Bridge collapses in Minneapolis

Guest Speed Racer

I live down the street from Al's in Dinkytown. I had just ridden my bike home under that bridge, and I heard it go and saw the smoke. Sounded like a bunch of garbage trucks dropping dumpsters - not an unusual noise in Dinkytown - but then I saw the smoke and went to the Strib website to inquire...

Also, I have NEVER received this many phone calls in this span of time. Weird...

Guest Speed Racer

Trivial though it may seem, my route to work/running route have been suspended until further notice. I'm seriously a bit confused as to how to get across the river tomorrow. I'm imaginging 19th/10th Ave bridge might be closed/PACKED, and Washington will also lead me into a rat's nest of traffic.

I was making copies of a case I just filed at work, and debating whether or not to file/mail out the xeroxes. Had I stayed for that 10 minutes more of work, I'd have left just in time to be seriously/terminally inconvenienced.

It is so weird to see your own neighborhood, cracked in half, on television.

Geez, prayers and vibes from KY, so glad you guys checked in here! The images are just mind-blowing. How could something like that have happened?

Guest Speed Racer
How could something like that have happened?

The bridge has been closed on/off since Memorial Day for construction, and you could see the metal braces that were holding it together. There was bumper-to-bumper rush hour and game-day traffic. As soon as I heard a bridge collapsed, I knew which bridge it was - no surprise at all.

The bridge has been closed on/off since Memorial Day for construction, and you could see the metal braces that were holding it together. There was bumper-to-bumper rush hour and game-day traffic. As soon as I heard a bridge collapsed, I knew which bridge it was - no surprise at all.

Not to get into specifics too much, but FWIW I read that the work was not structural. From cnn.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/01/bridge.collapse/index.html

Construction took place on the bridge Tuesday night and was to take place again Wednesday night, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.

The highway would have been restricted to a single lane in both directions from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. both nights.

The bridge was undergoing redecking work, but nothing structural was being done, U.S. Transportation Department spokesman Brian Turmail said.

Guest Speed Racer

Well, to get into non-specifics, I drive/ride under the bridge twice a day each, and its underside looked a lot more construction-y than the other two bridges directly adjacent to it. And I can't see it as a coincidence that the bridge with frequent closings and restricted traffic is the one to collapse when the one next to it, with all four lanes in operation and heavy traffic, did not collapse (the third is a pedestrian bridge, so it doesn't count).

Guest Speed Racer
Is anyone else astonished at the low number of fatalities? After seeing the pictures and the number of cars involved, I'm left speechless/thankful. I've never had to make so many calls in such little time.

Most of the construction workers parked their personal trucks on the bridge in unused lanes, so if 50 cars fell in and let's say 8 belonged to construction workers who weren't on the bridge, that brings the numbers down. Also, the bridge was over a rather shallow portion of the Mississippi, and it didn't really distintigrate into the river or anything.

God, this is surreal.

as terrible as this is (and it is terrible), it's peanuts to what happens every single day in Iraq.

best thoughts for those affected.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but really? Is that necessary? Why can't you just leave politics out of this?