The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually wrong - I don't have that one - for some odd reason, I get that confused with Hundred Year Hall from time to time.

That's a good one, too. Wish it was longer. Isn't that just the first set of the show?

That's a good one, too. Wish it was longer. Isn't that just the first set of the show?

It's a mix of the first and second sets.

I've got the rest of the show which has comparably very nice versions of "Two Souls in Communion," "He's Gone," "You Win Again," and "Mr. Charlie," (to name just a few).

Band Grateful Dead

Venue Jahrhunderthalle

Location Frankfurt, West Germany

Date 4/26/72 - Wednesday posters tickets, passes & laminates

One Bertha [5:41] ; Me And My Uncle [3:05] ; Mr. Charlie [03:41] ; He's Gone [07:33] ; Black Throated Wind [06:06] ; Next Time You See Me [4:15] ; China Cat Sunflower [5:14] > I Know You Rider [5:14] ; Jack Straw [4:47] ; Big Railroad Blues [3:54] ; Playing In The Band [9:17] ; Chinatown Shuffle [02:34] ; Loser [06:28] ; Beat It On Down The Line [03:04] ; You Win Again [03:21] ; Good Lovin' [12:05] ; Dire Wolf [04:08] ; Casey Jones [05:45]

Two Truckin' [17:45] > The Other One [36:29] > Comes A Time [6:45] > Sugar Magnolia [7:23] ; El Paso [04:47] ; Tennessee Jed [07:29] ; Greatest Story Ever Told [05:19] ; The Stranger (Two Souls In Communion) [06:45] ; Turn On Your Lovelight [19:13] > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [7:32] > One More Saturday Night [5:44]

Comments About 2/3s of the show are available on the officially released CD Hundred Year Hall. The rest of the material is now circulating as Hundred Year Hall Outtakes.

Recordings 130 SBD-CD, 90 SBD (10/99)

Master recording source(s): 14inch 16trk Master Reels@15ips

Was the Europe '72 Tour the best GD tour ever? Sometimes I think so, even though I'm really partial to Fall '73 and Summer '74. Anyway, every effort should be made to acquire as much of Europe as possible - Billy the K never sounded better.

So I have an embarrassing confession to make regarding my previous comments about the Road Trip set.

When the CDs arrived in the mail, I was in a hurry and quickly ripped them to high-bitrate mp3 via iTunes--not realizing that (1) these are HDCDs and (2) iTunes, although it can read and rip it, does not handle this format well. Ah, the dangers of the digital world. The resulting mp3s sounded very odd. Everything sounded clear enough, but the vocals and keyboards were way up front, the bass and drums were kind of in the background, and the guitars somewhere in the middle. I kept wondering who the hell mixed this thing and why they would commercially release something like this. :lol

Yesterday I popped the actual CD into a player to give it another listen and it was a minor revelation. This still might not be my favorite era of GD, but it is a MUCH more enjoyable collection than I originally gave it credit for. God, I feel like an idiot. :blush I think this is the first HDCD I have purchased--I never even noticed that's what it was.

So......I guess the question is, can HDCDs be effectively ripped to mp3 for portability? I imagine there will be a larger-than-normal dropoff in sound quality, but does other software do a better job of reproducing the overall sound of it? I'm not really interested in getting into a sound quality debate, I'm just curious about this.

we were all probably at a lot shows together without knowing it

Anyone remember seeing this sticker?

HairyJerrySm.jpg

So I have an embarrassing confession to make regarding my previous comments about the Road Trip set.

When the CDs arrived in the mail, I was in a hurry and quickly ripped them to high-bitrate mp3 via iTunes--not realizing that (1) these are HDCDs and (2) iTunes, although it can read and rip it, does not handle this format well. Ah, the dangers of the digital world. The resulting mp3s sounded very odd. Everything sounded clear enough, but the vocals and keyboards were way up front, the bass and drums were kind of in the background, and the guitars somewhere in the middle. I kept wondering who the hell mixed this thing and why they would commercially release something like this. :lol

Yesterday I popped the actual CD into a player to give it another listen and it was a minor revelation. This still might not be my favorite era of GD, but it is a MUCH more enjoyable collection than I originally gave it credit for. God, I feel like an idiot. :blush I think this is the first HDCD I have purchased--I never even noticed that's what it was.

