• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i often prefer to use lower case letters which gets me plenty of sh*t over at the SoSH msg board. those guys post pics of their dicks (ha!) and yet they give me grief because i type in little letters? wtf?

I see what happened there.

My goodness. Someone doesn't like A-Rod....

If you still like or support A-Rod, stop reading now

Scott Miller Oct. 29, 2007

By Scott Miller

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Tell Scott your opinion!

DENVER -- Alex Rodriguez is a weasel.

Fantastic player. Great hitter. Fabulous, skilled, amazing, incredible hitter. GQ dresser. Nice eyes.

And a complete, colossal and utter weasel.

A-Rod showed no desire to be at Game 4 of the World Series, but didn't mind hijacking it. (AP)

Opting out of his record-setting contract in search of another record-setting contract was going to be a brazen enough act anyway, but fine. Hey, to each his own. We've all gotta put food on the table, right? Hamburger Helper for some, lobster and caviar every night for others. Whatever.

But opting out in the middle of a World Series game is the height of arrogance. It is the Towering Inferno of arrogance. Arrogance doesn't reach higher peaks.

It's an incredibly selfish act by an incredibly selfish man, and no matter what kind of spin he attempts to put on this one, it will only be one more disingenuous and vacuous comment from an empty silk suit.

Since forever, baseball has had one mandate for every team: No significant news announcements during the World Series. The focus should be on the event. It's the pinnacle of the game. And whether you're the gaudy Yankees or the little ol' Devil Rays, this news blackout goes for you.

Usually, clubs follow it. Not always. Almost always.

There is no such restraint on individual players. So Sunday night, we learn this is the only way A-Rod has figured out a way to get himself into a World Series.

By squatting and dumping on it.

His agent, Scott Boras, e-mailed the announcement to the Associated Press during the game. And excuse me, maybe one other point should be made here:

It wasn't simply a World Series game. It was a potential clinching game.

The unmistakable message in the timing of this move: I'm bigger than the game. I'm bigger than the World Series.

On the arrogance scale, A-Rod now has done the impossible. He has made the outsized Reggie Jackson of the 1970s appear as humble as Mother Theresa.

You can sit here from now until next Wednesday with a thesaurus and a 12-pack of Red Bull and still not begin to describe the gall.

On many occasions this season, from spring training through September, A-Rod told people he wanted to stay in New York. Told people it felt like home. Said at one point this spring, in the pages of the New York Times, "I understand I have an option, but I want to be a New York Yankee."

A-Rod as a phony is not a new story. A-Rod as a politician who puts one finger into the air to check which way the wind is blowing before he speaks is not a new story.

But A-Rod urinating on the World Series, the arrogance of his bankrupt soul growing faster than the national debt?

New story.

Oh, and one other thing: Baseball's ultimate event wasn't the only thing A-Rod kicked dirt onto Sunday.

No, our man also managed to snub the ever classy and dignified Hank Aaron, one of the all-time greats and a gentleman for the ages. See, baseball in 1999 instituted the Hank Aaron Award, a trophy that is awarded annually to the top hitter in each league. Before Game 4, there was a big ceremony to present this year's Aaron awards to Milwaukee's Prince Fielder, the National League winner, and A-Rod, the AL winner.

Guess which one didn't even bother to show?

Word was that A-Rod had a "prior commitment."

On the day of Game 4 of the World Series?

What, the guy already figured that his Yankees wouldn't be here and months ago booked an important speaking engagement?

It's either that or something he scheduled in the past three weeks, after the Yankees were eliminated on Oct. 8. And by then, it was pretty clear, given his incredible season, that he would be invited to the World Series to personally receive this award from Aaron.

Suggested New York tabloid headline: A-Rod to Hammer: Take your award and stick it.

The man had until 10 days after the conclusion of the World Series to opt out of his contract. He and Boras couldn't have waited until, say, Monday morning to notify all involved parties? Maybe allow the World Series -- mismatched snoozer that it was -- to actually conclude before moving onto this winter's matters?

The Yankees were said to be preparing another offer. Lord knows they're cold-blooded themselves and almost always undeserving of sympathy, but A-Rod couldn't have at least given them the courtesy of letting them present the offer and hearing them out before burning rubber out of the Bronx?

"Alex's decision was one based on not knowing what his closer, his catcher and one of his statured pitchers was going to do," Boras said of Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte. "He really didn't want to make any decisions until he knew what they were doing."

As if the Yankees are too broke to keep their marquee players. As if Rivera and Posada haven't been emphatic enough about their desire to stay in New York.

Unless, of course, A-Rod just assumes everybody else lies as often as he does.

So by opting out, A-Rod walks away from $72 million. And Boras puts the squeeze on the Yankees, forcing them to either cough up Old Man Steinbrenner's life savings or lose their best player. And if they decide to negotiate from here -- and they swear they won't -- Boras assuredly will use them as leverage to help drive up other teams' offers.

