they were just boring as hell and too damn long.

I felt that way about movies 1-2, as well. But 3 and 4 were much better, partially because those books were superior, but mostly because they had new directors with fresh ideas about how to adapt the books.

I haven't seen the new one yet.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new one is probably better than the 4th, though I sitll think the 3rd is both the best book and movie. Plus the 3rd movie had more Gary Oldman, and since he's by far the best actor in the whole series, thats a huge positive. On the whole, the new one was really good. Had some really touching moments, and some really funny moments. I didn't like how they basically did a standard "movie magical montage" thing for showing how DA learned their spells, but I guess there was no other way for them to do it.

Also, Harry and Cho's kiss goes on for about 5 seconds longer than is comfortable for the audience.

Also, Harry and Cho's kiss goes on for about 5 seconds longer than is comfortable for the audience.

that's the truth.

i leaned over to my sister and said "it looks like he's eating her face! which caused her to giggle for a good 5 minutes.

The new one is probably better than the 4th, though I sitll think the 3rd is both the best book and movie. Plus the 3rd movie had more Gary Oldman, and since he's by far the best actor in the whole series, thats a huge positive. On the whole, the new one was really good. Had some really touching moments, and some really funny moments. I didn't like how they basically did a standard "movie magical montage" thing for showing how DA learned their spells, but I guess there was no other way for them to do it.

i agree about the 3rd movie being the best, but always did like the 4th book the most. what really bothers me about the 4th movie is that they changed the whole house-elf plot thing. it makes one wonder if kreacher really does have a role in the last book or not since you haven't seen the house elves since the 2nd movie and JK Rowling does have input into how the movies are adapted.

i don't want to know if there are house elves in the 5th movie. not until i see it. yikes might have to start avoiding the net until i see the 5th movie. will definitely be locking myself away next weekend while i read the 7th book.

kreacher always annoyed the hell out of me in the books.

you know it took me forever to realize that kreacher is simply creature in pronunciation. what a clever play on words. he actually frightened me a bit in the books. had the potential to be quite dangerous (and i wonder if that potential is still there).

you know it took me forever to realize that kreacher is simply creature in pronunciation. what a clever play on words. he actually frightened me a bit in the books. had the potential to be quite dangerous (and i wonder if that potential is still there).

yeah, i got the connection, though it reads more like an onomonopea(however the crap you spell it)... to me, as he's a crusty old house elf.

and yeah, totally he could be dangerous, but i don't think magically speaking he could...

I need to reread Half Blood Prince, as I'm completely forgetting what happens in it...

Mostly, it's about how Ginny gets Harry's loins buzzing.

I liked Half-Blood Prince a lot more than Order of the Phoenix, which, more than any other book in the series, felt padded and far too much like treading water. The movie version of HBP ought to be fantastic.

Mostly, it's about how Ginny gets Harry's loins buzzing.

I liked Half-Blood Prince a lot more than Order of the Phoenix, which, more than any other book in the series, felt padded and far too much like treading water. The movie version of HBP ought to be fantastic.

I feel the same way. I think the movies have been progressively better, which is odd because it would seem the books would make it progressively more difficult to pull off. The first two would seem the most straightforward, but watching the second one a month ago, I had to laugh at how awkward it was.

(movie versus book spoiler alert.)

The new movie has about 40% of the book shown, 30% implied with 30% only the bookreaders would know or care about. A surprising amount of the dialogue is word for word from the book (I read it a couple days ago), though some is switched to different characters. My main complaint (besides maybe no flying brains) is that they make it way too easy to sympathize with Harry. In Order of the Phoenix the book, Harry annoyed me most of the time, fumbling his relationship with Cho and getting all teen angsty with Dumbledore, and yelling at almost every character at some point. He barely raises his voice after the beginning, and is polite to Dumbledore in the end where he is supposed to be wrecking his office. However, the climax I felt was an improvement over the book. Harry struggling with Voldermort inside his head was much better than described in the book, where Voldemort just couldn't stand to possess him for long (add that to the list of couldn't kill and couldn't touch).

As for the acting, whoever played Luna Lovegood got it right. Umbridge was perfectly psychotic. I like Gary Oldman, but I think Sirius is way off in the movies, which is a shame. On the other hand Rickman's Snape makes more sense to me than the written Snape. and that about wraps my thoughts on it. in a week or so, I can put these damn books behind me.

I loved the fifth movie. I accepted the fact that it can't cover the book like a book can - which made it a lot better for me.

Some notes:

-Wand battle was fantastic, it gave me the chills. The veil wasn't what I envisioned, though.

-The kiss was...slightly awkward, but it was fine.

