• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bluegrass remake of mr. roboto

can't wait

I think they have or had several rock bands on their label - even George Thorogood. I have also read that Rounder is also going to be the new home of Rush.

This is a damn fine album. The best Son Volt since Jay re-ignited the band and crucially, the band sound like a band and not a bunch of session musicians. Great fiddle, steel and keyboards and I love the arcane references too such as The Sultana. This one will surely get more airtime in my house than Okemah or SBS. It is competing for major airtime with the Phoenix album.

This is a damn fine album. The best Son Volt since Jay re-ignited the band and crucially, the band sound like a band and not a bunch of session musicians. Great fiddle, steel and keyboards and I love the arcane references too such as The Sultana. This one will surely get more airtime in my house than Okemah or SBS. It is competing for major airtime with the Phoenix album.

Yeah, this one is sounding really good right from the start and I have not even really paid attention to the lyrics at all. Musically it sounds really good.

Brilliant album! Sorry to say fellow Wilco fans, but I think Tweedy and Co. may have their work cut out for them. Jeff's been getting all the love from the press since Being There but I dont think that will be the case this time around.

Critics will hail the new Son Volt album and began asking if maybe the tables have finally turned?

Brilliant album! Sorry to say fellow Wilco fans, but I think Tweedy and Co. may have their work cut out for them. Jeff's been getting all the love from the press since Being There but I dont think that will be the case this time around.

Critics will hail the new Son Volt album and began asking if maybe the tables have finally turned?

I think that's a stretch at the moment, but if Son Volt continues to impress then perhaps so.

I think that's a stretch at the moment, but if Son Volt continues to impress then perhaps so.

Just my prediction. A lot of thats based on the somewhat lukewarm reception the new Wilco album seems to be getting around here. Somebody on the sonvolt board made a couple of good points.

1. Son Volt is now with Rounder Records- they will do a much better job marketing the album then their previous record label.

2. The Son Volt album is due out one week after the Wilco record... Jay already has to see Jeff's name mentioned in nearly every article written about him. Music critics are likely to do play the "pissing contest" card and use Jay the "underdog" as having finally gotten the monkey off his back by finally making an album that blows Wilco out of the water.

It really does make sense if you think about it. The irony is that while Jay has never been one to care about commercial success, this album has the potential to garner that recognition. While Jay doesnt have the name recognition of Robert Plant, whose duet with Allison Krauss (also on Rounder Records) was a huge commercial success last year, he too could find himself a Grammy nominee for this release.

Hopefully we can leave this fictitious battle to the "critics" and "media." Both are welcome at my table anytime.

I'm actually looking more forward to the new Son Volt than I am for the new Wilco. Not sure why. Jay and company did play some new stuff when I saw them back in February and I dug it very much.

Dynamite

When the levee goes the heart breaks away

The mind holds back

Just loose dirt in pouring rain

The truth is not free

And everyone must pay the price

There were diamonds

There was gold in your eyes

Now just silence and broken words on the side

The journey is never done and the way is long

This love is like celebrating

4th of July with dynamite

4th of July with dynamite

There is no right way

Only the way that keeps your mind free

Every moment to count

In the living judgment day

Life to live shall not be a burden

Carried on shoulders, the long mystic trial

Dreams leave the dust

No blues are coming down this time

Down to the Wire

Wake up to the Biddle Street blues

Can

Enough about Son Volt, when are we going to see a new Drams album, Brent???

see, i heard the new son volt, and i really think that the critics are gonna bash this one.

not like critics matter and shit, but you know. i think that wilco won already.

see, i heard the new son volt, and i really think that the critics are gonna bash this one.

not like critics matter and shit, but you know. i think that wilco won already.

Is there some sort of competition?