STOP WHINING!

You have to joking, right? As was said, complaining about how Wilco tickets were distributed and anything else Wilco-related should be done on a Wilco board. All of the gripes are legitimate. No one is making points that are not valid or is just being an ass. Also the irony is that you are "flooding the board with whiny ass bullshit" by posting a complaint about it. To a serious Wilco fan, not getting tickets to or paying more than the band intended for these special fan-oriented shows due to making it easy for scalpers is real problem for true fans. If I didn't get tickets because the Residency simply sold out and hundreds of tickets were not on ebay, stub hub, et al, I would be bummed but not angry.

I would be bummed too but you do know someone pays for this site to be up, people also use this site to get information about Wilco. I'm not saying this isn't the right place to vent, I hate ticketbastard as much as the next guy but how many threads do we need. Especially when you see how many of these people posting about not getting tickets haven't even been part of the board very long and they are flooding it.

Also who says it was rigged. I highly doubt the music today presale was. They had a "limited number of tickets" the venue isn't huge. Factor in how many people came out to the millennium park concert and are craving for another chance to see wilco. Sorry they aren't a little band that plays at Lounge Ax anymore, they have hit the big time. They're a great live band and everybody knows it.

These scaplers make quite a bit of money scalping tickets so you bet your ass they are going to be online the second tickets go on sale. I am sure there were scalpers using several computers to fuck you over. Yes ticketbastard rips off fans do they skim tickets to sell to scalpers; probably but I can't imagine every scalper has a contract with ticketbastard. I'm not condoning what their doing but I don't know about all these conspiracy theories; sure ticketbastard raps your pocket but come on; ALL those scalpers were in on it. Its laughable.

I feel bad for everybody but were does the bitching get you?

If a moderator could close this thread i'd appreciate it; I said what I needed to say.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a moderator could close this thread i'd appreciate it; I said what I needed to say.

that's not how it works

if you want to say something on a forum, you don't dick out when you take some heat, it's an area for discussion, not onesided ranting. you "said what you needed to say", be openminded enough to let other people "say what they need to say"

The truth of the matter is that we are very lucky to still be able to see them in such an intimate venue. By all accounts, Wilco could be playing local shows at United, Rosemont or Sears. Would you prefer that? Sure, there's a problem with ticket sales and TM and brokers. Maybe they could set up a system where half the tickets are mail order through WW (which the brokers may not bother with), and the other half through will call, where to pick up your tickets you must enter the show. It was a clusterfuck for sure, but if you have any extras, and this goes for all shows, please do not sell them to the scalpers who greet you when you get out of your car! They not only want to rip you off but the fan a few feet away who'll pay their price.

I prefer a GA show to reserved everytime. I've been taping shows for 25 years so you know I respect the people around me. I have to! I try to be invisible. Like Jeff said at the Crystal Ballroom, don't set yourself above the collective experience! If someone takes a break for beer/bathroom, let them back in. If the person in front of you is not abusing the unspoken space rules, then don't push them. Wilco fans, and music fans in general, are generally kind to each other. I can't help but also say that if you want to talk, and there wasn't enough time to do so while waiting in line, and then inside before the show, to please respect those around you who want to listen to the show and not you! I know I'm preaching to the choir!

:dancing

So this is what happened to free speech then. I am sure the band would be proud that someone stands up and wants everyone else to shut up.

Fine, maybe like this: "Oh God, thank you so much, Ticketbastard, for saving us from spending 1500 $ on a needless trip to Chicago as a Valentines Day present, to see a band that is selling out on VW TV spots already anyway, from having to spend time with those horrible Trust Fund Kids who I've wanted to meet again ever since I was lucky enough to meet them first, fight that awful Chicago weather, and on top of all having to spend what you call "quality time" with the spouse! Really I couldn't be happier that now the fictive 1500 $ will go to those nice ticket brokers who probably have to feed 5 kids each and need to make a living. Thank you Ticketmaster, I will enclose you in my goodnight prayer from now on. Amen."

Just out of interest, Matt: Did you get tickets (in case you wanted to & tried) :)?

this is the most retarded thing to have a fight over that I've ever heard of.