-The newspapers served well to connect what it could.

-Yates, who did stuff for the BBC, definitely slimmed it down TV-style, which is why to some it felt disjointed, though the newspapers went a long ways to remedy that. However, at a paltry 2hr 18min it could have easily gone upwards to 3 hours without any issues, to be honest.

-Luna Lovegood was pretty good, but didn't seem "loony" enough for me. But the acting was great.

-Pretty much everyone but Harry gets sidelined this movie - the actors playing McGonagall, Snape, Hagrid, Lupin, and even Ron and Hermione seem to only be there for a little time - kind of like fighting over scraps of leftovers. The nature of the movie, though - Harry's isolation from the Wizarding world he knows/knew - obviously went towards preventing others from grabbing screen time, but seriously, I was hoping that there would be more. Staunton, however, gets plenty of screen time as Umbridge and does it extremely well - some reviewers claim that she deserves nominations for her role. I'm not entirely sure about that, but at least out of all the acting, she probably deserves it the most (for this movie). And I was hoping for more of Phineas Nigellus.

-The Dumbledore and Harry talk at the end got completely shafted. That and the fact that Umbridge didn't admit to the dementor attack were the only things that really angered me. I was expecting this - and they were crucial in the novel - and their disappearance really, actually, angered me a little.

-A lot of the things that can't be explained in the book (as others have mentioned the part were Voldemort briefly possesses Harry) were well done, and for that, were done better than the book.

-Favorite out of the Harry Potter movies? Probably. They have basically been getting better, especially beginning with the third one. I hope the sixth is even better!!!

More movie vs. book spoilers below:

I saw this last night. As the only adult in the group who'd read the books (the kids all felt that too much had been cut in the book-to-movie translation), I spent a lot of time afterwards filling in the blanks. The thing that bothered the rest of the group in particular was when Cho was blamed by the rest of the group for ratting out Dumbledore's Army. I explained that that was not at all how it had happened in the book, but then there was much discussion of how it completely changed the dynamic of Harry and Cho's eventual breakup.

More movie vs. book spoilers below:

I saw this last night. As the only adult in the group who'd read the books (the kids all felt that too much had been cut in the book-to-movie translation), I spent a lot of time afterwards filling in the blanks. The thing that bothered the rest of the group in particular was when Cho was blamed by the rest of the group for ratting out Dumbledore's Army. I explained that that was not at all how it had happened in the book, but then there was much discussion of how it completely changed the dynamic of Harry and Cho's eventual breakup.

Well, Snape does say that Umbridge used Veritaserum to get the confession, so I'm guessing we haven't seen the end of Cho and Harry, though they didn't make up, I'm sure that didn't slip his notice.

He did, which would have let them all know that she shouldn't have been blamed, but in Book 6, Harry and Cho aren't together. So I don't know where they go with that in the 6th movie, if they haven't really dealt with their break-up in any kind of logical way in the 5th movie.

I thought there were pretty definite looks exchanged between Harry and Hermione when he made the comment.

Although, since each movie has a different director, I suppose it's possible the director of the next movie just won't deal with the situation at all.

pretty well was a snore fest. Plus Harry is looking closer to 30 than a believable teen. As a movie series it stands to end up as a joke.

Maybe it's because he's really not a great actor, and the screenplays aren't that great either. He was good enough as an 11-year-old, but lines like "if voldemort's building an army, then I want to fight"? C'mon...

I haven't seen HP5 yet.

Radcliffe's not an awful actor, and the screenplays could be a lot worse (See: First two movies in HP series.)

I'll say that Emma Thompson's probably the weakest link in a fairly strong cast. I'm starting to like the guy who plays Ron, he's great as the comic relief. I loved the casting of HBC as Bellatrix Lestrange. Really good casting job there. And I really can't wait until we see the book 7 movie, as I think Voldemort will be a much more major character and we are really going to see Ralph Feinnes shine.

Yeah, Rupert Grint(or is it Grunt?) is a good actor. We recently saw a non-HP movie he did called "Driving Lessons" that was pretty good. Funny stuff.

I want to see the movie again to digest it better... hopefully sometime this week

I just got to the point in book 6 where Slughorn refers to Ron as "Rupert." I haven't seen any of the movies, but I suspect that's the only direct nod/wink to the screen versions in any of the books.

just saw this earlier tonight and was pleasantly surprised. although, i have to admit that i probably would not have liked it quite as much if i hadn't, a) been a fan of the series, or B) read the book. lucky for me i meet these two, so i enjoyed it.

the wand battle was extremely well done.

I saw it tonight with my family. Snorefest, indeed. The films are getting progressively worse. Maybe I should read the books.