• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beards???? R U Kidding me?

It's come down to beards?

Like it or not, nobody can touch The Beatles - Now let's move along, ok?

Don't be hatin' on brother Garth now!

big_bright_street_garth.jpg

The band had one good song...

THERE I SAID IT!

Quiet, or I'll sick Hamlet on your ass.

theband6.jpg

Personally, the only song I really care for is their most popular.

The Weight is the only song I can really listen to, without feeling like these guys tried too hard and drank too much.

No offense to anyone, I'm not trying to get into a Beatles v. Band shouting match.

The Band is really, really, really good. But no band has ever been, and likely will never be, better than the Beatles.

The Band is really, really, really good. But no band has ever been, and likely will never be, better than the Beatles.

Of course, you mean 'in the studio'. :D We won't get into the 'live' thing...

The Beatles' BBC Sessions CD reveals that as a live band, they could cook with the best of them. Dudes were TIGHT.

Isn't it one of the great tragedies that just about the time The Beatles hung it up as a live act that's when live concert sound reproduction/ live recording technology began to really come into its own? Some of their greatest material was never given a live arrangement and recorded for posterity. :ohwell

Richard Manuel's performance in that Rockin' Chair clip is better than anything the Beatles ever did. and regarding the songwriting... of course The Band ran out of stellar material much too soon. However, if you put their best songs against the Beatles', they are as good or better. The Band's songs were like old traditional songs, they told stories, and sounded like nothing else of the time. They didn't have a songwriting team cranking out pop tunes, but the songs they do have are amazing. Read the lyrics for Rockin' Chair sometime. Or Unfaithful Servant. Or Whispering Pines. some of the most beautiful music ever created.

it's also interesting to note The Band's influence on the Beatles. 1968 - The Beatles release the white album, which is a more stripped-down and natural sounding album. I seem to recall another album that was released prior to the white album, which no doubt had its influence on the Beatles... oh yeah, MUSIC FROM BIG PINK. Also note the Band songs played during the Let It Be sessions. Not to mention McCartney's Band-like beard.

and the person who says the Band only had one good song, and that it is The Weight, is a complete moron.

Richard Manuel's performance in that Rockin' Chair clip is better than anything the Beatles ever did. and regarding the songwriting... of course The Band ran out of stellar material much too soon. However, if you put their best songs against the Beatles', they are as good or better. The Band's songs were like old traditional songs, they told stories, and sounded like nothing else of the time. They didn't have a songwriting team cranking out pop tunes, but the songs they do have are amazing. Read the lyrics for Rockin' Chair sometime. Or Unfaithful Servant. Or Whispering Pines. some of the most beautiful music ever created.

it's also interesting to note The Band's influence on the Beatles. 1968 - The Beatles release the white album, which is a more stripped-down and natural sounding album. I seem to recall another album that was released prior to the white album, which no doubt had its influence on the Beatles... oh yeah, MUSIC FROM BIG PINK. Also note the Band songs played during the Let It Be sessions. Not to mention McCartney's Band-like beard.

and the person who says the Band only had one good song, and that it is The Weight, is a complete moron.

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=31181

Do you brush your teeth with Crest?