YHF Engineer Demos

I had never heard this before and i dont know what to say, my mind is blown

i would like to thank Porkchop for starting the thread about AM, Analogman for drawing attention to Owls thread, and most importantly Owl for uploading them in the first place

gee

that version of Ashes of American Flags is so heartbreaking, now i remember why i listen to wilco

btw, whats the difference between the engineer demos and the regular YHF demos

Different mixes on some tracks, different takes all around on others. The instrumental songs on the regular demos became Cars Can't Escape and another song on the Engineer demos (and that became Radio Cure). I like the Engineer ones myself more so then the regular demos, and almost as much as I like the version we have all come to love.

I had never heard this before and i dont know what to say, my mind is blown

i would like to thank Porkchop for starting the thread about AM, Analogman for drawing attention to Owls thread, and most importantly Owl for uploading them in the first place

gee

that version of Ashes of American Flags is so heartbreaking, now i remember why i listen to wilco

btw, whats the difference between the engineer demos and the regular YHF demos

Call me Crow...I'll be cornbread Crow in a couple of weeks :D

what I notice is that these all seem similiar, if not the same versions of the versions "played" in IATtBYH... a guitarless Poor Places, an Ashes that starts with the drone. "The Good Part" is probably the weirdest Wilco song I've heard though. I also notice the songs polarize more...It seems like there was two potential sides of YHF: a weird, noise infected version and an acousticy rock-y version that has a more collaged approach...like Magizine or The Good Part or Corduoroy...

It's worth noting that in the demos overall, Ken Coomer plays on a few songs, not only Jay Bennett asserting his vision, and getting reigned in. The album was recorded, and then basically transformed.

Big ups for leaking the studio process. Someday I hope there is a multi-faceted version complete with studio banter a la the Pet Sounds Boxset. Very glad Wilco do not have a Murry Wilson hanging over them!

• 2 weeks later...