Would everyone want Wilco to release more live albums?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Wilco typically allows people to record their shows, but would most fans be in favor of them releasing live albums often and in high quality like a lot of touring bands do ? I would love to have this option personally. Is anyone aware if this has ever been addressed ?

Like Pearl Jam and Phish. If they offered FLAC files, then I would probably buy them. Although, I really only get shows that I have been to. Sometimes an AUD tape may sound better than a SBD.

Like Pearl Jam and Phish. If they offered FLAC files, then I would probably buy them. Although, I really only get shows that I have been to. Sometimes an AUD tape may sound better than a SBD.

:yes

I agree w/seaching the shows out from individuals, puts some thrill into the chase.

However, a professional quality full length dvd would be what would excite me. I'd be playing that all the time.

Alternative delivery is an interesting subject. Bands are starting to release their records on USB sticks now...Barenaked Ladies just did this. A vinyl box set from Wilco would sure be nice. eventually.

Live dvds don't do much for me - unless we are talking about something like Rattle & Hum - or the Wilco movie. The other method, is to do as the Allman Brothers and The Black Crowes - receive a disc in the mail or buy them at select outlets. I recall buying some of the first run of Pearl Jam live show cds that way.

Alternative delivery is an interesting subject. Bands are starting to release their records on USB sticks now...Barenaked Ladies just did this. A vinyl box set from Wilco would sure be nice. eventually.
USB sticks? That makes me shiver with creeped-outedness. The future. Whoa. :blink

I'm in agreement with all of the folks above who said a live DVD would be a good thing because there are already so many quality fan audio recordings. I like those. I wouldn't be too into paying for FLAC files from the band...I would do it, of course, but I'd prefer some hard copy action with pretty pictures and liner notes and all of that newness in my hands where I can cuddle it.

I could see them doing those Instant Live type things that some bands do where you can buy a cd shortly after the show or download it from the website at some point. I've bought a few of those and think they're kind of cool. With most bands, I mostly collect recordings of shows I was at--and the particularly good ones its cool to have a super-clean version of.

Aside from that, nah, I don't know that Wilco needs to concentrate too much on live albums. I mean, it would be interesting to hear them release live recordings from different eras of the band since they've gone through so many changes, but I don't get the impression they're too interested in that sort of nostalgia at this point.

i'd love them to re-do A.M as a live record. i know tweedy was kidding about B.M, but i really like a lot of that material.

otherwise, a good AUD or two from any given tour is enough to keep me satiated. they don't mix it up enough for me to be a completist.

i'd like them to allow sbd patches like they had a few years back, especially when they play outdoor venues where it's harder to get a good pull. again one or two a tour was plenty. for me this is the best of all worlds, since it requires minimal effort from the band.

another problem with live CDs is that even though they can be great, once you listen to it, you know whats coming up the 2nd and 100th time you hear it.

in wilco's case, with a new audience recording in your hands, be it from 1994 or 2007, its a new experience when you first hear it ( i dont play KT often for that reason), especially if you dont scan the setlist before you first play it.

then comes the storage problem :lol

A live DVD would be great, I would certainly buy that.

Given that they frequently do live webcasts of shows, I think that's pretty much sufficient...but then again I'm not a huge live music collector, so there you go! Ps. (If anyone has a copy of the Davenport show this year or the Tweedy solo show in Iowa City last year I would much appreciate a YSI in any format--I can convert files...but I can't use bittorrents on this network--yup).

I tend to like physical items, maybe it would be cool if they released a spiffied up show from each of their tours? I might shell out for those (specially if they went all the way back to their early live shows).

USB sticks? That makes me shiver with creeped-outedness. The future. Whoa. :blink

Why? The memory sticks are small, easy to share with friends...and a lot more eco-friendly than CD's/cd packaging. Let's face it, a traditional CD player is just an outdated computer. Now a turntable....is a work of art. :)

I say no to purchasing live shows.You saw what it did to Bob Weir........................on Night Line he was bragging on how he is turning a hefty dime on selling mastered live shows.I think it makes you look like an asshole.I hate mastered live shows,most of the time I prefer aud,or matrix over sbd.I seriously despise those who are lured into this mentality of thinking that digitally remastered live music is ok for a band to do.

I DO NOT OWN KICKING TV!

Why? The memory sticks are small, easy to share with friends...and a lot more eco-friendly than CD's/cd packaging. Let's face it, a traditional CD player is just an outdated computer. Now a turntable....is a work of art. :)

I guess I might warm up to a memory stick like this. Pretty neato.

31goods.1.600.jpg

Yes, but it is better than someone paying a bunch of money to someone selling live shows on Ebay or whatever.

if you're stupid enough to buy a bootleg off of ebay then yo deserve to get ripped off.