the all-new NFL thread

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First play of the season, and Addai goes down...for a minute or two. Whew! No other running back on the team has ever taken a handoff in the NFL. Not a good sign. Goes to show how fragile the idea of a repeat really is.

Well, the Saints got steamrolled either way.

Hells yeah the did...... JIGGINS!

Vinateri's going to get me major points in fantasy football this year in the VC league!

Saints really represented their already weak conference well tonight.

Also...I predict Bengals over Ravens, 23-16.

I bet they're happy about spending some loot to take Jason David from the Colts. What a great game he had :stunned

my Nineers seem to be the team to watch this year, which scares the heck out of me.

it's all on Alex Smith's arm, and can Gore be what he was last year ?

and if TE Vernon stay healthy, they will be scary!

The Popsicle Team

21. San Francisco 49ers

We've seen it before: A non-playoff team spends the spring and summer getting bandwagon buzz, and it builds and builds, and every time you turn on the NFL Network or ESPN, someone's saying, "I'll tell you what, this Niners team is for real." Then USA Today and the national magazines release the obligatory "Here come the Niners!" features, and their fans get abnormally excited, and by the time mid-August rolls around, everyone's handing them 10-11 wins even though they haven't proven anything. Invariably, this team struggles coming out of the gate, everyone freaks out and their season falls apart faster than "Californication" in episodes 2 and 3.

What does this have to do with popsicles? You could call it the Winston Wolf "Let's Not Start Sucking Each Other's Popsicles Yet" Test -- if the popsicles get broken out too early for an NFL sleeper, they're headed for an imminent disaster (like the '06 Dolphins). It's just human nature. You never hear someone say after the Super Bowl, "We did it, everybody believed in us, we came through for you guys!" It's always, "Nobody believed in us except the coaches and the guys in this locker room!" That's why true NFL sleepers shock everyone in September and October for a double-barreled impact of "Whoa, where did these guys come from???" (the media) and "Nobody believed in us!" (the team). You need both factors; they work hand in hand, and they are not negotiable. That's how the Saints did it last season, and that's how my 2007 Sleeper Pick (we're not there yet) will do it this season. Sorry, Niner Fans, you're doomed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...mp;sportCat=nfl

i'll be very interested to see how SD go under Norv Turner's direction... should all go well unless LT or Rivers get injured

No offense, but why would you assume things would go well under Turner's reign? He has failed miserably as a head coach on the pro level. I really am surprised he keeps getting re-hired as head coach.

Don't get me wrong- I like the guy. He's an easy guy to like and I think he did his best even when he sank an already leaky ship while with Washington for 7 years. I think he's an excellent offensive coordinator/quarterback's coach. But, he has consistently failed as a head coach.

Sweet! Kings of Leon were being played during Green Bay/Philly pregame.

Let me get this out now...... GO Lions!!!!!

070428_calvin_johnson_vlrg_1p.widec.jpg

Come on Calvin "The Truth" Johnson. Don't let me down.