Decemberists: Long and Short of It Tour CANCELLED

Two completely different shows in each city to squeeze more money out of you.

Fast on the heels of the upcoming European fall tour, newly dubbed "The Bride of Crane Wife" Tour, we here at Decemberists HQ are virtually falling over ourselves to announce to you, dear Mailing List Recipient, a very special US national tour. We've called it "The Long and Short of It" Tour. "Why the name?" you well may ask, considering that every Decemberist tour name has been a product of weeks and weeks of R & D (that's industry-speak for "Research and Dilly-dallying") and in-depth interviews with our prime demographic. And you may certainly ask, for we here at Decemberists HQ are primed and ready to explain to you what the deal is.

We're embarking on a national US tour in which we'll be performing at least 2 nights in every city (we beg forgiveness in advance if your city-of-call is not listed below, but if we kept this up everywhere, the tour would stretch on to eternity. Eternity!). But here's the rub: both nights will feature two totally different setlists. The first night, "The Long of It", will find us performing every song from our humble repertoire that is longer than 8 minutes; the following night, "The Short of It", will find us playing a setlist entirely built of those more sprightly numbers whose adherence to brevity keeps them on the more radio-friendly side of that selfsame 8 minute mark.

Why are we doing this? Easy: we're planning on slipping away from the glare of the public spotlight for a spell so as we can make more songs and more records and things by which you might be further entertained in the future, and we wanted to make this last-tour-for-a-bit kind of special. Plus, we've discovered that once you take a hankering to writing really long songs, which are certainly fun in their own right, it leaves precious little room on the setlist for those neglected songs being cat-called from the back of the theater. In short, we are making as grand attempt as we can muster to entertain you, gentle Myspace Friend and Decemberists Concert-Goer.

A two night pass pre-sale for this tour begins at noon (EST) this Saturday, the 25th of August, at the following site: http://www.decemberists.tickets.musictoday.com. By buying tickets for both nights during the pre-sale, you'll get a $10 discount. Also with the two-night pass, you'll get a custom ticket and a poster designed by Decemberists illustratrix Carson Ellis. $1.00 of every ticket sold will go to the Oregon League of Conservation Voters (www.olcv.org). General ticket on-sale begins September 7th. Without further ado, here's the dates:

10/28 Chicago, IL Vic Theater (

I think I'm just gonna go short. Having seen the Tain the first time ever at Schubas and most recently with an orchestra, I don't think it could ever be any better. I can go the rest of my life without Mariner's Revenge song again. The only epic I'd care to see again is "The Island". I'll be quite happy with the short stuff.

• 2 months later...

http://www.decemberists.com/news.aspx

Nov 01, 2007

"The Long and Short of It" Tour Cancelled

With much regret The Decemberists have cancelled the remainder of "The Long and Short of It" tour.

One of our band members has been ill for a while but we thought all would be well in time for these tour dates. After a couple shows, though, it has become clear that the illness is much worse than we had initially realized. We need to return home so our friend can mend.

It saddens us to disappoint our fans. We hope everybody understands it is only because of an extreme situation that we had to cancel a tour we've all been excited about doing since the idea was originally hatched.

Our deepest apologies but at this time no plans are being made to reschedule the dates. Ticket holders should seek refunds at point of purchase.

This is ironic. My friend and I were just talking today about going to the Columbus show later this month. Guess not.

If you and your friend were talking about how the Decemberists never cancel shows, it was "ironic." Otherwise, it's "coincidental."

Sorry. When I was a copy editor, I was always changing that.

If you and your friend were talking about how the Decemberists never cancel shows, it was "ironic." Otherwise, it's "coincidental."

Sorry. When I was a copy editor, I was always changing that.

It's like rain on your wedding day. Or a free ride when you've already paid.

Thing about the rest of the Decemberists tour being cancelled

Wow. I hope the sick band member mends as soon as possible. On one hand I am really sorry I won't get to see the shows in Milwaukee, but on the other hand I am strangely relieved, as it would have been a big time commitment on my birthday weekend and suddenly I will have more money.

I'm sorry about the poster, though. :(

Brianne, I am with you on all of the above!

I had tickets for all four nights here, so yeah, the time commitment thing (on my birthday weekend, OMG!) is actually a bit of a relief.

But, I was definitely looking forward to these shows, and to the poster. They're wondering on the Decemberists' message board if the posters (and snazzy souvenir tickets) will still be mailed out, but that seems unlikely to me.

Also, apparently they've cancelled previous shows (or so Jen S. informs me from the UK) for the same reason, so this definitely seems to be an ongoing thing that they were trying to push through, but just decided it wasn't possible. Hope whoever's ailing will benefit from a decent rest at home for a while.