89 words into the review, and I can already tell by the writing style that not only does the reviewer not understand the movie, but that the reviewer towers above all by objectifying all issues. There are unnecessary sentences in that review that doesn't even benefit his/her argument. Starting from the small pissants to the over-generalization of everything, the writer does not want to stick with a topic or a point really. There's nit-picking about the opinions made, not the presentation. This isn't a review; it's a rant.

Whoever is maintaining that magazine should desperately search for an editor, or a new one.

Also, "reverse-racism trick"?

I can't tell if you're commenting on the review, or concurrently writing about your own post...

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the same type of crap I was talking about in the Dr. Dog thread- again I don't mind snobbery or pretentiousness, but I hate when reviewers go at length to throw punches. It's a god damn Batman movie, not a Nietchzeian exposition on the psychology of the high and lows of society. Using the term overrated when going at lengths to describe how Alan Moore "does The Joker better" is the biggest contradiction of the entire thing-- most comic writers (ESPECIALLY Alan Moore) are overrated in their own right. Expecting some sort of freak of nature-- an entertaining pop culture movie displaying psychological studies and philosophical concerns-- in a PG-13 Batman movie will set you up to write one of those inane, immature-yet-nuanced reviews. Pop culture is lucky to get what it got out of this movie. It could have been much, much, worse.

I think he makes valid points, although I'll reiterate I liked the movie and he clearly didn't. But, comic book movie or not, if you're going to make a complex movie based on complex issues and emotions, they should be well developed and, for me, there wasn't enough development of key plot point, themes and characters. This is not to say it is bad movie, I just don't think it is the masterpiece it is being hailed as. But, as I said in that same Dr. Dog thread, that is like my opinion dude and shouldn't have any impact on your opinion or your ability to enjoy the movie.

this is the same type of crap I was talking about in the Dr. Dog thread- again I don't mind snobbery or pretentiousness, but I hate when reviewers go at length to throw punches. It's a god damn Batman movie, not a Nietchzeian exposition on the psychology of the high and lows of society. Using the term overrated when going at lengths to describe how Alan Moore "does The Joker better" is the biggest contradiction of the entire thing-- most comic writers (ESPECIALLY Alan Moore) are overrated in their own right. Expecting some sort of freak of nature-- an entertaining pop culture movie displaying psychological studies and philosophical concerns-- in a PG-13 Batman movie will set you up to write one of those inane, immature-yet-nuanced reviews. Pop culture is lucky to get what it got out of this movie. It could have been much, much, worse.

Hey, I loved the movie. I'm going to see it again. I just liked that he pointed out how ridiculous the boat scene was. Nothing more, nothing less.

The scene with The Joker dressed up as a nurse was great - along with the jail scenes -

probably my favorite parts of the film.

Yes -

Do I really have to use the spoiler option at this point? Anyway, the shot outside the hospital - from him walking out to detonating the final bomb

- was the best thing I've seen in a movie all year.

Yes -

Do I really have to use the spoiler option at this point? Anyway, the shot outside the hospital - from him walking out to detonating the final bomb

- was the best thing I've seen in a movie all year.

That shit was spooky.

Jesus. someecards.com should design a "Sorry The Dark Knight didn't change your life" card.

Does Alan Moore REALLY need a pseudonym?

I think the idea that fans of the film can't take a bit of criticism is a bit more pathetic.

Jesus. Talk about lack of perspective.

Jesus. Talk about lack of perspective.

As a researcher I love IMDb and use it every day, but the weirdest thing about that article is that people actually care about user rankings at an internet database. Now, my eyebrow might raise if Dark Knight replaces Godfather on the Sight & Sound poll...

for the record, loved it. best comic book based movie ever and my favorite of the summer, if not year.

BTW, did everybody catch the hint at at least one of the next bad guys for the next flick should there be one?

Will it stop a dog?

It'll do fine on cats.

This is probably one of my favorite movies ever. I'll be seeing it for the 4th time tomorrow, and might catch it in imax this weekend.

for the record, loved it. best comic book based movie ever and my favorite of the summer, if not year.

BTW, did everybody catch the hint at at least one of the next bad guys for the next flick should there be one?

yeah, but if they're smart, they won't make her a straight up villain. the character works much better as an ally of Batman.

yeah, but if they're smart, they won't make her a straight up villain. the character works much better as an ally of Batman.

If they're smart, they won't even put her in it. But they will, so, whatever. It works. (SPOILER) The city hates Batman now. Time for a new hero or somesuch.

When Joker's on the screen, the movie is amazing. He's got just the right amount of creepiness mixed with a dark comical side. And the action scenes are great....the new motorcycle vehicle is super cool. And I love the interplay between Batman and the Joker.

But, like Spiderman 3, it's got too much going on.

SPOILER ALERT.....

I know Two-Face is a conflicted character, but I didn't quite buy his wrath towards Gordon and his family. Nor did I understand how he wasn't so pissed off at the Joker. I don't know. Maybe they couldn't give enough time to flesh out Dent/Two-Face's character. I just really didn't care about or understand the character at all.

Plus, Two-Face gets the final scene. Shouldn't the Joker's showdown have been the big payoff? Although, even that was a letdown...predictably, the ferry boats stay safe.

And Bale's voice as Batman is brutal. It bothered me in the first one, and it's more bothersome in the Dark Knight. Why can't he just talk normal? It's a super-hero movie. I think the audience would believe that Batman's identity would be safe even if his voice wasn't altered. We bought it in Superman and Spiderman.

And Bale's voice as Batman is brutal. It bothered me in the first one, and it's more bothersome in the Dark Knight.

This is pretty much the only real problem I had with the film. Did he want people to think he was Harvey Fierstein?

for me, i dont need any more villians, I really dont need another movie, I like it right where it ended. Honeslty I'd rather bring ra's back, he's immortal anyway right?

they set it up for the criminal world/underground or some new detective to go after batman, if they go again, i hope they dont fret over new villians, or go somewhere like THE CULT or something. . . anyway, I really enjoyed it, I've seen it multiple times - yeah we can nitpick it to death - the only thing I wish would have been different -

SPOILS

The first parking garage scene - if it were me, there's all the fake bmen, the dogs the fight, everyone;s scrambling, then bmobile does its thing, loiters, intimidates, then taking a page from begins, let the real bman stand up, quick like a ghost, shift POV to scarecrow as he flees, sees everyone is down, then hit the van, tries to tear in and the big reveal and entrance of the dark knight would be when he lands on that van - forget about it, I just wish we had that moment I would have got up and punched the kid next to me.

but man, transporting harvey, what a sequence - ridiculous