, a demon possessing Leland, who then went on to possess [spoiler redacted]!

Who is this Bob person and why do so many care what he wrote? Did I miss a link? Is it the mysterious Bob from "Twin Peaks"?

I discovered his rants via Rhino.com - sometimes I dig what he says, other times I think he is full of shit:

Who is Bob Lefsetz

Bob Lefsetz is the author of "The Lefsetz Letter." Famous for being beholden to no one and speaking the truth, Lefsetz addresses the issues that are at the core of the music business: downloading, copy protection, pricing and the music itself.

His intense brilliance captivates readers from Steven Tyler to Rick Nielsen to Bryan Adams to Quincy Jones to EVERYBODY who

here's what our friend Fricksy says about the show:

http://robalini.blogspot.com/2007/12/led-z...from-david.html

Led Zeppelin: The Full Report From David Fricke

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/176...om_david_fricke

Led Zeppelin: The Full Report From David Fricke

DAVID FRICKE

Posted Dec 11, 2007

For the second encore of their first, full concert in twenty-seven years, at London's 02 arena last night, Led Zeppelin tore into "Rock and Roll," from their untitled fourth album, with a joyful vengeance. As drummer Jason Bonham hammered with the ghostly precision and ferocity of his late father, guitarist Jimmy Page fired dirty chunks of Chuck Berry and bassist John Paul Jones kept iron time with familiar reserve, singer Robert Plant sang the most obvious words of the night: "Been a long time since I rock and rolled." Overhead, images of a much younger Zeppelin, in concert during the early and mid-Seventies, flashed on a huge digital-video screen. In those films, Led Zeppelin were the biggest, loudest and most cocksure band in rock. Jimmy Page's now snow-white hair was still jet black; Robert Plant was a golden god, not yet a Viking elder, and the late John Bonham

My friend went to this show, and to hear him talk about it it was the second coming. It's a nice thing that they did for charity, but how about being charitable to their own legacy by not raping it. I went to the Police and it was not worth 150. A simple, crass, yet no punch-pulling affair. A simple cash in. It goes back to what Bill Hicks said, "How much money is enough?". That's why I love bands with principles (The Clash, Pink Floyd, WILCO, REM). I saw Roger Waters for $50, sans The Floyd, and it was excellent. The man has integrity (and rightful ownership of his pig, apparently.) REM was offered tens of millions of dollars to use It's the End of the world as we know it for Microsoft Window's ads. Stipe said "That song is not for sale." Then Mick Jagger and company jump at the chance. But it's terribly hard to second guess poor taste, look at the Spice Girls revival, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do a tour.

I don't think Zep "raped" their legacy, like the Police did. (By all accounts, their shows sucked.) I think LZ sounded damn good and certainly did not embarrass themselves in any way.

Me? It'd be all right with me if they went on tour. I might even go.

Me? It'd be all right with me if they went on tour. I might even go.

HA! No, I meant Luke. I go round and round on both sides of the issue of integrity whenever the great dinosaurs contemplate roaming the earth once again.

But if Zeppelin tours the States how can I not make the effort to go?

My friend went to this show, and to hear him talk about it it was the second coming. It's a nice thing that they did for charity, but how about being charitable to their own legacy by not raping it. I went to the Police and it was not worth 150. A simple, crass, yet no punch-pulling affair. A simple cash in. It goes back to what Bill Hicks said, "How much money is enough?". That's why I love bands with principles (The Clash, Pink Floyd, WILCO, REM). I saw Roger Waters for $50, sans The Floyd, and it was excellent. The man has integrity (and rightful ownership of his pig, apparently.) REM was offered tens of millions of dollars to use It's the End of the world as we know it for Microsoft Window's ads. Stipe said "That song is not for sale." Then Mick Jagger and company jump at the chance. But it's terribly hard to second guess poor taste, look at the Spice Girls revival, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do a tour.

So you don't believe your friend at all? The 'second coming' comment, although overblown to be sure, does jibe with many other accounts of this one-off show.

You then launch into a rant about money - yet you seem to realize that the LZ show was for charity, so I guess there's no need to remind you of this, right?

