• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Billboard.com article link

Son Volt Returns With New Album, Label

Son Volt brings "American Central Dust" to Rounder Records.

April 06, 2009 11:47 AM ET

David J. Prince, N.Y.

Son Volt, the Americana-inspired rock group fronted by Jay Farrar, returns this summer with a new album and new label. "American Central Dust," the band's sixth full-length and its first since signing with Rounder Records, will be released on July 7.

"Rounder has shown a long term commitment to music forms, like folk and blues, that I have a lot of respect for," said Farrar. "Going with Rounder has been a kind of a full circle continuum -- the first Rounder person I met with was instrumental in booking Uncle Tupelo gigs years ago."

Son Volt's last album, 2007's "The Search," saw the band diversifying its musical palette to include ore electric atmospheres, horns and pedal loops. "American Central Dust" see the group returning to the melodic simplicity of its debut album "Trace."

The album features Farrar on guitar, harmonica, and vocals; Dave Bryson on drums; Andrew Duplantis on bass and backing vocals; Chris Masterson on lead guitar; and Mark Spencer on keyboards and steel guitar.

Son Volt will being a national tour in July.

Son Volt's "American Central Dust" tracklist:

"Dynamite"

"Down To The Wire"

"Roll On"

"Cocaine And Ashes"

"Dust Of Daylight"

"When The Wheels Don't Move"

"No Turning Back"

"Pushed Too Far"

"Exiles"

"Sultana"

"Strength And Doubt"

"Jukebox of Steel"

Another one to add to this year's list...

farrar never disappoints. this sounds like it's going to be another classic. i've been doing a lot of soul searching musically as of late and tweedy and farrar are really all i need. two of the greatest song writers of the last 2 decades.

farrar never disappoints. this sounds like it's going to be another classic. i've been doing a lot of soul searching musically as of late and tweedy and farrar are really all i need. two of the greatest song writers of the last 2 decades.

nice post rider. :)

I'm also looking forward to hearing this. Glad the title is revealed ... "American Central Dust"

Now we just need Wilco's new album title!

What exciting new releases await us fans! :music

Where are the sucky ones?

I'm half-joking. But must I always have to pull out a dictionary or encyclopedia when I read his newest record title?

What IS a Thrid shift grotto slack?

Do people get blues about geographical terrain?

What big event happened in the little-known Ukraine city?

Is he referencing the Oklahoma city or the Indian chief the city was named for? Did you know the word means "things up high"? Interesting.

Anyone want to explain what Amercian Central Dust might mean?

I mean, who the hell knows why Pavement named an album "Brighten the Corners", but I'm OK with it. The Eels named a record "Daisies of the Galaxies". Wierd, sure. But I can get a feeling or images in my head.....I understand the words.

Many of Farrar's titles just make me scratch my head.

I'm half-joking. But must I always have to pull out a dictionary or encyclopedia when I read his newest record title?

Is he referencing the Oklahoma city or the Indian chief the city was named for? Did you know the word means "things up high"? Interesting.

I mean, who the hell knows why Pavement named an album "Brighten the Corners", but I'm OK with it. The Eels named a record "Daisies of the Galaxies". Wierd, sure. But I can get a feeling or images in my head.....I understand the words.

I think you're on to something. Jay is guilt of something I myself have been accused of: using his vocabulary in a way that points out what a good vocabulary he has. Some people it pretentious.

B. Terroir Blues

I HATE the backwards tracking stuff "space noise" or whatever he calls it between songs on that album.

I mean....WTF IS that anyways? Was that his arty response to YHF or something?

Makes it tough to throw it on the player. Otherwise, its an ok album.

I HATE the backwards tracking stuff "space noise" or whatever he calls it between songs on that album.

Makes it tough to throw it on the player. Otherwise, its an ok album.

I agree. Mostly a very good album. But the space noises are way too much for me. Dent County is beautiful.

trace does leave the bar set pretty high. but space junk really isn't on the list of songs you're gonna yell out for an encore....... Chicamunga, yeah........

Ha ha! It would be hilarious if someone yelled out "SPACEJUNK" and then Jay played it.

Sebastopol refers to the city in California, not Ukraine, I believe.

Okamah, OK is where Woodie Guthrie is from.