R.E.M. - ACCELERATE

Interesting stuff. I've seen them live 4 times on 3 different tours, including their last one (at the Greek in Berkeley in Nov 2004).

I pretty much listen to their first 5 albums and then scattered stuff after. REM will always be my #1 band, so I am not objective at all. But their recent stuff has been boring which is the worst sin a band can commit in my mind. Personally, I think Michael Stipe's ego destroyed this band. Maybe they can regain some of that rocker mentality - looking forward to the tour.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This band would be infinitely better if Bill Berry decided he didn't want to be a peanut farmer anymore.

Agreed. Seems to me that he may have served as the editor for the band. I know that a lot of people don't like Out Of Time, Monster, or any of the post IRS releases but I think they were pretty consistent until Bill left the band after New Adventures.

Personally, I think Michael Stipe's ego destroyed this band. Maybe they can regain some of that rocker mentality - looking forward to the tour.

I'm right there with you. I've seen them three times, and will no doubt ante up for this next tour as well. One could also argue the point that the astronomical deal that Warner Bros. showered REM wit after "Out of Time" has contributed to laziness, or some kind of complacency where they simply put out mediocre records, simply to fulfill their contractual obligations.

kevin

I'm right there with you. I've seen them three times, and will no doubt ante up for this next tour as well. One could also argue the point that the astronomical deal that Warner Bros. showered REM wit after "Out of Time" has contributed to laziness, or some kind of complacency where they simply put out mediocre records, simply to fulfill their contractual obligations.

kevin

I agree.

Other than a little album called Automatic for the People (which is my favorite by R.E.M.) I think the IRS albums are almost entirely better than the Warner Bros albums.

I've seen one of the Dublin shows live, but was a bit underwhelmed by the new stuff to be honest. The only song that stood out for me back then was "Mr. Richards".

But I am still holding my judgement until I can hear the entire new record. I am not listening to any of the pre-pre-pre-releases, as they still only give a somewhat disturbed picture, whilst I want the whole picture to be able to judge properly and fair.

I'd wish for a new "UP", as that IMHO is their most underrated record ever, but then I would also be glad about something like NAIHF. I think all of their records had their unique atmosphere and relevance, just some of them are capable of being listened to longer than other ones are.

Apart from that, I am sick of hearing "we want Bill Berry back", just as if he would be the saviour of the universe. He was a good songwriter and a decent drummer and decided voluntarily that he didn't want to be part of the band anymore, more than a decade ago. Get over it people. It is a disgrace and an insult to fantastic Bill Rieflin to pine for someone who doesn't want to be pined for.

New Adventures In Hi-Fi is one of the best albums in the REM catalogue.

That is all.

It's decent. I'd still rank Automatic, Murmur, Reckoning, Life's Rich Pageant, and Document over it though.

granted to me, all of the IRS albums are flawless, save maybe Fables.

It's decent. I'd still rank Automatic, Murmur, Reckoning, Life's Rich Pageant, and Document over it though.

granted to me, all of the IRS albums are flawless, save maybe Fables.

My Top 5 are:

1. Automatic

2. Document

3. New Adventures

4. Murmur

5. Life's Rich Pageant

Hopefully they plug the guitars in this time around and stop trying so hard to be relevant -- they're their best when they just go and make music with no particular purpose other than to make music (which is why I like New Adventures so much).

for me

Murmur

Automatic

Reckoning

Life's Rich Pageant

Document

Yes I realized I said that Automatic was my #1, but I changed my mind. It's tough. Automatic to me is more of a big statement album, where as Murmur is more of an every song kicks ass album. Both are among my top 20 of all time.

Hi Donna! :wave

In a story too boring to tell here, I was recently reminded of the REM/Wilco shows at Red Rocks in '03. I can't believe that was more than 4 years ago.

I miss you... :cheekkiss

Oh, same here, for sure! We need another concert get-together, soon. :cheekkiss

Damn, we had such fun at those shows, despite nearly freezing to death!