the all-new NFL thread

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that's why it's so appalling how poorly the NFL treats the guys who played years ago, abusing their bodies for far less money than the current players are making. A lot of those guys can barely walk five years after they retire. It sort of makes me wonder how people react if football were a new sport just coming out today. I think that if it weren't so entrenched in our culture already, a lot of people would be calling for it to be banned, at least among kids and teenagers.

That being said, I loves me some football. Great news about Everett.

The local sports radio station (which has Steve DeOssie as a regular on-air guy) has featured many segments lately on the lasting effects of concussions for NFL vets. One doctor said recently that most of what "they" know about concussions, they've learned in the past FIVE years.

I think it's part of the game, and if you don't want them stolen, it's on you to make them harder to steal.

Here's an interesting solution from Wade Phillips:

"Let the defense have the same coach-to-player communication device the offense has to send in the play to the quarterback. That way, signaling in plays is eliminated, along with the obvious real temptation to somehow steal the signals."

i can't f'ing believe the incompetence of the browns. when they became the ravens, i gave up on football. when the reformed browns drafted frye, i got reinterested. my favorite team has pretty much always been the seahawks, but i haven't been able to watch as much as they're rarely on tv here. this makes it easier to not bother with the browns for me.

time to get a seahawks #5 jersey.

Here's an interesting solution from Wade Phillips:

"Let the defense have the same coach-to-player communication device the offense has to send in the play to the quarterback. That way, signaling in plays is eliminated, along with the obvious real temptation to somehow steal the signals."

I like the idea. I'm not sure how well it would work, because the defense doesn't tend to huddle and so often has to adjust to the offensive set at the last second ... but at least the coaches could call blitzes without tipping off the offense from the sidelines.

fuck off. Every team does it, the Pats got caught.

As ESPN.com put it

Hey, remember a couple years ago when the Steelers accused the Colts of piping in crowd noise at the RCA Dome?

Remember when the Broncos broke salary-cap rules in order to build the 1997-98 championship team?

Remember when Jim Haslett admitted to using steroids when he was playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers during their dynasty years of the '70s?

Remember when Herm Edwards admitted to breaking NFL rules by using Stick-Um even after it was banned in 1980?

And remember when Lawrence Taylor said he used to send hookers up to the hotel rooms of opposing running backs while he sat at home doing blow? I mean, are we taking away the '86 Giants' Super Bowl championship too? Come on, already. This stuff happens.