STOP WHINING!

To fans who tried to get tickets and failed, another 300 to 500 per show would have a made significant difference.

But you don't know that. The people that post here make up a relatively small percentage of the fan base. And just because there are x number of people here who got shut out does not mean that if the scalpers had not got their hands on the small percentage of tickets to re-sell them that the people here would have received tickets. You can't account for the other people that were attempting to get tickets for legitimate reasons because you don't know how many there are.

I'm not singling you out by any means. But I'm reading an awful lot of people's posts complaining that if it wasn't for the horrible "scalpers," then they would have received tickets. That's pure speculation. And to then post about the evils of ticket brokering by using this show as an example is pretty naive.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you defending scalping?

In both of my posts I used words like "assume" and "guess". It was not a scientific study to put a specific number on "legitimately brokered" tickets, or whatever euphemism you want to slap on it. It was a casual guess born of simple curiosity of how many tickets were bought for these shows with the express purpose of reselling the tickets at (significant) profit (SCALPING).

To reiterate: Based on the number of tickets for sale today on eBay, and assuming that number does not represent the real number of scalped tickets out there, my 'educated' guess is that for this run it's between 15 and 20% of the tickets. Or to put it on the human being scale, 300 to 500 tickets per show. And because it's just two days after the sale closed, I assume most of the tickets already for sale are coming from scalpers.

That's it.

Christ. Calm down.

Why anyone is against serious fans talking on a fan board about being upset/frustrated/angered/saddened etc. over missing out on a Residency show when hundreds - or more - tickets are in broker's hands is beyond me. Strange.

Well, if those posts where "serious fans" (I'm not sure what that even means) were limited to conveying how upset/frustrated/angered/saddened etc those people are instead of complaining about how poorly and shortsightedly the band handled the ticketing or how ticket brokers (an industry that has existed for a long, long time) are inherently evil and should have their homes burned to the ground, then perhaps they wouldn't invoke the same strong emotions from people that you're seeing.

Frankly, I think it's somewhat selfish of people to all of a sudden come out of the woodwork and complain because they, personally, did not get tickets. It's almost as if there would be no problem about which to complain had they simply successfully purchased tickets at face value. I doubt people have a problem with inflated Hannah Montana tickets. Or Chicago Cubs or Bears tickets. Yet scalpers make significantly more money on tickets to those events than they do on Wilco. But you never heard a peep about that before this weekend. Strange indeed.

I wasn't the one that started this thread. But regardless, people need to deal with it and move on. This isn't the first Wilco show to sell out and have brokers scalp tickets, and it won't be the last show. Thank God Wilco didn't play Otto's this past fall like they planned.

Why are you defending scalping?

I'm not defending scalping, but I am suggesting that some people need to grow up and get over it. Would I love to be guaranteed face-value tickets to every sold-out event that I want to go? Of course. But I also know that at times it's not possible. And when it's not, I'm not using it as an opportunity to air my dirty laundry about all that's wrong in the industry (and to some people, the world).

Like I said, people are criticizing the band for playing such a small venue, and then criticizing the band again for not personally guaranteeing each fan a ticket. I saw the same thing this summer when Pearl Jam played the Vic. I just don't get it.

Christ. Calm down.

I think this should be directed at those wishing death on the evil ticket brokers.

I'm not defending scalping, but I am suggesting that some people need to grow up and get over it. Would I love to be guaranteed face-value tickets to every sold-out event that I want to go? Of course. But I also know that at times it's not possible. And when it's not, I'm not using it as an opportunity to air my dirty laundry about all that's wrong in the industry (and to some people, the world).

Like I said, people are criticizing the band for playing such a small venue, and then criticizing the band again for not personally guaranteeing each fan a ticket. I saw the same thing this summer when Pearl Jam played the Vic. I just don't get it.

stop whining.

I think this should be directed at those wishing death on the evil ticket brokers.

jesus dude. if it bothers you that much quit the board.

Chris, I understand your point and I dont expect guranteed tickets, just angers me when I see all those tickets on those scalpers online. I really believe that scalpers make a significant difference in my opportunity. You will see more tickets on sale after they are mailed out. I do think that these shows would have definitely sold out fast, but not as fast as it did. Its not the end of the world to me, cause I am happy to be going to the Tweedy benefit show, which actually is more to my interest at this point. I dont mind the venue or blame the band, just the rules of this whole ticket system.

Alot of my anger really stems from my experience with the Cubs and Bears. I used to have no problems a few years back getting my Cubs and Bears tickets every year. As of late I cant go unless I pay HIGH prices, especially to Bears, because of these scalpers. WTF, I know there is high demand, but I know when there is something else in play.

Just expressing my anger about scalpers in general. They have now infiltrated my Wilco. Die all Scalpers!!!! Scalpers are artificially creating higher prices by shorting the supply. If people pay $100 to see a band, shouldnt the money go to the band.

jesus dude. if it bothers you that much quit the board.

It really doesn't bother me at all. It also doesn't bother me to call out people who make posts on a whim without facts to back them up and to call a spade a spade. But perhaps I'm a little too blunt for people's fragile sensitivities.

