Nope. I think everything Jay has released or been involved with is top-notch.

Agree completely. I believe the bulk of his albums outside of Uncle Tupelo and Trace need minor, to major, editing. However, that is a personal preference.

There are brilliant albums buried in just about every one of his releases.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At one time Jay was tops in my mind. I was one who loved going to see Son Volt During the first three album stretch. What a tight machine like band. (my favorite moment from a Son Volt concert was when Jay started laughing after playing the harmonica solo leading up to the start of Medicine Hat, it was like he was saying "I know that is absurd" ) I consider the Son Volt "Retrospective" essential for anyone who cares about music.

Now that being said, his solo albums are interesting but indicate a man losing his touch and going through some kind of identity crisis.

The reformed Son Volt is a freaking joke that if I were the Boquist brothers I would sue Jay for ruining the name. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. There is nothing subtle about his new stuff. Just don't get it, and that makes me sad, but I've tried and I just don't get it.

At one time Jay was tops in my mind. I was one who loved going to see Son Volt During the first three album stretch. What a tight machine like band. (my favorite moment from a Son Volt concert was when Jay started laughing after playing the harmonica solo leading up to the start of Medicine Hat, it was like he was saying "I know that is absurd" ) I consider the Son Volt "Retrospective" essential for anyone who cares about music.

Now that being said, his solo albums are interesting but indicate a man losing his touch and going through some kind of identity crisis.

The reformed Son Volt is a freaking joke that if I were the Boquist brothers I would sue Jay for ruining the name. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. There is nothing subtle about his new stuff. Just don't get it, and that makes me sad, but I've tried and I just don't get it.

funny how two people can see the same music so differently

i think the Search is as good as anything Jay has done post-tupelo

clipped:

Is he referencing the Oklahoma city or the Indian chief the city was named for? Did you know the word means "things up high"? Interesting.

I'll take a stab at this one. JF is referencing the city in OK, simple as that. Okemah is the birthplace of Woody Guthrie, which he references in "Bandages and Scars" with the refrain: "The words of Woody Guthrie ringing in my head." The cover art pays homage to Woody as well.

As for the other album titles-- beats me. :stunned

K

Farrar is Farrar and Tweedy is Tweedy. I have no desire to compare them but I do have a desire to hear their new music and see their shows. I am excited for both of the new releases. I am nervous about my Knoxville tickets lack of arrival, though...

The reformed Son Volt is a freaking joke that if I were the Boquist brothers I would sue Jay for ruining the name.

How you seen the Farrar, Duplantis, Bryson, Masterson, Spencer Son Volt? If not, I can't believe that you'll call them a 'freaking joke' once you see them. If you have, then I agree with hardwoodfloor.

Farrar is Farrar and Tweedy is Tweedy. I have no desire to compare them but I do have a desire to hear their new music and see their shows. I am excited for both of the new releases. I am nervous about my Knoxville tickets lack of arrival, though...

I don't think anyone was comparing them.

I'm hoping for a good album from Jay. I haven't really enjoyed anything of his since the early Son Volt days.

funny how two people can see the same music so differently

Paralysis by analysis. The Search is a completely different chapter and should be approached as such. It's a great fucking album.

Farrar is Farrar and Tweedy is Tweedy.

Good to know. :thumbup

How you seen the Farrar, Duplantis, Bryson, Masterson, Spencer Son Volt? If not, I can't believe that you'll call them a 'freaking joke' once you see them. If you have, then I agree with hardwoodfloor.

Masterson is a fucking beast!

No I haven't seen the "new" Son Volt live. I stopped going to see Jay after a few shows during his solo tours. I'm basing my opinion on the recorded output. I know it was a strong thing to say, but IMO I feel sad for how much I believe he has lost it. I'm glad he is still connecting with some people, but it isn't me (and that I guess is ok). I don't know, you listen to Trace and Straighaways and there was an undelrying theme I could feel. No I didn't understand every line, but I understood emotionally what was being said. His new stuff just seems like pretenious word salad. Sometimes even preachy. But I know you guys have been speaking on behalf of the Search for a while and I will try it again (in case I was having a bad day). I just hated the way Okemah felt. I was so excited and then I hear Jet Pilot and I thought that is junior high crap.

I don't think anyone was comparing them.

I'm hoping for a good album from Jay. I haven't really enjoyed anything of his since the early Son Volt days.

I didn't say that anyone was comparing them. I just said that I have no desire to do so. It is admirable that no one has ever compared them, though. :thumbup

I was so excited and then I hear Jet Pilot and I thought that is junior high crap.

