Dear Prudence

George played bass on a bunch too

Yes. John also "played" bass on "The Long And Winding Road", but he was so out of it that Phil Spector had to cover how bad the playing is with all of that orchestration. If you listen to the version on Anthology, you can hear he misses notes all over the place.

I'm trying to think which songs Paul didn't play bass on. I know for sure:

Hey Jude

Let It Be

Long And Winding Road

Back In The U.S.S.R.

Birthday

Rocky Raccoon

For most, you can tell, really. They have far less inventive play and are generally just a "bum bum - pause a beat - bum" style of play.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. John also "played" bass on "The Long And Winding Road", but he was so out of it that Phil Spector had to cover how bad the playing is with all of that orchestration. If you listen to the version on Anthology, you can hear he misses notes all over the place.

I'm trying to think which songs Paul didn't play bass on. I know for sure:

Hey Jude

Let It Be

Long And Winding Road

Back In The U.S.S.R.

Birthday

Rocky Raccoon

For most, you can tell, really. They have far less inventive play and are generally just a "bum bum - pause a beat - bum" style of play.

You got to give John credit for the bass on "Helter Skelter", a lot of the same note, but it's effective.

That's because Ringo left the band for a period of time when they were working on the album. The song is a tribute to the Beach Boys song Surfin' USA.

Also a toungue in cheeck to Chuck Berry's "Back in the USA". Of course, The Beach Boys borrowed a lot from Chuck. Who didn't?

Who played the organ on "It's Only A Northern Song"?

Listening to Anthology 2 today. Man. Hats off to the Beatles. And then some...

Cool, thanks. He did a good job. :cheers

Another gem: Anthology version of Good Morning, Good Morning. Killer.

I'd be curious to see if that guy who likes the Band better (which is great because, as John said to Brian Epstein, at least in the 1980 made for TV movie, "Any loov is good loov") listened to the Beatles as a kid. I think that may have a lot to do with it. They wired the aural architecture of many a kid's brain.

Sorry, I think about this stuff a lot when I'm painting and don't have anyone to talk to.

Thanks for starting this thread, Chris. :cheers

My daughter is obsessed with Abbey Road. She can be crying her head off, but if she hears Octopus's Garden, she'll stop and smile like, "Dude, I love that song!"

With the simple gift of one Yellow Submarine DVD, I have turned both my nephew and niece into Beatles fanatics.

With the simple gift of one Yellow Submarine DVD, I have turned both my nephew and niece into Beatles fanatics.

Cool. My Dad took me to the theatre to see that. I was hooked for life afterwards. I actually had a Yellow Submarine lunch box in grade school. Wish I still had that...might be worth some coin now.

I'd be curious to see if that guy who likes the Band better (which is great because, as John said to Brian Epstein, at least in the 1980 made for TV movie, "Any loov is good loov") listened to the Beatles as a kid.

I keep meaning to mention that movie to see if anyone else has seen it - the B/W one, right? John & Brian's planeride, John flirting with a stewardess, Brian getting jealous, John saying "she's just a bird, Brian. Just a bird."

I can't remember anything else about it.

I keep meaning to mention that movie to see if anyone else has seen it - the B/W one, right? John & Brian's planeride, John flirting with a stewardess, Brian getting jealous, John saying "she's just a bird, Brian. Just a bird."

I can't remember anything else about it.

Was it about John and Cynthia?