• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn it cortez. i got excited to see you posted in this thread. i thought you would have a bunch of son volt titles :mellow
Almost seems cliche. Nevertheless, I'm pretty pumped to hear this.
Where are the sucky ones?
Nope. I think everything Jay has released or been involved with is top-notch.
There's some stuff that comes off as a bit strange at first with some of his records, but after a few listens what was once so strange, doesn't seem so strange anymore. If that makes any sense at all.
Paralysis by analysis. The Search is a completely different chapter and should be approached as such. It's a great fucking album.
Masterson is a fucking beast!

Rider, forgive me for I've been shy.

I'm kind of bummed Son Volt is coming in a double bill with Cowboy Junkies. I don't have a problem with Cowboy Junkies but they don't excite me that much. I would rather just have Son Volt Headline.

I'm kind of bummed Son Volt is coming in a double bill with Cowboy Junkies. I don't have a problem with Cowboy Junkies but they don't excite me that much. I would rather just have Son Volt Headline.

it would be fun to see them i guess. i just can't get into them. the idea of them is interesting, but the actual product is just so dull to me.

Rider, forgive me for I've been shy.

i didn't mean you hadn't participated much in this thread :) in fact, your comments about the search prompted me to give it another try. thanks! i was just hoping you would play the son volt song title game :dancing

peace brother!

The new one is out there

Just giving it a listen, and already liking the first song more than the last two records. Feels like a throw back to Trace-Straighaways sounds, but that's only half way through the first song :)

Edit- Ok half way through and that opinion holds, so if you are an old Son Volt fan and have been turned off by his recent stuff (I like the solo records, but understand why others didn't) this might be the record you should check out

It's like the first two albums in that it's a stripped-down, straightforward record. No reverse guitar loops. No electric sitars. No horns either. Much less experimental than stuff like The Search, Terroir Blues, and Sebastopol. I think Jay's voice sounds great. I like the balance of more mellow country-influenced songs and some Crazy Horse-styled rockers. Some more great songwriting from Jay. Less preachy than The Search was. Making some more historical references - "Sultana." Jay's "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"? The fiddle returns. Some killer splashes of pedal steel. It's got that Trace swing to it. Some musings on pop culture today which become deeper tales of hard living and regret - "Cocaine & Ashes." I have listened 3 1/4 times so far, and I fucking love this album.

I heard the song Cocaine And Ashes the other day. Jay better hope that Keith does not come after him with his big knife.

I read that he references Keith in the song, is it a negative reference? I have not heard it.

It's the story about Keith saying that he snorted his dead father's ashes. He then later said that he was making that up. I suppose I was just thinking of all those Keith interviews where he threatens people, and talks about carrying a knife in his boot.

It's the story about Keith saying that he snorted his dead father's ashes. He then later said that he was making that up. I suppose I was just thinking of all those Keith interviews where he threatens people, and talks about carrying a knife in his boot.

I always loved those interviews. Especially when I was a young kid reading them. Now I find those interviews funny, but back than I guess I thought he was like a junkie pirate. Seems like a odd theme for a song, but I am looking forward to hearing it.

Dial up?

no, dsl and i'm not a member of any of the special places.

so far i am really loving this. it's def gonna be a grower lots of texture to enjoy on repeated listens. i love the cover too. can't seem to upload it here though.

wasn't that nickle creek's label?

just snagged this. gonna listen in a bit

I'm not sure if Nickel Creek is on Rounder, but their roster includes a who's who of American roots music; bluegrass (signed Allison Krauss as a fiddle player at 14), zydeco and Celtic. They have been around since 1970.

Nice marriage, Son Volt and Rounder, methinks.