Also, your list of bands with 'principles' is spurious: The Clash made an album - a terrible, terrible one - after losing a key member. Pink Floyd reunited with Waters in 2005. WILCO sold their songs to a car company. And REM carried on for years without their drummer after once promising that they'd never call themselves REM if all four members were not in the band. They've also reunited (at least) once.

I'm not putting down these bands for doing what they've done (except maybe that Clash album), but rather wondering why you think their integrity is whole while LZ's is not.

And - say what you want about the Rolling Stones licensing of their music (again, your boy WILCO did essentially the same thing), they've never, ever had an actual reunion tour, because they've never broken up.

Also - REM has let their songs be used in TV shows, and there are Clash songs in commericials now too. Pink Floyd - I don't know. What was that album called? Cut the Crap?

Yes - I adopted a copy of that LP when I met my wife. Crap indeed.

Terry or the other drummer - I forget which - actually played with Sabbath for a spell. The only Clash albums I own are London Calling, Sandinista!, and Combat Rock. I don't think I have listened to them in a very long time. When I first got the cassette of London Calling, it did not have that one song listed among the track list.

You're ranting about money and cashing in, but Led Zeppelin did this show for free, and in fact donated hundreds of thousands of pounds of their own on top of their time and effort to the charity. Now it looks quite unlikely that a tour will happen, so they're not cashing in there, either.

And yet, you acknowledged that it was a charity show in your second sentence. What, then, is your complaint? That they played at all? Are you saying that aging musicians aren't supposed to play any more? Or are you just someone who never liked Led Zeppelin in the first place?

Train in Vain. It was left off because it was going to be a free flexidisc in NME or something but then they changed their plans.

I recall reading somewhere that it was because they were still working on the album after the album/cassette art had been created. This reminds me - those were the days when songs were not listed in the order they were actually in on the album - I always hated that.

Man. Mr. Page ripped it the f up on "Dazed and Confused."

interview with mini bonham:

Led Zeppelin tour? Don't be greedy,says drummer.

12/18/2007 7:20 PM, Reuters

Still buzzing from Led Zeppelin's reunion show in

London last week, drummer Jason Bonham says he's

the wrong person to ask about any touring plans

for the British rock legends.

"I'm still the new guy, and I wouldn't know,"

said Bonham, who filled in for his late father,

John Bonham. "Is it gonna be again? Don't be

greedy ... If they do it again, of course I would

love to. But that's up to them. Only time will

tell."

Led Zeppelin tour rumors have persisted in recent

weeks, with plenty of chatter about a series of

stadium shows. But nothing has yet been

confirmed, and singer Robert Plant has already

begun scheduling late-spring shows with Alison

Krauss.

Bonham said his discussions with Plant, guitarist

Jimmy Page and bassist/keyboardist John Paul

Jones following the December 10 show at the O2

area centered on "thanks for the best Christmas

present I could ask for."

He said the experience "still ... kinda feels

surreal, like it never really happened in some

way." But he felt that the show, part of a

tribute to the late Atlantic Records co-founder

Ahmet Ertegun, provided some vindication after

what he felt was a sub-par performance with Led

Zeppelin at the Atlantic Records' 40th

anniversary concert in 1988 in New York.

"I had to work at it, really prove that I could

do it and not just say, 'Hey, I'm John Bonham's

son. I should be doing it,"' he explained. "I put

a lot of work into it ... listening to all the

different live versions I had. You've got to earn

this, 'cause there's a million drummers out there

that would love to cut your throat right now and

take over.

"I'm amazed. I pulled it off," he added. "So it's

very special for me, just ... everything. If

you'd have wanted a moment for everyone to get it

right at one point, that was it."

Bonham returns to his regular drum chair in

Foreigner at the end of the month for a couple of

shows in Florida -- where he and his family

reside -- including a New Year's Eve date with

the B-52's in Orlando.

Reuters/Billboard

Hey, attack the Clash's records all you want, but Coda and Presence ain't so hot either.

I would never rag on The Clash, and Coda is just so-so but damn man I have to take exception with Presence - I bought that record when it came out and it is still ( to me ) one of the best rock guitar albums ever.