Led Zeppelin reunion??

gotta say that PiL looking to celebrate their 40th, just ten years later than LZ, is sobering to think about.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/public-image-ltd-tour-2018/

in other Plant news, my photos and review from last week's show:

https://digboston.com/fotobom-robert-plant-the-orpheum/

p2753056814-4.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gotta say that PiL looking to celebrate their 40th, just ten years later than LZ, is sobering to think about.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/public-image-ltd-tour-2018/

in other Plant news, my photos and review from last week's show:

https://digboston.com/fotobom-robert-plant-the-orpheum/

p2753056814-4.jpg

Thanks for sharing both of those. I love that Robert Plant has continued to make meaningful music (unlike Mr. Jagger and Mr. Townsend).

• 11 months later...

This review (it's from October, 2018, so apologies for its staleness) made me laugh.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

Someone asked me why I don't care for Greta Van Fleet, and my thoughts were always along the lines of "I'll just put on a Zeppelin album if I want to hear Zeppelin."

This review (it's from October, 2018, so apologies for its staleness) made me laugh.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

Someone asked me why I don't care for Greta Van Fleet, and my thoughts were always along the lines of "I'll just put on a Zeppelin album if I want to hear Zeppelin."

My thoughts are, "I'll just put on Stillwater if I want to hear Stillwater."

I think their SNL appearance did them more harm than good.  I don't like them, but I was hopeful that they'd do something that surprised me.   To be fair, I guess I was a little surprised they went the Poison power balled route on their second song.  I still hope they'll grow into something worthwhile, but after that performance I'm more doubtful than I was before.

In related news, I'm the guy who said Kings of Leon had the potential to become one of American's great bands.  That turned out to be dead wrong.

In related news, I'm the guy who said Kings of Leon had the potential to become one of American's great bands.  That turned out to be dead wrong.

their first album had a couple great great songs. A real bummer when subsequent music came out.

I think the Zeppelin comparisons are not quite accurate. I don't hear the turn-on-a-dime fluidity and technical chops of The Mighty Zeppelin. A fairer comparison might be early Alice Cooper. A bit more blue collar. 

Zeppelin seems (to me) to be so much above any of the countless imitators and wanna be's - Purple at the height of their came came fairly close - but really, the standard they set can't be equaled. It's not fair for anything that has came since.

This is hilarious. A friend of mine went to see them in Arizona not too long ago. Said it was the worst show (and worst sound mixing) he had been to in years.

I think the Zeppelin comparisons are not quite accurate. I don't hear the turn-on-a-dime fluidity and technical chops of The Mighty Zeppelin. A fairer comparison might be early Alice Cooper. A bit more blue collar. 

Zeppelin seems (to me) to be so much above any of the countless imitators and wanna be's - Purple at the height of their came came fairly close - but really, the standard they set can't be equaled. It's not fair for anything that has came since.

I think there is a Zeppelin similarity on a very surface level. All the people I know who are excited about them make the Zep comparison. But of course if you listen closely the comparison falls apart. And these kids have listened to and by influenced by a lot of Zeppelin. Doubt they've listened to Alice Cooper. I think the lead singer sounds more like Geddy Lee than Plant, which is not good.

their first album had a couple great great songs. A real bummer when subsequent music came out.

Agreed.  Youth & Young Manhood is a terrific album.  The rest of their output is unlistenable,  They have been on my axis of musical evil since their second album.    

I thought their second album had some good songs, too.  It's been so long I can't remember which ones they are.  I guess it had signs of what was to come, but by the third, they were totally unlistenable.  

The Zeppelin comparisons are not in their ability, but in what they're trying to do.  The silly outfits,  the physical mannerisms of the singer, the exact replica of Bonham's drums, Zeppelin style guitar and bass rigs (which had become the standard a long time, but isn't very common anymore), and the recording production style which is clearly going for that sound. 

They don't have the ability to get close to it, but they're going for it.

As for vocal sound, I hear much more Heart than Zeppelin.    

The Zeppelin comparisons are not in their ability, but in what they're trying to do.  The silly outfits,  the physical mannerisms of the singer, the exact replica of Bonham's drums, Zeppelin style guitar and bass rigs (which had become the standard a long time, but isn't very common anymore), and the recording production style which is clearly going for that sound. 

They don't have the ability to get close to it, but they're going for it.

As for vocal sound, I hear much more Heart than Zeppelin.    

Agree with all that. And whatever the singer is trying to do, he is just bad.