• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like his usage of Papelbon. A converted starter is going to be able to go more than 58 innings in a season. I don't remember him having too many injury issues this year, though it's possible. I'd like to see Papelbon throwing closer to 100 innings in a season.

One of the things with this is that Papelbon emphatically stated he wanted to close. That he was "born to close." His shoulder was totally re-habbed/re-built/whatever in the off season and he was headed to be a starter (he's both started and closed in the minors and college). Epstein and Francona tried to sway him but ultimately Papelbon won out. The Sox also needed a closer by this point (end of Spring training).

I understand what you're saying, though, in terms of him potentially yielding better results for the team as a starter. On the other hand, I think he fits perfectly in the role he's in. I know you feel the closer spot is overrated, and who's to say how well he'd fair as a starter (certainly less stress on the arm), but he's more comfortable in the role as closer and I think the brass that runs the team did not want to force the switch.

I don't like his usage of Papelbon. A converted starter is going to be able to go more than 58 innings in a season. I don't remember him having too many injury issues this year, though it's possible. I'd like to see Papelbon throwing closer to 100 innings in a season.

Francona's usage of Papelbon (at least wrt number of innings & how frequently he's used) is dictated by the team doctors, not by Francona. They chart his physical comfort level on a daily basis, and use that data to determine whether he's available to pitch, and for how long. It was only late this season that he was cleared to pitch more than two consecutive games, or to pitch the day after pitching more than one inning. Now that his shoulder is in better shape, he's likely to see more innings as the closer. Francona will have more leeway to use him more creatively as time goes on...

My problem with most managers is they emphasize "speed" and "grit" over on base skills in the leadoff spot.

I'm with you on almost everything you said, but I have to take issue with you putting speed in scare quotes. When managers emphasize speed in the leadoff position--they are doing just that. No need to put quotes around it. They're using speedy players. Grit is a vague term and thus merits the scare quotes.

One of the things with this is that Papelbon emphatically stated he wanted to close. That he was "born to close." His shoulder was totally re-habbed/re-built/whatever in the off season and he was headed to be a starter (he's both started and closed in the minors and college). Epstein and Francona tried to sway him but ultimately Papelbon won out. The Sox also needed a closer by this point (end of Spring training).

I understand what you're saying, though, in terms of him potentially yielding better results for the team as a starter. On the other hand, I think he fits perfectly in the role he's in. I know you feel the closer spot is overrated, and who's to say how well he'd fair as a starter (certainly less stress on the arm), but he's more comfortable in the role as closer and I think the brass that runs the team did not want to force the switch.

I meant using him specifically in "save situations". He's underused if they use him in only such situations.

I'm with you on almost everything you said, but I have to take issue with you putting speed in scare quotes. When managers emphasize speed in the leadoff position--they are doing just that. No need to put quotes around it. They're using speedy players. Grit is a vague term and thus merits the scare quotes.

But speed isn't a good skill to have in the leadoff spot if it's by itself, which is why I put speed in quotes. I meant the idea of speed, as in a Juan Pierre type. "Wreaking havok" and all that stuff that doesn't really have any positive impact on a game. Speed + OBP is good. "Being a nuisance" is what most managers mean when they put a guy with speed in the leadoff spot.

Tessie is the Royal Rooters rally cry

Tessie is the tune they always sung

Tessie echoed April through October nights

After serenading Stahl, Dinneen and Young

Tessie is a maiden with a sparkling eye

Tessie is a maiden with a love

She doesn't know the meaning of her sight

She's got a comment full of love

And sometimes when the game is on the line

Tessie always carried them away

Up the road from "Third Base" to Huntington

The boys will always sing and sway

Two! Three! Four!

Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted

We're not here to mess around

Boston, you know we love you madly

Hear the crowd roar to your sound

Don't blame us if we ever doubt you

You know we couldn't live without you

Tessie, you are the only only only

The Rooters showed up at the grounds one day

They found their seats had all been sold

McGreevey led the charge into the park

Stormed the gates and put the game on hold

The Rooters gave the other team a dreadful fright

Boston's tenth man could not be wrong

Up from "Third Base" to Huntington

They'd sing another victory song

Two! Three! Four!

The Rooters gave the other team a dreadful fright

Boston's tenth man could not be wrong

Up from "Third Base" to Huntington

They'd sing another victory song

Two! Three! Four!

Boston, you are the only only only

Red Sox, you are the only only only

I can't remember the last time I was excited by the World Series. It really hasn't been good since 03. Even if you like the Red or White Sox or the Cards, there is no denying how much of a snooze fest the last three World Series have been.