• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is pretty great, but honestly after 2 listens i probably still prefer Okemah by a little bit (i prefer a bit rockier Son Volt than most)... def way way better than The Search however

this is pretty great, but honestly after 2 listens i probably still prefer Okemah by a little bit (i prefer a bit rockier Son Volt than most)... def way way better than The Search however

well, i LOVED the search, so i am very interested in hearing the new one!

I know it's the minority opinion but I agree with you on the rockier stuff, Okemah is actually my favorite.

Yeah I still think Okemah is a touch better than this overall. But this might havea stronger set of around 3-4 songs.

Bandages and Scars is IMHO classic Son Volt.

yup.

even though I was really really bummed with what all went down with the Boquist bros. and the lineup bait and switch, that record def sounded like a man re-energized.

I know it's the minority opinion but I agree with you on the rockier stuff, Okemah is actually my favorite.

Count me in, too. I love Trace, but Okemah gets more spins. I didn't care for The Search at all...

There isn't a bad album in the Volt catalog. How I see it (calm down Rider):

Trace

Straightaways

The Search

Okemah and the Melody of Riot

Wide Swing Tremolo

Want to spend a little more time with American Central Dust before I place it. However, at this stage it's definitely in the top 3.

There isn't a bad album in the Volt catalog. How I see it (calm down Rider):

Trace

Straightaways

The Search

Okemah and the Melody of Riot

Wide Swing Tremelo

Want to spend a little more time with American Central Dust before I place it. However, at this stage it's definitely in the top 3.

completely agree. The Search was a bit meandering but had some extremely solid songs on it. Methamphetamine has to be in my top 3 Jay songs. Straightaways had a couple of snoozers on it but otherwise great. Wide Swing Tremelo doesn't get enough credit.

Trace *****

Straightaways ****

American Central Dust ****

Wide Swing Tremolo ***

The Search ***

Okemah **

There are probably half a dozen albums I would give 5 stars, and Trace is one of them.

You guys may disagree... In fact I think it's great that so many of you guys love his last two albums!

would just like to say i freaking love the crap out of son volt

and possibly the only band ever whose studio stuff i prefer to live shows

Funny you should say that, because The Search really clicked with me wheh I saw them in the Spring of 2007 with Jason Isbell opening.

Brilliant album! Sorry to say fellow Wilco fans, but I think Tweedy and Co. may have their work cut out for them. Jeff's been getting all the love from the press since Being There but I dont think that will be the case this time around.

Critics will hail the new Son Volt album and began asking if maybe the tables have finally turned?

thats what i meant, sorry for the late reply.

but yeah, i like the first three a lot, and i liked the gob iron thing.

is that soundtrack any good or is it just previously released album tracks?

It pretty good. There's some previously released material mixed with some Farrar originals. The music is not exclusively Jay's. Ryan Adams, Vic Chestnutt, Freakwater, Neko Case, Blood Oranges, and other contribute to it.

It pretty good. There's some previously released material mixed with some Farrar originals. The music is not exclusively Jay's. Ryan Adams, Vic Chestnutt, Freakwater, Neko Case, Blood Oranges, and other contribute to it.

i guess blood oranges are mark spencer's old band?

worth looking into them?

Get it if for no other reason than to hear Jay cover Gram Parson's "Blue Eyes"!

I agree. 'Blue Eyes' is stellar but it's Uncle Tupelo. They covered it alot. 'Gather' from the soundtrack is an excellent Jay tune. A killer version of it is on 'Live In Seattle' which is Jay with Mark Spencer and Eric Heywood. I highly recommend "Live In Seattle'. Excellent versions of fantastic songs.