It really doesn't bother me at all. It also doesn't bother me to call out people who make posts on a whim without facts to back them up and to call a spade a spade. But perhaps I'm a little too blunt for people's fragile sensitivities.

It obviously bothers you or you would let it go, just like you want others to let the "scalping", for lack of a better term, issue go. I and others have admitted that it bothers us. What posts were made without facts? You aren't to blunt, you just don't make any sense. This is a legitimate issue to be discussed and a legitimate forum to discuss it on. Why do you have such a problem with the discussion?

Alot of my anger really stems from my experience with the Cubs and Bears. I used to have no problems a few years back getting my Cubs and Bears tickets every year. As of late I cant go unless I pay HIGH prices, especially to Bears, because of these scalpers. WTF, I know there is high demand, but I know when there is something else in play.

In the case of the Bears, there are just not that many non-season tickets available (only a few thousand of the 61,000 seats), and single game tickets go on sale well before the season starts. So, yes, if you wait until the season starts to try to buy tickets for any game, brokers are really your only option. Can't really blame the scalpers on this one. It's just the nature of the NFL, where most tickets are season-tickets. Also, this isn't any different than in years past. The face value of the tickets has risen dramtically, hence the higher prices from brokers. The supply/demand dynamic has not changed much.

The Cubs aren't much different. It's really not hard to get Cubs tickets if you are willing to buy them when they go on sale.

My point is you really can't compare this situation to that of the Cubs/Bears.

Chris, I understand your point and I dont expect guranteed tickets, just angers me when I see all those tickets on those scalpers online. I really believe that scalpers make a significant difference in my opportunity. You will see more tickets on sale after they are mailed out. I do think that these shows would have definitely sold out fast, but not as fast as it did. Its not the end of the world to me, cause I am happy to be going to the Tweedy benefit show, which actually is more to my interest at this point. I dont mind the venue or blame the band, just the rules of this whole ticket system.

I think the closer that you get to the show, the more people will be dumping tickets. Frankly, I don't have an answer to the ticketing system. They could go to will-call, but that would create other hastles for the band (like having to staff more people at the will-call booth) and the fans (what if you can't make the show and want to pass your tickets along).

That's a good example. I'm a season-ticket holder to the Cubs. There are games that I can't go to and, admittedly, I've sold tickets above face value. Does that make me a scalper? By the technical term, yes it does. But I also know that I didn't buy the tickets for the express purpose of re-selling them and making a dollar. Why didn't I just sell them at face value? Well, I found out a lot of times that the people to whom I sold them (off of Craig's list) themselves turned around and sold them for higher than face. So really, there was no difference.

My point is, I'm not sure that there is an answer.

I'd like to thank in advance the folks who buy my "extra" five day passes off of Ebay (auction ends soon, low reserve, bid with confidence :thumbup) you've made this holiday season much easier on my bank account.

I quickly perused eBay for ticket sellers and prices.

On the regular eBay tickets there were approxomately 250 tickets up for sale. The StubHub deal had a total of 1000 tickets for all 5 nights.

What's the Riv capacity? Assuming my count on eBay represents a small percentage of tickets that were bought for the sole purpose of reselling at a higher price ($90 to $365 on eBay), ticket sellers who don't list the actual numbers of total tickets they have, and considering the tickets which have already been sold from eBay, I'd say that scalpers were able to purchase a significant portion of the tickets available.

Wow...scary shit.....

LouieB

In the case of the Bears, there are just not that many non-season tickets available (only a few thousand of the 61,000 seats), and single game tickets go on sale well before the season starts. So, yes, if you wait until the season starts to try to buy tickets for any game, brokers are really your only option. Can't really blame the scalpers on this one. It's just the nature of the NFL, where most tickets are season-tickets. Also, this isn't any different than in years past. The face value of the tickets has risen dramtically, hence the higher prices from brokers. The supply/demand dynamic has not changed much.

The Cubs aren't much different. It's really not hard to get Cubs tickets if you are willing to buy them when they go on sale.

My point is you really can't compare this situation to that of the Cubs/Bears.

I try for my Bears/Cubs tickets at the say of first date of sale. I used to be able to get tickets fairly easily like 3 years ago. For Bears, Im not searching for anything special, any ticket will do, just get me in. Now, home games sellout without even a chance. Also, Cubs bleacher tickets to weekends sellout like nothing else. I used to have a little trouble before but always got in. No more. Not even close.

This totally reminded me of the cubs and bears.

If it bothers you that I'm posting about it, "why don't you quit the board?"

:thumbup

I think that folks would just like you to admit that it bothers you.

That's a good example. I'm a season-ticket holder to the Cubs. There are games that I can't go to and, admittedly, I've sold tickets above face value. Does that make me a scalper? By the technical term, yes it does. But I also know that I didn't buy the tickets for the express purpose of re-selling them and making a dollar. Why didn't I just sell them at face value? Well, I found out a lot of times that the people to whom I sold them (off of Craig's list) themselves turned around and sold them for higher than face. So really, there was no difference.

That does not makes you a scalper. Scalpers are people who buy tickets with the sole intention of selling them at higher prices.