I agree. That is truly a song that I never need to hear again. Few people can write a song so obviously contemporary that it stands the test of time. I will say that I honestly cannot think of a Tweedy song that has a similar response!

nice post rider. :)

I'm also looking forward to hearing this. Glad the title is revealed ... "American Central Dust"

Now we just need Wilco's new album title!

What exciting new releases await us fans! :music

thanks for the kudos Wendy. the next few months are gonna be great with son volt and wilco releases. i think the title of the new son volt album is classic farrar.

I'm half-joking. But must I always have to pull out a dictionary or encyclopedia when I read his newest record title?

What IS a Thrid shift grotto slack?

Do people get blues about geographical terrain?

What big event happened in the little-known Ukraine city?

Is he referencing the Oklahoma city or the Indian chief the city was named for? Did you know the word means "things up high"? Interesting.

Anyone want to explain what Amercian Central Dust might mean?

I mean, who the hell knows why Pavement named an album "Brighten the Corners", but I'm OK with it. The Eels named a record "Daisies of the Galaxies". Wierd, sure. But I can get a feeling or images in my head.....I understand the words.

Many of Farrar's titles just make me scratch my head.

his titles make me say, 'fuck yeah!'...so much to sink your teeth into both lyrically and musically. btw, really digging the search, but am glad the new one is gonna be back to basics.

I HATE the backwards tracking stuff "space noise" or whatever he calls it between songs on that album.

I mean....WTF IS that anyways? Was that his arty response to YHF or something?

Makes it tough to throw it on the player. Otherwise, its an ok album.

space junk, to be precise. i love that shit!

No I haven't seen the "new" Son Volt live. I stopped going to see Jay after a few shows during his solo tours. I'm basing my opinion on the recorded output. I know it was a strong thing to say, but IMO I feel sad for how much I believe he has lost it. I'm glad he is still connecting with some people, but it isn't me (and that I guess is ok). I don't know, you listen to Trace and Straighaways and there was an undelrying theme I could feel. No I didn't understand every line, but I understood emotionally what was being said. His new stuff just seems like pretenious word salad. Sometimes even preachy. But I know you guys have been speaking on behalf of the Search for a while and I will try it again (in case I was having a bad day). I just hated the way Okemah felt. I was so excited and then I hear Jet Pilot and I thought that is junior high crap.

I hear what your saying. I remember how excited I was to see Jay's first solo tour... Son Volt had been disbanded for quite some time and there was absolutely no word of Jay whatsoever. It was like he completely disappeared off the face of the earth... Then he came to town in 2001 (I think?) with Mark Spencer in tow and I was absolutely floored. I never had the opportunity to see UT live and the only time I got to see Son Volt was an arena show in which they opened for John Mellencamp...Unfortunatetly I was so high that night I had absolutely no recollection of Son Volt's set. By the time I came down from my high Mellencamp was rocking out to Jack and Diane... But I digress...That solo show in circa 2001 was probably one of the top 2 or 3 concert experiences of my life...Tears rushed down my face when he broke into Still Be Around...It was surreal... Jay came back to town the next year with Spencer right after Sebastapol (very good first solo effort) was released and played a very similar type set (no surprise) but this time he floored me with the Trace classic Too Early and an absoluelty gorgeous cover of Merle Haggard's Sing Me Back Home... As much as I love seeing Tweedy solo, I have never been moved in such a way as I did at those two Jay shows.

But then Terroir Blues came out and I coulndt beleive what I was hearing...I gave it a couple of listens and with the exception of Dent County, couldnt stand to take any more of it... A short time after that Jay toured with Canyon and I thought to myself "what the hell is he doing." I remember telling a friend how bad they were. Horrible musicians... The lone exception being the drummer, who would later join Son Volt full time...A couple years passed along and Jay released more crap. Third shift Grotto slack and that Live album with Canyon... I was about ready to give up on Jay.

Then in early 2004 (i think), a friend called to say that Son Volt was getting back together as the original line-up. They were going to be recording a song for a tribute album for Alejandro Escovedo and then get back in the studio to start recording... WOW!!!!! I was shocked... I thought that maybe Jay had finally woken up and realized that his career was not going down the path that he had intended...Hey we all make mistakes, right? Man I couldnt have been happier.

A few week later I find out that the Boquists are considering legal action against Jay and that the comeback is no more...WTF!!! The new Son Volt would now be comprised of Jay, two Canyon band member, Andrew Duplantis (the one bright spot) and I believe Brad Rice on lead guitar... I was so pissed that Jay had the audacity to call this make-shift line-up Son Volt... The only band member I was familar with was Duplanits, and I had personally known Brad Rice from his time with Ryan Adams and I knew that he was a solid player but he was strictly a session player...He wouldnt be a permanent member of this outfit (sure enough Brad would later leave Jay to join Keith Urban).

