07.18.2007 World Cafe LivePhiladelphia

09.19.2007 World Financial Center Plaza New York

09.20.2007 Somerville TheatreSomerville

09.22.2007 Club SodaMontreal

09.25.2007 The ArkAnn Arbor

09.27.2007 Park WestChicago

10.08.2007 The AladdinPortland

10.09.2007 North Shore PACBothell

I love me some Nick Lowe. Thanks for the info.

Haven't been crazy about his last few albums, but his stuff from the 70s/80s is killer. He also produced some kick ass Elvis Costello albums. This Year's Model, right? The man is criminally underappreciated in a world where underappreciated is tossed around too frequently.

I think he makes most of his money off of Elvis' cover of Whats So Funny (Bout Peace Love and Understanding).

He's got a new one out on Yep Roc, good stuff!

http://www.yeproc.com/artist_info.php?artistId=54

His new album is great. One of his quotes, and this isn't verbatim, centers around how his songs are well written but not well done. Artists love to cover a great song that has never been done well.

Thanks for posting the tour dates. I'm going to try and catch him this time around.

I've been interested in getting Pure Pop for Now People, but it's out of print. I did buy Rockpile's Seconds of Pleasure and didn't enjoy it too much, though.

Pure Pop for Now People = Jesus of Cool, which is probably easier to find though technically also apparently out of print. It is brilliant.

Didn't like Seconds of Pleasure though? Really?

I've been interested in getting Pure Pop for Now People, but it's out of print. I did buy Rockpile's Seconds of Pleasure and didn't enjoy it too much, though.
It may be out of print but it isn't that hard to find. With Nick I guess you had to be there....he was certainly all over the place as a producer back in the day.

LouieB

It may be out of print but it isn't that hard to find. With Nick I guess you had to be there....he was certainly all over the place as a producer back in the day.

LouieB

It's actually incredibly hard to find on cd; all these old albums are generally easy to find on vinyl, it kind of depends whether someone is after a cd or vinyl copy of it.

I'm more of a fan of his band Brinsley Schwarz than his solo work. Silver Pistol in particular is a brilliant album, with incredible songwriting - it actually sounds like The Band. Also, their first 2 albums are fine too. Then comes Nervous On The Road which is their most famous album and up there with Graham Parkers first few albums as the best of British Pub Rock. All these albums ARE easy to find, and they come as two-fers on cd.

Here's a youtube clip from the old grey whistle test at the height of their fame (around the time of Nervous On The Road being released) for anyone after a taste: Surrender To The Rhythm

I saw a great acoustic show Nick Lowe did a few years ago in Chicago, at The Old Town School Of Folk Music. He's a class act...

I personally love the Rockpile album... and his "Basher" compilation CD.

I love that Rockpile record. I've always wished Wilco would cover "Pet You And Hold You" from it -- as I listen to it now, it seems so Wilcoey.

And Cryptique - 9/25 ... I'm there!

I love that Rockpile record. I've always wished Wilco would cover "Pet You And Hold You" from it -- as I listen to it now, it seems so Wilcoey.

And Cryptique - 9/25 ... I'm there!

Lots of great moments on that Rockpile record... "Play That Fast Thing One More Time," "For Now and Always," that Squeeze cover... the collaboration of Edmunds and Lowe was too good to last, but a lot of amazing stuff sure came out of it.

I'm more of a fan of his band Brinsley Schwarz than his solo work. Silver Pistol in particular is a brilliant album, with incredible songwriting - it actually sounds like The Band. Also, their first 2 albums are fine too. Then comes Nervous On The Road which is their most famous album and up there with Graham Parkers first few albums as the best of British Pub Rock. All these albums ARE easy to find, and they come as two-fers on cd.

Here's a youtube clip from the old grey whistle test at the height of their fame (around the time of Nervous On The Road being released) for anyone after a taste: Surrender To The Rhythm

Ditto on Brinsley, freakin' great stuff. A few months back there was a clip on youtube of them performing Ebury Down but the video Nazi's took it down. Their albums are brilliant IMO.

"Mary Provost" is one of the funnest/sickest songs ever. I also love the tune "I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass".

Also, was "When I Write the Book" influenced by/inspiration for Elvis Costello's "Everyday I Write the Book?" Just wondering.

I've been trying to track down some of his early records on CD or vinyl and have completely failed. They're really expensive when I have seen them too. Had to settle for a battered copy of "16 All-Time Lowes" on CD from ebay...

I certainly expected and wanted to love the Rockpile record, but just do 50's rock/60's pub rock. Is Jesus of Cool similiar?

Pub rock is actually a term from the 70s, but Brits certainly loved the 50s/60s rockbilly it is based on. The Jesus of Cool/Now Pop is not really similar, but the not different either. The EP with Rockpile is an Everly Brothers covers thing, which is fun and also shows the roots of this music. It is rarely found with the LP version anymore.

"Mary Provost" is one of the funnest/sickest songs ever. I also love the tune "I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass".

Also, was "When I Write the Book" influenced by/inspiration for Elvis Costello's "Everyday I Write the Book?" Just wondering.

Breaking glass has a writing credit to Steve Goulding, who played on the album and is a great drummer and turned up with the Mekons and the Waco Brothers.

I don't know how hard it is to find these LPs, but of course with the current LP feeding frenzy it may be tougher. Nick's LPs used to be very easy to find and I have three, all of which were dirt cheap, the afore mentioned Pure Pop which was $2 and also Labour of Lust ($3.59) which is excellent and Nick the Knife ($1.49 at a Salvation Army) which is decent too. I believe Nick played on some of the Dave Edmunds LPs as well. He was married to Carlene Carter around this time.

LouieB

I don't know how hard it is to find these LPs, but of course with the current LP feeding frenzy it may be tougher. Nick's LPs used to be very easy to find and I have three, all of which were dirt cheap, the afore mentioned Pure Pop which was $2 and also Labour of Lust ($3.59) which is excellent and Nick the Knife ($1.49 at a Salvation Army) which is decent too. I believe Nick played on some of the Dave Edmunds LPs as well. He was married to Carlene Carter around this time.

Hmmm... obviously more available in the States rather than over here, which is odd! I'm still keeping my eyes peeled though...

i'm a big fan of "the convincer." kind of snuck up on me, this one. bought "at my age" when it came out.

am now waiting for some show dates in the los angeles region... :dancing

"that hungry little dachshaund!"

Hmmm... obviously more available in the States rather than over here, which is odd! I'm still keeping my eyes peeled though...

I saw a copy of Pure Pop yesterday at the record sale at Pitchfork for $10. My copy was $2 in a cheapy bin at one of my favorite record stores. Nick has always been a big XRT artist in general, particularly the material off Labour of Love.

Obviously the newer albums haven't sold as well, being dad rock and all.....Nick has said in interviews that he no longer has to be current, just make music he likes and if it sells fine and if not fine. He has made a ton of money as a producer, etc., so he is pretty comfortable in his "old age".

LouieB