It was a good game.

And it's nice to see Okajima pitch well again. He was lights out.

Nice pitching from both sides last night.

Jeemer was great last night. The long relief and absolutely blowing the Rockies away. Papelbon's 97-98 mph fast ball helped a bit , too.

I agree that the Rockies were simply out-pitched. It was a good match up between Jimenez and Schilling but Okajima and Papelbon were on fire.

The Rockies backs are against the wall but I can see the Denver part of the series going either way, with suspect pitching from both sides. Fogg and Cook are definitely hittable, as is Matsuzaka if he gets in a funk early. Lester for game 4? Certainly hittable.

It'll be interesting to see who Francona sits with the NL rules: Ortiz? (He and Manny together have been incredible, again). Youkilis? (also been a key to the offense but plays a great defense). Lowell? (stellar defense but weaker bat).

I wouldn't be surprised to see COL gain some of their momentum back that they've lost the last two games. I can see COL taking two of the three but really, a toss up.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a rumor that Youk will be put in right field when the series goes to Denver, but it seems unlikely to me, as he's never played an inning there in his life. Makes the most sense from an offensive standpoint though.

Drew is hitting the ball pretty well now, and is a pretty decent outfielder. Putting Youkilis there would be a really bad move.

If it were me, I think I'd start Youk at first and use Papi as a super pinch hitter.

I really think it'll depend on how Ortiz says his leg is by tomorrow. If the knee is good/he takes another shot to it then I don't see why Francona would sit him. Manny, on the other hand, could have problems in LF at Coors. I'm not saying that he'd be sat, but it may come down to him being replaced in LF with Ellsbury with a lead. Youkilis hasn't played RF, but he did play LF for Manny last year when he was out for about 20 games.

There are a few scenarios to consider and I'm confident in Francona's handling of it as he's proven to be a stellar manager. It'll be interesting.

It'll be interesting to see who Francona sits with the NL rules: Ortiz? (He and Manny together have been incredible, again). Youkilis? (also been a key to the offense but plays a great defense). Lowell? (stellar defense but weaker bat).

This is the key question. I don't really see Lowell as part of the mix though. I know Youk came up as a third baseman but I can't see them throwing him over there in the World Series.

This is the key question. I don't really see Lowell as part of the mix though. I know Youk came up as a third baseman but I can't see them throwing him over there in the World Series.

Yeah, just tossing it out there. I see Francona tinkering with the line-up to fit the situation more, though (obviously with no DH, but more so than usually still). He's not afraid to make moves and he's usually pretty accurate with them.

This made me sort of lol.

Of course it did.

Since he's been managing the Sox he's taken them to the post-season 3 of the 4 years and the WS twice. He's arguably the best manager BOS has ever seen (with considerations to Dick Williams). He's made questionable moves throughout the regular season the last few years but has backed them up and managed efficiently through them.

Is there a GM around who wouldn't want Francona managing their club, particularly in the post-season? I doubt it.

Drew is hitting the ball pretty well now, and is a pretty decent outfielder. Putting Youkilis there would be a really bad move.

If it were me, I think I'd start Youk at first and use Papi as a super pinch hitter.

Drew did get plunked pretty good right above the right ankle yesterday, so that's probably gonna be pretty sore the next couple of days. But yeah, I don't know about putting Youk in the outfield. I'd just rotate it. Play Ortiz two days at first, Lowell two days at third and Youkilis one day at each.

Whoops, I totally misread that. I thought you said "my manager", not "any manager". My bad.

Seriously though, managers have a much smaller impact on the game than most people give them credit for. The most important thing they do is to manage the pitching staff, but other than the occassional gigantic boner, they really make very little difference. I really don't think a good manager accounts for more than maybe 1 or 2 more wins than a bad manager.

I think baseball manager success is harder to quantify than most sports. That said, I don't think you can write them off as irrelevant.

I agree. I also think there is something to be said for how a manager manages the team off the field as well as in the dugout. Managers who are generally liked and respected by their players might be able to get more out of them.

I'm afraid you would win that one - I am a lefthanded middle reliever for the D-Rays. :ohwell I hate to admit it, but I actually like Papelbon. He seems like a fun guy. I think we should hang out.

he likes to shoot guns. I think that a social jon papelbon might be a scary thing.

I think baseball manager success is harder to quantify than most sports. That said, I don't think you can write them off as irrelevant.

I don't think they're irrelevent. Just not as relevent as a lot of baseball fans think they are. I mean, as little as I think they effect the game, I still don't want Dusty Baker managing my team or anything.

I don't think they're irrelevent. Just not as relevent as a lot of baseball fans think they are.

There's certainly a high premium put on managers, though. Look at some of the contracts in recent years that teams are willing to give some managers. From an ownership/GM viewpoint they are quite relevant. I'd imagine from a lot of the players' perspective they are pretty relevant, too.

Drew did get plunked pretty good right above the right ankle yesterday, so that's probably gonna be pretty sore the next couple of days. But yeah, I don't know about putting Youk in the outfield. I'd just rotate it. Play Ortiz two days at first, Lowell two days at third and Youkilis one day at each.

I just heard on the radio that Ortiz is at first on Saturday and Youklis is sitting.

I'm trying to remember a good word you've said about any manager.

I think most managers have a tendency to stick with what they percieve as "general baseball knowledge" with in game management. I think Manny Acta's got a good head on his shoulders. I think most managers aren't very good. They also don't have much effect on the game one way or the other, in my opinion, so even if they are bad, they are mostly harmless. I jsut think it's funny when people say guys are "great managers".

Didn't Ozzie Guillen once pull the names out of a hat when he put his lineup together? If so, that might be the greatest thing he ever did.

My problem with most managers is they emphasize "speed" and "grit" over on base skills in the leadoff spot. They put guys like Juan Pierre in the leadoff spot and cost themselves a win or two a year. Pedroia's shown good on base skills in his career, so I actually like him as their lead off guy, so he's got that going for him (Francona). I don't like his usage of Papelbon. A converted starter is going to be able to go more than 58 innings in a season. I don't remember him having too many injury issues this year, though it's possible. I'd like to see Papelbon throwing closer to 100 innings in a season.