I made the trip down to Austin for SXSW for the new Son Volt's debut show... Enough time had passed that I was at least willing to give Jay another chance... They certianly didnt dissapoint... Granted there was no fiddle, dobro, or pedal steel this show, but it still rocked out like Son Volt nonetheless. Hell Wilco certianly had their fair share of cast member changes, and I still loved them just the same... It certianly beat the hell out of Jay and Canyon thats for damn sure.

So a little bit later Okema and the Melody of Riot comes out...While my first reaction was not nearly that of Terrior Blues, I still was dissapointed... Songs like Jet Pilot, Ipecac, Endless War, Chaos Streams and Medication quickly found the fast forward button on my cd changer... Not the first effort I had expecte... However when Son Volt toured behind this album they put up some of the best setlists money could buy... Back Into Your World, Loose String, Drown, Carraytid Easy, Picking up the Signal, Route, and the show closer Chickamauga was certianly worth the price of admission. Yes it wasnt Mike Heidorn and the Boqusits behind him but it rocked out nonetheless.

Jay would later go thru guitarists during that tour like most people change their socks. It was almost embarrasing to hear that certain players couldnt perform due to "prior obligations". Your playing with Son Volt for chist sakes, their should not be prior obligations. Finally Jay found Chirs Masterson, and with that he found an absolute gem. Though he didnt play on the Search (better than Okema but still a dust gatherer in my collection) he made some of the Search songs that were unbearable to listen to on the ablum, with their backword guitar loops (Brad Rice's going away present to Jay was to shit on his album production) shine live. Outside of Dave Boquist, he couldnt have found a better guitar player to work with.

Jay finally dumped the keyboard player (though Derry will tell you that he left on his own to play with Jason Isbell). Either way that was a huge plus in my book. Jay brought on Mark Spencer and apparently has him playing pedal steel on the new album.... There are two absolute gems on this new record called Dynamite and Dust of Daylight... The latter of which will probably go down as being just as good as anything he has ever recorded.... I hear there is filddle on the record as well.... Steel guitar, fiddle, what the fuck more could you ask for... Maybe a few Trace like rockers and we might have the best new alubm since, dare I day it the second time in the same sentence, Trace!

Anyway, needless to say I am stoked to hear this new record. I have really come to enjoy the new Son Volt and unlike Wilco (dare I say it) if the pattern holds, each album looks to be better than the previous... As a music fan. what more can you ask for?

I have seen almost every incarnation of Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt. Although I strongly prefer the Boquist version, the latest version got after it pretty good. That said, I prefer Jay solo these days (or w/Mark Spencer, Anders and the like). Jay has found a nice stride to my ears and it really comes out when he is solo. I think he struggles with pulling in the larger crowds without "Son Volt". However, I would think it more lucrative so tour solo and play the smaller venues.

Oh, and Brent, no Chaos Streams? I love that tune.

I have seen almost every incarnation of Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt. Although I strongly prefer the Boquist version, the latest version got after it pretty good. That said, I prefer Jay solo these days (or w/Mark Spencer, Anders and the like). Jay has found a nice stride to my ears and it really comes out when he is solo. I think he struggles with pulling in the larger crowds without "Son Volt". However, I would think it more lucrative so tour solo and play the smaller venues.

Oh, and Brent, no Chaos Streams? I love that tune.

saw him solo in 04 with spencer. stood up the whole time and didn't even care. the show was amazing! i hope he tours solo again at some point. not many artists solo are as compelling as tweed and farrar. maybe neil young. incidently, i went to see mark kozelek a few weeks later at the same venue and it was terrible.

also, i hope jay gets to some more of his new folk stuff a la gob iron. that would make for a good solo outing.

I hear what your saying. I remember how excited I was to see Jay's first solo tour... Son Volt had been disbanded for quite some time and there was absolutely no word of Jay whatsoever. It was like he completely disappeared off the face of the earth... Then he came to town in 2001 (I think?) with Mark Spencer in tow and I was absolutely floored. I never had the opportunity to see UT live and the only time I got to see Son Volt was an arena show in which they opened for John Mellencamp...Unfortunatetly I was so high that night I had absolutely no recollection of Son Volt's set. By the time I came down from my high Mellencamp was rocking out to Jack and Diane... But I digress...That solo show in circa 2001 was probably one of the top 2 or 3 concert experiences of my life...Tears rushed down my face when he broke into Still Be Around...It was surreal... Jay came back to town the next year with Spencer right after Sebastapol (very good first solo effort) was released and played a very similar type set (no surprise) but this time he floored me with the Trace classic Too Early and an absoluelty gorgeous cover of Merle Haggard's Sing Me Back Home... As much as I love seeing Tweedy solo, I have never been moved in such a way as I did at those two Jay shows.