You wonder whether this might finally be the point when the money stops growing on trees. Don't count on it. Boras is the Joe DiMaggio of agents. His hitting streak on the $ sign is incredible, something to behold. Maybe A-Rod winds up with the Los Angeles Angels, Dodgers, Chicago Cubs, New York Mets or even Boston. Boras will find somebody he can outsmart, and A-Rod will get his money.

And then he will report to spring training, start another season, and spend it wondering why everybody hates him so much.

Sure, it was Boras who precision-timed this for maximum advantage.

But ultimately, he works for A-Rod. And if A-Rod is too clumsy and stupid to take the puppet strings himself, then he is doomed to a lifetime of derision and contempt -- albeit a very rich lifetime.

"Don't sign A-Rod!" the Boston fans chanted after Game 4 here, voicing their support for World Series MVP Mike Lowell -- a third baseman who is genuine, productive and clutch.

The chants echoed into the night, much as A-Rod's silly, "I want to be a New York Yankee" statement will echo throughout his career.

Hell, nobody believed him, anyway. We've all become sadly immune to deception, misdirection and lies in this game.

But can we at least play a frickin' World Series game without A-Rod trying to hijack it for his own personal gain?

This is a man who needs to be taken down.

Denise "Zazu" McDonough (Rachel Dratch) and Pat Sullivan or "Sully" (Jimmy Fallon) are a pair of Boston teenagers in love. The sketches are presented in the format of home video footage filmed by their unseen friend, Tommy. They have a torrential relationship, often arguing and making up in the same sentence. A prime example of this is Denise's tendency to say, "You're retarded," to which Sully replies, "You are" and immediately starts making out with her.

Denise and Sully are featured in all twelve sketches. Frankie Hilbert (Horatio Sanz), a long-haired, bespectacled burnout, features in all but the first. In one episode, Justin Timberlake plays Denise's younger brother, a pyromaniac who has inadvertently provided the family with a large sum of money after being molested by a priest. Donnie Bartalotti, played by non-cast member Ben Affleck, appeared three times (though there were plans for more appearances). In the final Boston Teens sketch, he gets married to Michael Smith or "Smitty", played by Seth Meyers, as a response to Massachusetts' recent legalization gay marriage.

The characters are very devoted fans of the Boston Red Sox, and use the name of former star shortstop Nomar Garciaparra as a catchphrase, though with a highly affected Boston accent, pronounced as "Nomah!" Garciaparra makes a cameo appearance in one of the skits.

The characters have their roots in a sketch called "Wicked" (an intensifier in the New England dialect, as in the expression "Wicked awesome!") performed at Chicago's Second City by Rachel Dratch and Tina Fey, playing an early version of the Denise character and her mother (or "mutha").

I know I'm late, but congrats to the Sox!

And Mr. Henry please please save the money on A-Rod and spend it on Lowell!

Arod will be worth more relative to his contract than Lowell will be, no matter what they end up making.

i loved that movie but damn Drew B had the worst hair ever in a movie. Did she even comb it once?

Yea, what was up with that?!? Looks like she barely washed it, even :yucky

Rockies owner: We're still the better team

Owner true blue for purple

By Jim Armstrong

The Denver Post

No one was more excited about the Rockies' magical run than their owner, Charlie Monfort. In fact, maybe he got a little too excited.

Monfort insisted after Game 4 of the World Series that the Rockies are a better team than the Boston Red Sox, a team that outscored them 29-10 in a four-game Series sweep.

"These guys did amazing things," Monfort said. "I think this team is a better team than Boston. It would have been nice to have another two, three, four days. We'll wake up tomorrow and go, 'There's no baseball game to go to,' but what a deal they did. It's an amazing thing they accomplished just to get here."

They were amazing, all right. But better than the Red Sox?

"I think so," said Monfort. "How did we win 21 out of 22? We got the breaks. And I think they got the breaks. Are they a better team? I don't think so. You give us 10 games against them, we'll beat them six."

Rockies owner: We're still the better team

Owner true blue for purple

By Jim Armstrong

The Denver Post

No one was more excited about the Rockies' magical run than their owner, Charlie Monfort. In fact, maybe he got a little too excited.

Monfort insisted after Game 4 of the World Series that the Rockies are a better team than the Boston Red Sox, a team that outscored them 29-10 in a four-game Series sweep.

"These guys did amazing things," Monfort said. "I think this team is a better team than Boston. It would have been nice to have another two, three, four days. We'll wake up tomorrow and go, 'There's no baseball game to go to,' but what a deal they did. It's an amazing thing they accomplished just to get here."

They were amazing, all right. But better than the Red Sox?

"I think so," said Monfort. "How did we win 21 out of 22? We got the breaks. And I think they got the breaks. Are they a better team? I don't think so. You give us 10 games against them, we'll beat them six."

so if we had just kept playing, they would have won the next six? or is he saying that they need 10 more games, and then do our four count so they only need to win 6 out of 14?