Why does Wilco hate the earth?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how much this massive concert will cost the environment

(I really don't wonder, I just thought it was the right thing to say at this point in the thread)

From Pete Townshend's blog:

Live Earth

There are still a few news sources suggesting that The Who are playing a part in the Live Earth Festival. We are not, but this should not be taken as a rebuff, we know what the organizers are trying to achieve. We were not invited. We are playing at Roskilde in Denmark, and so have not had to do what most participants must have done, which is to work out how to balance the Ying against the Yang of the whole thing. Festivals are energy consuming, but at least they involve gatherings of large numbers of real people coming together in a common cause, with joy, humour and optimism.

In London change has been forced on us. Traffic Congestion charging is an extreme way to get people to travel on trains and buses. It seems to be working. Many more people are riding push-bikes to work as well. I am not soft. I can ride a bike with little effort, even at 62 years old. I do love my car, but I don't mind walking or riding a bike. Roger and the band have made several long journeys on this European tour by train. I often use the train from my home town to central London. Once, when I mentioned the wonder of our local train service to Mick Jagger in a documentary, the British press took the piss. Better I buy a Hybrid car? Better I keep my old one and use it less I think.

But you don't need Pop Stars telling you how to save the planet. Neither do you need news services telling you the uncaring, selfish Pete Townshend travels with seventy guitar cases. (I carry about fifteen). Exaggeration has always been my weakness. Seventy does sound better. It's just not true. But when the Live Earth events are cited in the same news services as producing as much carbon as Afghanistan, you can see how lazy web-'journalism' creates hysteria, anger and pointless jealousy. Someone else suggested we travel with 1,000 tons of equipment (this extrapolated from the earlier report that we had 1,000 cases). I think 1,000 tons might be the weight of a small aircraft carrier you chumps. We all want to do our bit. What about next tour we don't take the surface to air missiles?

posted by Pete Townshend at 12:57 PM

Maybe the real question is why does Al Gore hate Wilco?

I'd guess their appearance at the Kongsberg Jazz Festival has probably been in the works for quite awhile. It might have simply been a scheduling conflict. Besides, Wilco in a stadium with the likes of Bon Jovi? That would make me cry.

Most of these bands suck, and are only there to grab the attention of people since they are apart of the big mainstream.

Most of these bands suck, and are only there to grab the attention of people since they are apart of the big mainstream.

Yeah. So most of the people, huh?

They ain't your people so they blow, right?

Now don't get me wrong, I don't know a lot of 'em, but let's not force our past on the kids. Christ....so younger kids appreciate utter shit?! SO WHAT?

Your folks thought your music was crap, too.

Plus...I love you.

Yeah. So most of the people, huh?

They ain't your people so they blow, right?

Now don't get me wrong, I don't know a lot of 'em, but let's not force our past on the kids. Christ....so younger kids appreciate utter shit?! SO WHAT?

Your folks thought your music was crap, too.

Plus...I love you.

First off, I am 18, and there are a million more better bands (nowadays bands) that could be playing this thing, then half of these bands.

Let's names name some whiney bands that are playing at these festivals:

AFI, Fall Out Boy, Linkin Park (yes they are whiney), and Taking Back Sunday

the next list is horrible horrible bands/artists:

David Matthews Band, Jack Johnson, James Blunt, John Mayer, Keith Urban, and Snow Patrol.

Bands/artists that have jumped the shark:

Bon Jovi, Chris Cornell, Duran Duran, Genesis, Madonna, Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Roger Waters, Snoop Dog, The Police.

In short, Kayne West and maybe Wolfmother are the only good artists. I mean seriously The Flaming Lips would have put on a fantastic show that would have created lots of press. Maybe bands such as Radiohead, Deerhoof, Wilco, and others that have more of an artistic depth to them rather than selling lots of records.

Wait. Genesis isn't good anymore?

First off, I am 18, and there are a million more better bands (nowadays bands) that could be playing this thing, then half of these bands.

Let's names name some whiney bands that are playing at these festivals:

AFI, Fall Out Boy, Linkin Park (yes they are whiney), and Taking Back Sunday

the next list is horrible horrible bands/artists:

David Matthews Band, Jack Johnson, James Blunt, John Mayer, Keith Urban, and Snow Patrol.

Bands/artists that have jumped the shark:

Bon Jovi, Chris Cornell, Duran Duran, Genesis, Madonna, Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Roger Waters, Snoop Dog, The Police.

In short, Kayne West and maybe Wolfmother are the only good artists. I mean seriously The Flaming Lips would have put on a fantastic show that would have created lots of press. Maybe bands such as Radiohead, Deerhoof, Wilco, and others that have more of an artistic depth to them rather than selling lots of records.

As the resident 18 (now 19) year old pop apologist, I'm going to go ahead and disagree with your statement that Jack Johnson, John Mayer and (in a live setting at least) Dave Matthews Band being "horrible". At the very least they make inoffensive music with catchy melodies and talented musicianship (This cannot be disputed for Mayer and Matthews. Mayer is sick on guitar, and Matthews has a hell of a band backing him). I'm also going to go ahead and disagree with you that Cornell, Metallica, RHCP, Roger Waters, Snoop Dogg, Madonna, or the Police having "jumped the shark" (Whatever that implies in music. They are all still extremely talented, entertaining performers who are simply past the peaks of their careers. They are still popular, and they still entertain tons of people.

And because Deerhoof and Wilco are going to raise awareness about anything. It'd be nice if artistic success and commercial success and exposure went hand in hand, but they don't and they rarely have. I think they did a pretty good job of getting big names that aren't completely crappy. Just because you think they are crappy doesn't mean everyone in the world agrees with you. I'd venture a guess that 99% of the population would rather hear Bon Jovi than Deerhoof.

The point of this thing has never been artistic credibility. The kind of bands (and pretension) you are looking for can be found at the Pitchfork Festival. But, if you want to raise awareness, Wayne Coyne singing about fighting robots isn't going to cut it. You may just need Patrick Stumpf to sing about scenes and arms races. If you can't understand that then you kind of missed the whole point of this event.

Why the fuck does Pete Townshend have a blog is a better question.

Actually, he has two! One is "Chronicles, excerpts and fragments from an evolving biography" and the other is "excerpts from my forthcoming memoirs. Book One - 1945-1969; and current matters including occasional fictions."

Pete's an excellent writer and has a lot to say. His recollections of LSD trips and early Pink Floyd concerts gives the reader an interesting view of the 1966-7 London rock and roll scene.

Wilco won't play it because they are too busy driving their 20 litre VWs around! Get with the program people!!! ;)

Waronwar: The point with these concerts is that they want the most people possible to pay attention to the message, so what's the problem with them being popular?

I know that the bands scheduled to play are there to draw attention, but I am sort of looking at it as a musical standpoint.

Honestly, most of these bands are not good. I know that it is just my opinion on the subject, but bands that are " are all still extremely talented, entertaining performers who are simply past the peaks of their careers. They are still popular, and they still entertain tons of people," as Nerdy McPosterson put it, are boring because that's just it. They are living in nostalgia, and not daring to shed their image. I could go on, but that's a whole another topic.

Moreover, John Mayer I find to be a bad attempt at Eric Clapton, and not to mention there is a whole another topic that was posted a while ago about John Mayer.

To me, I am basically mad because for the most part artistic depth and commerical success don't go together, which they should, but most people do not have an open mind towards music.