Favorite Album

Favorite Wilco Album  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Wilco album?

• A.M.
    • Being There
    • Summerteeth
    • Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    • A Ghost Is Born
    • Sky Blue Sky

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YHF and Summer Teeth are tied. Perhaps the two best American rock records of the past 20 years. I voted for Summer Teeth, just to give it some extra love. It being in 4th disturbs me.

i hate to nitpick, but when considering Wilco's discography, are Summerteeth and YHF their rock records? seeing how from Being There to Summerteeth they went from sloppy rock band one-takes to Jay and Jeff playing with ProTools and that, though they're not a necessity, electric guitars are scarce on YHF until ITMWLY, and while "Radio Cure" makes time stand still and speaks to my soul, it doesn't encourage me to rock out. I'd agree that YHF is up there for any kind of record ever, i just found 'rock' an odd qualifier for it. i think Being There wins the rock category.

i hate to nitpick, but when considering Wilco's discography, are Summerteeth and YHF their rock records? seeing how from Being There to Summerteeth they went from sloppy rock band one-takes to Jay and Jeff playing with ProTools and that, though they're not a necessity, electric guitars are scarce on YHF until ITMWLY, and while "Radio Cure" makes time stand still and speaks to my soul, it doesn't encourage me to rock out. I'd agree that YHF is up there for any kind of record ever, i just found 'rock' an odd qualifier for it. i think Being There wins the rock category.

Well...I meant Rock as in general categories. Wilco is a rock band. Maybe not a hard rock band, maybe a pretty weird rock band, but regardless a rock band.

Being There is great fun, but the lyrics always bugged me (BT was my 3rd Wilco album, so I was already used to the poetic masterpieces on YHF and ST) and also there are too many songs on BT that I find kind of "meh."

BT is probably my #4, behind YHF, ST, and AGIB in that order.

Being There is the best but I like A Ghost Is Born more, if that makes sense.

Yeah I get that, in fact it's exactly how I feel but flip Being There for Foxtrot. So far the response of the board is almost completely accurate with how I'd rate the albums, but I'd flip Summerteeth and Being There.

--Mike

i would be very curious to see how the results would turn out if votes were tabulated on a ranking system. it could be that if forced to choose only one Yankee Hotel Foxtrot would win , but when asked to rank there's a better reflection on overall consensus for the favorite album and maybe Yankee Hotel Foxtrot wouldn't actually win, but we'd all find out everyone secretly loves AM. i'm guessing the poll feature isn't that ellaborate and couldn't easily track the votes/points.

If a point sytem must be put in place it should be 1-10. 10 best and 1 awful. If that were the case then AGIB would be a 9, A.M. would be a 7 and the others would fall in between depending on time of day, relationship status, alcohol intake, state of employment, etc...

i would be very curious to see how the results would turn out if votes were tabulated on a ranking system. it could be that if forced to choose only one Yankee Hotel Foxtrot would win , but when asked to rank there's a better reflection on overall consensus for the favorite album and maybe Yankee Hotel Foxtrot wouldn't actually win, but we'd all find out everyone secretly loves AM. i'm guessing the poll feature isn't that ellaborate and couldn't easily track the votes/points.

This exists...on a website somewhere. It was posted here not too long ago. I'm too lazy to search it out for you.

Sky Blue Sky

Music has a strong pull on my emotional state. A song can take me from sad to euphoric or excited to irritated in just a few notes. All of Wilco's music puts me in a positive frame, but I think everything prior to Sky Blue Sky takes me away from reality (I escape / hide in the songs), whereas this album provides me with in-your-face, beautiful hope.

:)

Here you go

good man :thumbup
Its a tough call.....

If Being There was the album where Wilco came into its own, Summerteeth was certainly its greatest success up to that point and unique in so many ways (upbeat tunes to downbeat songs, vintage keyboards, crazy backup singing, etc. etc.) and YHF is clearly the defining album of Wilco's career (more backstory than could have been dreamed up by any PR person). But for sheer long term enjoyment, the music on it never disappoints, none of it. (and the parts that made me uncomfortable the first time hearing it contiue to do so even now.)

LouieB