But then Terroir Blues came out and I coulndt beleive what I was hearing...I gave it a couple of listens and with the exception of Dent County, couldnt stand to take any more of it... A short time after that Jay toured with Canyon and I thought to myself "what the hell is he doing." I remember telling a friend how bad they were. Horrible musicians... The lone exception being the drummer, who would later join Son Volt full time...A couple years passed along and Jay released more crap. Third shift Grotto slack and that Live album with Canyon... I was about ready to give up on Jay.

Then in early 2004 (i think), a friend called to say that Son Volt was getting back together as the original line-up. They were going to be recording a song for a tribute album for Alejandro Escovedo and then get back in the studio to start recording... WOW!!!!! I was shocked... I thought that maybe Jay had finally woken up and realized that his career was not going down the path that he had intended...Hey we all make mistakes, right? Man I couldnt have been happier.

A few week later I find out that the Boquists are considering legal action against Jay and that the comeback is no more...WTF!!! The new Son Volt would now be comprised of Jay, two Canyon band member, Andrew Duplantis (the one bright spot) and I believe Brad Rice on lead guitar... I was so pissed that Jay had the audacity to call this make-shift line-up Son Volt... The only band member I was familar with was Duplanits, and I had personally known Brad Rice from his time with Ryan Adams and I knew that he was a solid player but he was strictly a session player...He wouldnt be a permanent member of this outfit (sure enough Brad would later leave Jay to join Keith Urban).

I made the trip down to Austin for SXSW for the new Son Volt's debut show... Enough time had passed that I was at least willing to give Jay another chance... They certianly didnt dissapoint... Granted there was no fiddle, dobro, or pedal steel this show, but it still rocked out like Son Volt nonetheless. Hell Wilco certianly had their fair share of cast member changes, and I still loved them just the same... It certianly beat the hell out of Jay and Canyon thats for damn sure.

So a little bit later Okema and the Melody of Riot comes out...While my first reaction was not nearly that of Terrior Blues, I still was dissapointed... Songs like Jet Pilot, Ipecac, Endless War, Chaos Streams and Medication quickly found the fast forward button on my cd changer... Not the first effort I had expecte... However when Son Volt toured behind this album they put up some of the best setlists money could buy... Back Into Your World, Loose String, Drown, Carraytid Easy, Picking up the Signal, Route, and the show closer Chickamauga was certianly worth the price of admission. Yes it wasnt Mike Heidorn and the Boqusits behind him but it rocked out nonetheless.

Jay would later go thru guitarists during that tour like most people change their socks. It was almost embarrasing to hear that certain players couldnt perform due to "prior obligations". Your playing with Son Volt for chist sakes, their should not be prior obligations. Finally Jay found Chirs Masterson, and with that he found an absolute gem. Though he didnt play on the Search (better than Okema but still a dust gatherer in my collection) he made some of the Search songs that were unbearable to listen to on the ablum, with their backword guitar loops (Brad Rice's going away present to Jay was to shit on his album production) shine live. Outside of Dave Boquist, he couldnt have found a better guitar player to work with.

Jay finally dumped the keyboard player (though Derry will tell you that he left on his own to play with Jason Isbell). Either way that was a huge plus in my book. Jay brought on Mark Spencer and apparently has him playing pedal steel on the new album.... There are two absolute gems on this new record called Dynamite and Dust of Daylight... The latter of which will probably go down as being just as good as anything he has ever recorded.... I hear there is filddle on the record as well.... Steel guitar, fiddle, what the fuck more could you ask for... Maybe a few Trace like rockers and we might have the best new alubm since, dare I day it the second time in the same sentence, Trace!

Anyway, needless to say I am stoked to hear this new record. I have really come to enjoy the new Son Volt and unlike Wilco (dare I say it) if the pattern holds, each album looks to be better than the previous... As a music fan. what more can you ask for?

nice post here. i've been hot and cold with jay over the years, but as i said in an earlier post, jay has emerged as one of my top 3. it really did take jay a few years to get son volt back together. okemah and the search are excellent, but different. i loved terroir blues, but hated the tour with canyon. jesus, that band sucked ass. keyboards were terrible and i'm glad that dude left son volt. now he's cheesing up jason isbell's sets. i really want to warm up to stone steel at some point thought.

yeah, i think son volt is not as good without the boquist brothers.

gob iron was really cool though, a good break from the "new" less interesting son volt. in my opinion, of course.

• 2 weeks later...
New album will be called "American Central Dust." Due out July 7th.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2009...volts-dust.html

i wish the new album was called 'american dream dust'...

anyway, how about a new game. make up the son volt song. take to random words and connect the with '&'

here's a few

Boots & Bastards

Concrete & Masturbation

Tires & Turniquits

i could go on..