Laminated Cat

I have been driving around the last week, listening to the Alpha Romeo Tango compilation and wishing Wilco would bring back "Laminated Cat (Not For The Seasons)" It seems to fit the mood of autumn, besides the lyrics about autumn coming. Plus, its just a kick ass song.

"Laminated Cat (Not For The Seasons)" It seems to fit the mood of autumn, besides the lyrics about autumn coming. Plus, its just a kick ass song.

couldn't agree more, just kinda goes hand in hand with the leaves changing. I do however prefer Tweedy's solo version perhaps with a litt'l side of Glenn.

I'm providing a link to a version of Laminated Cat (Not For The Season(s)) from the 9:30 Club. This is from 10/14/02Laminated Cat

I believe it was during this particular version of the song that Leroy Bach actually fell off the stage, he then returned during the famous Hesitating Leroy version of Hesitating Beauty, he might have actually fallen off during Hesitating Beauty, it's hard to tell on the boot, either way this is that show.

--Mike

I was at that show, actually. I believe, and I may be wrong, that when he was switching guitars between Not For The Seasons and Hesistating Beauty, the guitar hit him on the forehead. He left the stage in the middle of Hesitating Beauty and Jeff turned around and Leroy wasn't there! But the band kept on. Finally, he came back and supposedly had a dolphin band-aid on his head. That's what I believe Jeff said the following evening. In any case, he didn't fall off the stage because he was towards the back of the stage at that point. I thought maybe something had happened and he had gotten pissed and just left. So I was glad to see him return. This was also the evening that Mike played laptop and cowbell at the same time.

I would agree heartily that the Lonliness - NTFS/LC was one of their best transitions ever. At the end of Lonliness, Glenn would subtly change the beat and Leroy would fade the keys, and then Jeff would hit the opening notes for NTFS. Great stuff.

The 09 04 2003 McDonald Theater/ Portland ORE soundboard includes a stellar version and it was the last time they played it full band. Jeff really started to explore his guitar noise during the extended jam in NTFS, and the Jim O / Sonic Youth influence of that period (2001-3) is all over that song. I only heard it live once full band at Penns Landing in 03 and then was treated to the Jeff /Glenn acoustic version at Messiah College in Nov 2005.

They faked me out at Stubbs 04 by playing Lonliness and I was screaming "NOT FOR THE SEASON" at the top of my lungs. They didnt play it, but they DID play Magazine instead.

Bring back the Cat!

I was at that show, actually. I believe, and I may be wrong, that when he was switching guitars between Not For The Seasons and Hesistating Beauty, the guitar hit him on the forehead. He left the stage in the middle of Hesitating Beauty and Jeff turned around and Leroy wasn't there! But the band kept on. Finally, he came back and supposedly had a dolphin band-aid on his head. That's what I believe Jeff said the following evening. In any case, he didn't fall off the stage because he was towards the back of the stage at that point. I thought maybe something had happened and he had gotten pissed and just left. So I was glad to see him return. This was also the evening that Mike played laptop and cowbell at the same time.

Ah, so that's what it was. I'd been wondering about the full story for awhile. In terms of Mike I know he was in the band on their September leg of that tour because he is in the 2002 Morning Becomes Eclectic video cast and that was taped early that month. I am not sure when his first official gig was, but this is something I, too, have always wondered.

I think the story goes, Mike was backstage or hidden at the mixing desk cueing YHF sample for them, and at some point they decided he should be onstage as he was performing the tunes as well. 204 keys later he has an impenetrable fort of music technology and skill on the Wilco stage. And what a loose cannon, you can tell he's one of rocks most torrid personalities.