Move on, life isn't fair. Yeah it sucks but oh well. A lot of you are lucky enough to see wilco in your town ever. put your focus on something else, ya know maybe something positive or uplifting.

jc4prez, you are hilarious. I did not say a word about a rigged pre-sale. Please do not link me with that idea. Also the amount of posts I have is irrelevant. How often I post on this site has absolutely nothing to do with my level of love and respect for Wilco. Not that it matters, but Jeff Tweedy has been my guy since No Depression came out and Screen Door moved me. That you complain about a thread on a board is a riot. You know what the thread is about, so don't read the threads that you find pointless. Do you watch pointless Tv shows and read pointless books?

I believe he is emailing or messaging people on stubhub/ebay (they might have an email listed so people can ask them questions) and saying rude things to them.

I am targeting craiglisters and its more than just saying rude things. A little run around is fun but ending with some name calling. Im not gonna change anything but its a little fun for me. Those bastards!!! They stole my tix!!! hehehehe

I just find it funny that, all of a sudden, scalping becomes an epidemic in the music industry because people complaining about it happened to strike out on Wilco tickets last week.

The band can't seem to win. First people pine for the days when Wilco played small venues, and those people wish and wish and wish that Wilco would simply play the Riv. or the Vic instead of Pritzker, and then when the band announces shows at these venues, people complain about not getting tickets. Well, what exactly was expected? Of course they were going to sell out quickly and of course the tickets would not be easy to get.

And if people think that if it "wasn't for the scalpers, [they] would have gotten tickets," they're being naive. Because for as many people that post on this message board that didn't get tickets, there are about 4-5 other people that aren't scalpers that struck out as well. This is what happens when you increase your fanbase and the laws of supply and demand kick in.

[end of rant]

And if people think that if it "wasn't for the scalpers, [they] would have gotten tickets," they're being naive.

I think you're wrong. Wilco isnt that big. Normal demand wouldnt have sold out that quickly.

The scalpers diminish the supply screwing with the natural supply/demand. I really think without scalpers, I could get the tickets I want, not only for Wilco but other events.

So we disagree.

I think you're wrong. Wilco isnt that big.

There are a lot of fans in Chicago that have no problem going to see Wilco 5 shows in a row. Add that to that the fact that the shows are in Chicago -- the band's biggest breeding ground for fans -- and you have a ticket that's tough to get. Wilco may not be U2, but they're not a garage band struggling to get gigs.

Normal demand wouldnt have sold out that quickly.

It certainly did in 2005 at the 4 Vic shows, and I didn't hear nearly as much complaining about scalpers as I read about now.

I really think without scalpers, I could get the tickets I want, not only for Wilco but other events.

I think that you're strongly overestimating the amount of scalpers selling tickets to these shows compared to the amount of fans that tried to get tickets but couldn't.

Standing room concerts are better than seated concerts, unless you're in a theater to see jazz or something.

Seriously. It's not the symphony.

Last year I saw Wilco at the Barrymore in Madison (smaller than the Riv I think, just as dumpy, but with better, cheaper beer), and at the Auditorium theatre. I enjoyed the Barrymore show MUCH more than the show at the auditorium. Sure, it was crowded, standing room, we were jostled around, it was sometimes hard to see (especially for us short people) and there were hyper, drunk college kids singing along, but it was a blast and the crowd was pumped up!

:rock

The Auditorium show felt like a show I'd take my dad to see. He's in his 70s and only listens to classical music, but he would have enjoyed the Auditorium show--it felt like being at the symphony. And hey, I enjoyed the auditorium too, but for rock shows, I have more fun at smaller, less formal venues.

I think that you're strongly overestimating the amount of scalpers selling tickets to these shows compared to the amount of fans that tried to get tickets but couldn't.

I quickly perused eBay for ticket sellers and prices.

On the regular eBay tickets there were approxomately 250 tickets up for sale. The StubHub deal had a total of 1000 tickets for all 5 nights.

What's the Riv capacity? Assuming my count on eBay represents a small percentage of tickets that were bought for the sole purpose of reselling at a higher price ($90 to $365 on eBay), ticket sellers who don't list the actual numbers of total tickets they have, and considering the tickets which have already been sold from eBay, I'd say that scalpers were able to purchase a significant portion of the tickets available.

On the regular eBay tickets there were approximately 250 tickets up for sale. The SubHub deal had a total of 1000 tickets for all 5 nights.

