• Arby's
    • Taco Bell
    • Burger King
    • Subway

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we used to go to sonic all the time when we visited our grandparents in colorado and new mexico. i guess they just built one in my "area" but i'm not driving twenty minutes when there are jack in the box, burger king, mcdonalds, wendy's, etc. within ten minutes

Anytime someone says "Rally's," I immediately think of those old commercials they used to have where the guy working the counter or drive through used to say CHAAAAA CHIIIIIING.

The commercial

Just found out Seth Green is the guy in the ad.

DAngerer I'm sure it's like this in any big city but everytime I drive I-75 south into Dayton I'm just astonished by all the damn eateries. Castleton in Indy is the same way.

Christ, how many people subsist on this stuff?

Yeah, anytime you hit semi-urban areas along big highways, about a million fast food places start popping up. It really takes away from whatever natural beauty may be present.

I know the spot you are talking about on 75. It is just north of Dayton and for a few miles it seems like all you see on the side of the road are restaurants.

I know the spot you are talking about on 75. It is just north of Dayton and for a few miles it seems like all you see on the side of the road are restaurants.

I had no idea that spot was so famous. My wife grew up near there and every time we are driving through I always make some comment about the wall-to-wall garbage food.

I will never forget Hot 'N Now from my college days. Say what you will about the taste of the food there, but there was certainly truth in advertising. It was hot. And it was now.

Yeah, I had a few Hot 'N Now experiences. The burgers weren't much, but they had a few oddities for side dishes that were OK ... Cheezer Pleezers or something like that -- basically deep-fried potato nuggets filled with molten cheese. Wikipedia suggests that there may still be a few Hot 'N Nows open, though I have no idea where.

I miss Rax, but not for the food -- only for the blueberry milkshakes.

there may still be a few Hot 'N Nows open, though I have no idea where.

There used to be one on Washtenaw in Ypsi near the Whirly Ball. I don't think either of those places are there anymore so I am dating myself. I seem to remember burgers were $0.25 at Hot N Now or something obscene like that. Back in the old days. Like in 1994 or something. :hmm

I don't eat at any of these joints, but...

I miss Rax, but not for the food -- only for the blueberry milkshakes.

Lordy I hadn't thought of that in a long time.

They used to have a shake type thing with itty bitty dark chocolate chips that I used to swoon over.

This thread suddenly reminded me of Daddy-O's--quite literally a poor man's Rally's. I discovered this place in college, a bit off campus, but it was a drive-thru-only and had very similar food to Rally's but was a dollar or two cheaper for most items. (and probably lower on the Health Department's ratings, but hey, so what? it was cheap!)

Overall, I'd go with Wendy's, tho.

This thread suddenly reminded me of Daddy-O's--quite literally a poor man's Rally's.

there used to be a great punk bar around her called Daddy-O's... but the guy who owned it (and managed some local bands) sold out when developers wanted to build a swanky new bar (which only lasted four months)

There used to be one on Washtenaw in Ypsi near the Whirly Ball. I don't think either of those places are there anymore so I am dating myself. I seem to remember burgers were $0.25 at Hot N Now or something obscene like that. Back in the old days. Like in 1994 or something. :hmm

The one on Ypsi is long gone (it's a drive-through coffee place now, I think -- or maybe that's closed now too). I think Whirly Ball left before I moved here (in '99) but I'm not sure -- I've heard people speak of it in wistful, reverent tones.

I don't eat at any of these joints, but...

(Rax quote)

Lordy I hadn't thought of that in a long time.

They used to have a shake type thing with itty bitty dark chocolate chips that I used to swoon over.

There was a Rax in Kalamazoo where I grew up (it's now the Up And Under pub) and you could get those shakes at the drive-through window. That was evil, in the best possible way -- or maybe fantastic, in the worst possible way.

jimmy john's started out very regional to Illinois...the original is Charleston, IL and for the first few years of going to school there, it was the only one in existence. i lived on those sandwiches in college and still have them on a regular basis.

i voted for taco bell. i saw the documentary 'meat' in college and i can still wolf down a burger w/ little to no remorse. and, speaking of burgers, i worship at the altar of steak'n'shake (original in my hometown of Normal, IL)...there is no finer meal than a double w/ cheese, fries (w/ the Heinz pepper/vinegar stuff and ketchup) and a bean crock washed down w/ an orange freeze.

There was a Rax in Kalamazoo where I grew up (it's now the Up And Under pub) and you could get those shakes at the drive-through window. That was evil, in the best possible way -- or maybe fantastic, in the worst possible way.

So I'm not out of my mind. *Phew*

You said Rax and then I thought I recalled a shake with chocolate chips. Then questioned my sanity with the question: "Who would invent a shake where you had to suck chocolate chips through a straw"?

Yeah, good stuff.

There was a joint here years and years ago called the "Caravan".

The roof looked somewhat "tent-like", the icon was a Camel and the slogan was "Home of the Hump Burger"

The food was probably awful, but I'm nostalgic for that phrase "Hump Burger".

Mc Ribs are back.

Good god...

Does anyone remember Burger Chef?

The logo I remember is this one.

Yup.

You said Rax and then I thought I recalled a shake with chocolate chips. Then questioned my sanity with the question: "Who would invent a shake where you had to suck chocolate chips through a straw"?

:lol "throat bullets"

Does anyone remember Burger Chef?

The logo I remember is this one.

Yeah! My uncle ran one of those. That was THE hangout here in the '70's. The building is now a Hardee's.