Now Watching on YouTube

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORb3zC8z94w

Yes, it's not that movie that came out today. Although, this preview is supposed to play right before it. Funny how that works, eh?

When the aliens come out for us, they are bringing the autotune or taking it back. (who had that silly idea?)

Other than that this doesn't look that bad at all. This looks like the focus of the film is strictly on the infantry.

Oh, and there's at least one more alien invasion movie coming out in 2011. Are they trying to tell us something?

Entertainment Tonight played a 20 second clip of the goofiest portions of this Green Lantern preview and freaked fanboys everywhere.

I like that they are keeping the sci-fi elements of the comics. It makes it feel different from the other recent comic book films.

Although, I pictured Ryan Reynolds more as The Flash than Green Lantern. I wanted Nathan Fillion, but I think movie execs figured he's a bit too old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NWGl_A3b60

Mark Strong as Sinestro looks great and so does Peter Sarsgaard as Dr. Hector Hammond.

Blake Lively looks pretty good too.

This one looks very funny and is an homage to those 80s fantasy films such as Krull and Beastmaster.

Natalie Portman in a thong next to a pond that she's about to take a dip into is an immediate purchase for me.

Also, Zooey Deschanel is here too.

And David Gordon Green is directing this one. His career has been all over the place and I love it. Good for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx_zo5CCURs

NSFW

James Franco and Danny McBride look great as the leads.

Amazing football skill made even better because I am a Bolton supporter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ufx21XS2g

Entertainment Tonight played a 20 second clip of the goofiest portions of this Green Lantern preview and freaked fanboys everywhere.

I like that they are keeping the sci-fi elements of the comics. It makes it feel different from the other recent comic book films.

Although, I pictured Ryan Reynolds more as The Flash than Green Lantern. I wanted Nathan Fillion, but I think movie execs figured he's a bit too old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NWGl_A3b60

Mark Strong as Sinestro looks great and so does Peter Sarsgaard as Dr. Hector Hammond.

Blake Lively looks pretty good too.

Why The New Green Lantern Movie Looks So Familiar

Hmm. Kind of like how all of the Wilco covers all kind of sound like the originals.

{directed mostly at the writer of the Cracked magazine article and other skeptics of comic book film adaptations}

First of all, Green Lantern (1959) predates Iron Man (1963) by 4 years. It just so happens that D.C. Comics has sat idly on the Hollywood sidelines and did not have the balls to release their secondary superhero films, such as The Flash, Green Arrow and Hawkman. It's also a shame because D.C. Comics' Justice League predates Marvel's Avengers (due in 2012). D.C. had the idea to link all of their heroes through one world which made for many cool crossovers.

Yes, there are some similarities between Tony Stark and Hal Jordan, but I feel that Reynolds gives Jordan a cockiness and Downey gives Stark an entitled arrogance. There is a difference and it shows. Reynold's cockiness seems like a facade like most younger men have who don't have the merits to prove themselves, meanwhile Downey's entitled arrogance stems from his billionaire status and the ability to fall flat on his face and not give a shit.

And Tony Stark and Hal Jordan both love women, but you know what so did Bruce Wayne. I seem to recall Peter Parker and Clark Kent having girlfriends too. The conflict in the Green Lantern comic for Carol Ferris (Blake Lively) was that she was also a test fighter pilot and ends up taking control of her father's company (where Hal tests also) after his death. Oh man, those funny books...tackling social issues left and right. But in all seriousness, these comics gave women some very interesting and groundbreaking roles.

These characters go so far back that Green Lantern's main villain and ex-mentor Sinestro was modeled after David Niven's likeness. The same can be said for Green Arrow who was modeled after Errol Flynn. And the Mega Mind/Dr. Hector Hammond comparison is laughable. Does this clown who wrote the article think that the WB execs caught a screening of that flick and said "you know what we need is a giant headed supervillain?!?!".

I think the Superman reference (Pa Kent finding young Kal El/Jordan seeing Abin Sur) pushed me over the edge. Seriously, that was quite a stretch. I think the author just wanted to bash the film with little knowledge of comic book history. Not to mention the D.C. Universe and Marvel Universe are pretty much exclusive from each other. If they ever do a Hawkman film, that guy will have a cow because Hawkman and Thor both rely heavily on mythology: Norse (Thor) & Egyptian (Hawkman). And Thor is coming out this coming May, so it will predate an eventual Hawkman film.

The concept of a ring and responsibility was also in The Lord Of The Rings. There's many reasons why storytellers employ these motifs. They work and continue to do so for future generations. I'm glad that they are not changing the Hal Jordan character around, but I also realize how some would see the reason why it is coming out after Iron Man's success.

If you really want to put your anger toward something more worthwhile, I would point all fingers at The Event. At least the creator of that show has blatantly said that he tried to copy and fuse Lost and 24 into one show. And NBC perfectly timed it to come out when those two shows were off the air.

One of my favorite comic books and film adaptations did not fare too well at the box office: Watchmen. It is unique, original and groundbreaking. That's probably why it didn't connect to a mass audience. It subverted the genre and I'm not sure if some people are ready for that. There's a definite reason why some things don't feel different, you see.

One Eskimo---Kandi (Really love the sample of Candy Stanton...it doesn't really sound contrived or forced to me at all)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEqTPlD-8QI