What's the Riv capacity? Assuming my count represents a small percentage of tickets that were bought for the sole purpose of reselling at a higher price ($90 to $365 on eBay), ticket sellers who don't list the actual numbers of total tickets they have, and considering the tickets which have already been sold from eBay, I'd say that scalpers were able to purchase a significant portion of the tickets available.

The Riv has a capacity of 2000-2500. So, scalpers have anywhere from 10-12% of the available tickets for the run.

On the regular eBay tickets there were approxomately 250 tickets up for sale. The StubHub deal had a total of 1000 tickets for all 5 nights.

What's the Riv capacity? Assuming my count on eBay represents a small percentage of tickets that were bought for the sole purpose of reselling at a higher price ($90 to $365 on eBay), ticket sellers who don't list the actual numbers of total tickets they have, and considering the tickets which have already been sold from eBay, I'd say that scalpers were able to purchase a significant portion of the tickets available.

I'm not following where you get "a significant portion of the tickets available." Using the stated Riv's capacity, you have 2,500 tickets for sale per night. If you take the average of all those tickets on the secondary market (on eBay and StubHub -- which typically does not account for all of the licensed scalpers (some are individual ticket purchasers that are just re-selling them for one reason or another)), you have about 250 tickets per show up for sale. So, assuming that those people selling on eBay and StubHub bought for the express purpose of re-selling the tickets on the secondary market, that means that only 10% of the tickets that were sold per show are now being offered on the secondary market. How is that "a significant portion of the tickets available," when 90% of the tickets were not bought by scalpers?

Um if you're talking to me, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Just reporting the facts.

But they're wrong.

I'm not following where you get "a significant portion of the tickets available." Using the stated Riv's capacity, you have 2,500 tickets for sale per night. If you take the average of all those tickets on the secondary market (on eBay and StubHub -- which typically does not account for all of the licensed scalpers (some are individual ticket purchasers that are just re-selling them for one reason or another)), you have about 250 tickets per show up for sale. So, assuming that those people selling on eBay and StubHub bought for the express purpose of re-selling the tickets on the secondary market, that means that only 10% of the tickets that were sold per show are now being offered on the secondary market. How is that "a significant portion of the tickets available," when 90% of the tickets were not bought by scalpers?

That assumes that StubHub and eBay are the only places where scalpers resell tickets.

But they're wrong.

My guess would be that between 15 and 20% of the available tickets were purchased by scalpers. I'm assuming (as I said in my other post) that simply counting the tickets available today on eBay is not a complete representation of scalped tickets out there or those already sold.

To fans who tried to get tickets and failed, another 300 to 500 per show would have a made significant difference.

Personally, I tried for tickets during the Saturday sale. Mostly out of curiosity, as I had not planned to go. I have never been shut out of a sale before, (including easily getting Saturday night tickets for the run of Vic shows). No dice.

Dunno. Not whining. Just observing really.

awww :(

You know though, miss chris, that I was *easily* able to get a five show pass in the presale -- on my first try, whereas for others it was far less easy -- meaning no dice :lol

chris H 2, simple math. If you remove the ticket brokers and their software, more fans would have tickets for the price that Wilco wanted them to pay. Yes, some would still be shut out but obviously more would have face-value tickets. It is a simple conclusion.

Why anyone is against serious fans talking on a fan board about being upset/frustrated/angered/saddened etc. over missing out on a Residency show when hundreds - or more - tickets are in broker's hands is beyond me. Strange.

That assumes that StubHub and eBay are the only places where scalpers resell tickets.

Sure, but like I said, the original assumption is that those that sell on StubHub and eBay represent a significant portion of licensed brokers who bought the tickets for the express purpose of re-selling them on the secondary market (and not simply people who bought too many or can't go and are putting them up for auction). After all, I thought the whole point of people's gripes (like those seeking to ban broker sites) is to cut down or eliminate "scalpers" in the truest sense of the word. You're never going to be able to stop randoms from simply re-selling.

awww :(

You know though, miss chris, that I was *easily* able to get a five show pass in the presale -- on my first try, whereas for others it was far less easy -- meaning no dice :lol

Oh yes! There are many that got tickets during the presale. I mean thank God.

Just throwing stuff out there to kick around. You know me. :lol