I'm a ghost

ok, ok, i know there was a thread about this ages ago, and analogman will use his stealth search feature abilities to find it, but i'm so excited to have just gotten new tags for my car!!! i think it deserves its own thread. :)

the guy at DMV asked me if i was trying to spell Christ and looked puzzled when i told him it was Cherry Ghost. I failed to tell him it was from a song titled Theologians though, he might have found that somewhat interesting. at least i did. i put the song on repeat for the whole drive home. so much fun!!!

chrygst.jpg

if i say you driving around VA anytime, i'm going to honk my horn and gesture wildly.

-justin

excellent!!! i got honked at a couple of times today, but i don't think it was because of wilco. damn impatient people.

what part of VA are you in??

i looked at the picture first and read "christ" with a yg, but it is about one of the coolest license plates i've seen.

the guy at DMV saw the same thing. it's almost a stealth wilco plate. :)

and ok, technically there wasn't a thread about my license plate, details details, but i think there was one about general wilco license plates and who had one. but at least when analogman finds the link, lederhosen has given me a good argument! :thumbup

Washington D.C. has no representation in the Federal Government but they still pay taxes. I believe that's right. Correct me if I'm wrong.

-andrew

andrew is correct. DC is not a state so we have no senators and 1 congresswoman who does not get to actually vote on the House floor she only gets to speak and show how she would vote if her vote counted. all federal tax laws have to be first genrated in congress before the president can sign them, we pay federal taxes in DC, but yet have no representation. the democrats have tried and tried to get at least our congressional full voting powers while giving the republicans a new seat in Utah (our congressional is a democrat and they think a republican district seat has to be added to be fair, i have thoughts on fair, but will keep this G rated), but the measure keeps failing and is threatened with a veto from Bush. our voter registration cards list the senate and congressional elections as partisan elections DC voters can participate in with a star next to it. in the fine print it says something to the effect of "if DC ever gets statehood, elections will be held for 2 senators and one congressional." i found that humorous.

when clinton was in office, he had the no taxation plates put on the presidential limo. it was beautiful. essentially Bush had to either leave the plates on the limo or have them removed when he left office. can anyone guess what he did.

a lot of people outside of the Disctrict don't realize it is not a state and the people in the nation's capital are not afforded the same rights as everyone else in the country.

to answer your question: i currently live in Richmond, but i'm originally from the southwestern part of the state.

-justin

i got a speeding ticket in abingdon once. oyi. keep an eyeout for my car at the charlottesville show!

my first plate interaction happened today:

was at the gas station waiting to fill up my car (it's a tiny city station with little room for more than a few cars). a guy moved his car so i could get to the pump. when he got back from paying, he asked me about the plates. :) got to tell him all about WILCO!!! it was kinda fun.

ok, ok, i know there was a thread about this ages ago, and analogman will use his stealth search feature abilities to find it, but i'm so excited to have just gotten new tags for my car!!! i think it deserves its own thread. :)

the guy at DMV asked me if i was trying to spell Christ and looked puzzled when i told him it was Cherry Ghost. I failed to tell him it was from a song titled Theologians though, he might have found that somewhat interesting. at least i did. i put the song on repeat for the whole drive home. so much fun!!!

:thumbup I love it.

--Mike

I like how the DC plates say "taxation without representation." You'd think that the DMV would actually support the government they're a part of... or not.

??? the taxation without represenation plates are part of the city's efforts to protest DCs lack of senate/congressional representation. so the DMV is supporting the government it is a part of, the city level, since that's where our representation ends.???

??? the taxation without represenation plates are part of the city's efforts to protest DCs lack of senate/congressional representation. so the DMV is supporting the government it is a part of, the city level, since that's where our representation ends.???

I was indicating more on the national level. Considering it is where everything goes down.

'course I know about it, I just thought Congress would have put their foot down on something as obvious as that...then again, they're not too bright.

I was indicating more on the national level. Considering it is where everything goes down.

'course I know about it, I just thought Congress would have put their foot down on something as obvious as that...then again, they're not too bright.

yeah, i agree, there is a great irony to the fact that the capital of our country has a different set of rules for its citizens than the rest of the country. and you're right, they're not too bright. you should see the debates i have with one of my friends who works on the hill (for the democrats). and mind you i'm a die-hard democrat. troubling times we live in these days.

• 7 months later...

on my way home tonight, someone in another vehicle flagged me down and asked what my license plate meant. it was quite fun to be driving down Mass Ave talking to the car next to me about Wilco. :) A little free publicity for the guys.

[note: the car behind us was not too happy and kept honking their horn, it was a vw]