• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe. Still, early Beatles albums > Dylan albums from same time period, and late Beatles albums > Dylan from same time period. I think Highway 61 and Help/Rubber Soul are the only times they released albums in the same year and Dylan beat them.

Even with my dialogue I still think Beatles >>> Dylan. It's just that Dylan made the whole thinking thing popular. That doesn't necessarily mean he put out better material.

I even like Help/Rubber Soul a lot more than Highway 61, just because I think Help! is the second best Beatles song. Ever.

do elaborate. that is not my intention at all. of course The Beatles are one of the most important bands ever. i'm not trying to say they weren't. i'm just saying that as a band, as a group of musicians in a room playing, The Band was better and I enjoy them more. and songs? Whispering Pines, King Harvest, Rockin' Chair, Across The Great Divide, Unfaithful Servant, Up On Cripple Creek, The Weight, We Can Talk, In A Station, The Rumor, Stage Fright, Sleeping, All La Glory, The Shape I'm In, Caledonia Mission, Lonesome Suzie, When You Awake, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, The W.S. Walcott Medicine Show, Rag Mama Rag, Strawberry Wine, Katie's Been Gone, etc.

forgot one.

Thats just not true. Sorry. EVERY BAND STARTS THEIR SESSIONS BY PLAYING LIVE IN THE STUDIO. Its called "basics". Then they go back and start re-tooling whatever they want to fix or change. The Band did A LOT of this on "Big Pink" and especially on "The Band".

John Simon himself said that they were recorded mostly live, with added things such as horns, maybe some vocals, and other minimal overdubs. I guess you, someone who was not present at the recording sessions, know more about them than someone who was.

John Simon himself said that they were recorded mostly live, with added things such as horns, maybe some vocals, and other minimal overdubs. I guess you, someone who was not present at the recording sessions, know more about them than someone who was.

Most bands record in this manner. The Band were not special in this regard.

Thats not exactly "live" is it? In fact, it sounds like the exact approach the Beatles (and almost every band on the planet earth)used on all of their recordings, making your original point mute and obsolete.

I hate arguing about music. Its as redundant as arguing about religion or politics...it means something totally different to each individual soul.

And it doesn't matter anyway, because The Band was better :P

Why?

None of The Beatles had such an awesome beard.

cgd_garth_accordion.jpg

Although Garth's beard is by far and away the greatest beard in rock history, John and George had some pretty good beards for a while! And in the end, you don't count how many hits you've had, or how many gold records are on your wall...you just sit back and stroke your beard!

If we're really comparing facial hair, Martin Van Buren's mutton chops >>>>> all.

martin-van-buren.jpg

I still think Paul's is the best beard. It's manly yet is still legit classy. I'm a fan of classy beards. Anyone can pull off a rough beard, you just don't shave, but it's hella hard to maintain a beard as classy as McCartney's.

Speaking of great rock beards:

21930085_l.jpg

:thumbup

If we're really comparing facial hair, Martin Van Buren's mutton chops >>>>> all.

martin-van-buren.jpg

Seriously, if we're going old school, then Ambrose Burnside must be mentioned.

240px-Ambrose_Everett_Burnside.jpg

I mean, c'mon, sideburns were named for the guy.

Thats not exactly "live" is it? In fact, it sounds like the exact approach the Beatles (and almost every band on the planet earth)used on all of their recordings, making your original point mute and obsolete.

I'm not saying that The Band recorded 100% live and got everything perfect that way. I'm saying that their early recordings are mostly unadultered performances sometimes augmented by minimal overdubs. I guess I forgot that raw, "live-in-the-studio" feel Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour have...

Tough to argue with that.

Except that dude couldn't write a song to save his life. Have you heard "Fredericksburg (More Like 'Deadricksburg)"? Pure crap, that.

I'm not saying that The Band recorded 100% live and got everything perfect that way. I'm saying that their early recordings are mostly unadultered performances sometimes augmented by minimal overdubs. I guess I forgot that raw, "live-in-the-studio" feel Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour have...

And Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour aren't the Beatles' early recordings. In fact, the whole point of those albums - the second two especially - was to see what they could do with different techniques in the studio, and to attempt to record those songs straight to tape would have completely defeated the purpose.

Wrong era, buddy.