Why does Wilco hate the earth?

Fair enough but your points are really separate from the spirit of the event. It's not a music showcase, they're not here to teach people what they should be listening to - it's an event that they want to hit the most people with, therefore "worse" more popular bands are gonna be playing it. Honestly, did you really expect anything else?

My advice: find a good festival that plays good music (Primavera, perhaps?) and go to it and forget about the whole thing! :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flipped to and from this event on the tv at random intervals, so there may be plenty I missed,

but I kept waiting to be stunned by something like this, and was not

These artists are using their popularity to do good. Why are people criticizing them?

I agree with you....but the Police w/ Mayer AND Kanye West was a shit sandwich musically.

random thoughts:

i love it when self-important musicians and up-and coming wanna-be's get together to seek more press. it's a win-win situation for them. i'm not really sure what the hell this has to do with the envirnment though.

i wonder how many bands on this bill would have gotten a thumbs-up from tipper gore's PMRC 20 years ago? funny how some things are completely forgotten over time.

i hate al gore. ok, hate is a strong word. but i really, really, really don't like him. i get queasy just looking at that whiny, babbling, no legitimate scientific credential-toting tub of goo.

i love the envirnment, i really do. and i do what i can to do my part. but i will never give these useful idiots any credit for it. think for yourselves and be kind to others...including the earth.

i'm really not that stoked about seeing the police anymore.

i'm glad wilco is not tied to this event.

i hate al gore. ok, hate is a strong word. but i really, really, really don't like him. i get queasy just looking at that whiny, babbling, no legitimate scientific credential-toting tub of goo.

Future generations will look at Al Gore as the only decent person from this particular epoch. The rest of us will be held in scorn for putting our own comfort over the well-being of our planet.

Future generations will look at Al Gore as the only decent person from this particular epoch. The rest of us will be held in scorn for putting our own comfort over the well-being of our planet.

You have heard that Al Gore uses about 20 times the amount of electricity that most American families use, right?

I'm not sure how Udub would "hate" him for bringing a universally good message to the public but he's not a "green angel". Regardless of his motives, and some of that may revolve around him truly trying to help the environment, it's a good message.

wow

ok nostradomus...that's a good one.

As soon as I get the time machine done, we'll go into the future and see. Seriously, what do you think the inhabitants of a world ravaged by the effects of global warming are going to think of us in the past, who could have done something substantial, but didn't? We'll be held in about as much esteem as we hold people who burned other people at the stake because they thought the world was round.

As soon as I get the time machine done, we'll go into the future and see. Seriously, what do you think the inhabitants of a world ravaged by the effects of global warming are going to think of us in the past, who could have done something substantial, but didn't? We'll be held in about as much esteem as we hold people who burned other people at the stake because they thought the world was round.

thumbnail7.jpg

Why do we care what future generations think about us? All those pricks ever do is judge us. They don't realize how hard we have it. I'll go on the record as saying that the people of the future are all a bunch of assholes. If the future reveres Al Gore, then I don't want them to like me.

Nah. They're raising awareness amongst us common people. If a little oil has to be burned to spread the message that burning oil is wrong, so be it. If nothing else, they're showing us a glimpse at how grim our future may be: If we don't change the climate for the better (and maybe weaken gravity's hold on us while we're at it), there will only be more concerts for the Earth (they would hold a concert for Uranus, but they're already too far up their own assholes). Pretty soon, we won't be able to turn on a television without seeing John Mayer making his "I got a mouthful of my own semen, and I think it's a bit spoiled" guitar face or the Queen of Pop Madonna proving that the musical monarchy is as irrelevant as its political counterpart and that her job title is actually missing an "o". Faced with the prospect of watching aging pop stars sing their aged songs, we'll all turn off our TVs, saving precious energy. The climate won't be significantly affected by this (any lessening in greenhouse gas emission inspired by the concerts will be counteracted by the hot air released by its participants), but at least Al Gore will be able to sleep better at night.

I remember watching Live Aid as a 12 year old and thinking they were making a difference/saving the world. Now I look at these things and think how everyone got on board for the publicity and how it won't change a thing. Yay.

If we don't change the climate for the better (and maybe weaken gravity's hold on us while we're at it), there will only be more concerts for the Earth

:yay

While I agree with the cause, I can't decide of this whole thing is admirable or if its just kind of silly. They're trying so hard for the Big Statement here, but the activism seems kind of grafted on. Musically, they definitely went mainstream, which isn't necessarily a problem--in terms of generating the biggest audience it makes sense, but it is also why some of this feels not entirely genuine. I dunno.

From reading messageboards, I've seen plenty of bitching from both the indie kids and the hippies that they don't understand why it wasn't geared more towards them because their groups pretty obviously tend to fall into the "yay, Earth!" demographic. But you can't stage a Big Event that is going to Enlighten the Great Unwashed Hummer-driving Masses by showing them a bunch of bands that 90% of the general public has never heard of. And so we get Madonna telling us to recycle. Their hearts are in the right place (or at least somebody thinks it makes for positive publicity), and its probably a good idea to put forward this issue in a decidedly mainstream way so its not perceived as being a bunch of fringe loonies, ya know, but somehow it ends up feeling like a public service message.

It is a very legit pointabout the use of energy at these huge festivals. Does anyone know if there was any effort made to be green,I would certainly think so or all this would be of a hypocritical move?

There was a lot of talk about how the concerts were "green" and used sustainable sources of energy, etc, etc. What that actually entails and consists of, I have no idea other than people using biodiesel tour buses and maybe some solar panels backstage. More than likely it means that they bought a butt-load of offsets, which has always sounded like a load of crap to me. But as for the concerts being a waste of energy, I don't really buy it. Being environmentally conscious doesn't mean curling up in a fetal position and never doing anything. It means being smarter about how you go about things. Besides, big festivals are more environmentally-friendly than each of those bands having their own concert in a different spot. (OK, that's a stretch, but still.)

Besides, big festivals are more environmentally-friendly than each of those bands having their own concert in a different spot. (OK, that's a stretch, but still.)

I don't think that's a stretch at all.

The attendees probably would have spent the day driving all over town, one person per car, doing completely unnecessary errands if they hadn't been at a concert.