So......I guess the question is, can HDCDs be effectively ripped to mp3 for portability? I imagine there will be a larger-than-normal dropoff in sound quality, but does other software do a better job of reproducing the overall sound of it? I'm not really interested in getting into a sound quality debate, I'm just curious about this.

Anytime you rip anything into Mp3 it is going to sound different - you know the story.

Maybe some answers here - maybe not.

I don't have an answer for your question, q23, as I was not aware of HDCD. However, your tale reminds me of a cd a buddy gave me a few years ago of Ryan Adams and Phil playing in his bar for an impromptu, spur-of-the-moment gig (about and hour +).

I couldn't figure out why every time I'd go to play it no sound would come out. I chalked it up to him forgetting to actually burn it. Unitl about 6 mo. later he asked how I liked the "footage" and I figured out it was a dvd.

Anyone remember seeing this sticker?

I don't recall it from memory but it's fantastic. Looks like your work. Do you still sell 'em? I'd like a few.

Yeah, I'm still wading through the google searches, trying to find an answer that makes sense to me. A lot of the forum posts I see are from 2002 or 2003, when the HDCD technology was a new thing. Certainly things have changed since then. From what I have seen so far, iTunes is capable of reading the files, but does not "handle them well", for whatever reasons. The best description I can give of the output is that it sounds like there were channels missing. My first impression upon hearing the resulting mp3s was "Where's Phil??" He's there, but very quiet. Same with the drums--they are there, but buried in the mix. And then the keyboards are entirely too loud. All in all, its kind of a fun experiment just to see what happens to the music. (not fun to listen to, but interesting)

Of course when you convert anything to mp3 it will sound different, but just usually not in this way. This is a new one for me. :lol

Yeah, I'm still wading through the google searches, trying to find an answer that makes sense to me. A lot of the forum posts I see are from 2002 or 2003, when the HDCD technology was a new thing. Certainly things have changed since then. From what I have seen so far, iTunes is capable of reading the files, but does not "handle them well", for whatever reasons. The best description I can give of the output is that it sounds like there were channels missing. My first impression upon hearing the resulting mp3s was "Where's Phil??" He's there, but very quiet. Same with the drums--they are there, but buried in the mix. And then the keyboards are entirely too loud. All in all, its kind of a fun experiment just to see what happens to the music. (not fun to listen to, but interesting)

Of course when you convert anything to mp3 it will sound different, but just usually not in this way. This is a new one for me. :lol

Question - can you not buy the tracks from iTunes directly? I don't know shit about iTunes - so I am not sure if they are releasing stuff that way or not.

Good question. I don't have access to iTunes at the moment and so can't really answer it. I thought I had read, however, that it was available only through dead.net...which didn't offer downloadable version.

I have that sticker prominently displayed in a collection of stickers I bought on lots while on tour over the years. Its a beauty, one of my favorites. Did you make it?

I see his name on the left with a 2001 c. on it. Also a "He's Gone" line. Nice work.

Thanks. I drew it as a t-shirt design in 87 or 88, and fleshed it out for the round sticker around '90. Me and a bunch of friends printed up several bunches of them over the next few years and rarely had to pay for burritos, beers or falafels, and 3a.m. grilled cheeseses. Submitted it to the Dead's people, but they said they were more into cute dancing bears snow skiing at the time. And I wasn't, so...

I've only printed them once since Jerry died. I've got maybe a dozen or so left. Lammy, I won't sell them to you, but if you wanted to trade some music you like, that would be cool. I've gotten so busy with art and kids I've lost my memberships at torrent sites due to inactivity. :(

I was just wondering if I talked to any of you guys on tour, as I got to meet a lot of people through my art that way. And see a lot of great shows. :cheers

Johnny, when you have the time sometime you should tell your Furthur Bus story here. It's a good one and deserves to be told imo.

Thanks. I drew it as a t-shirt design in 87 or 88, and fleshed it out for the round sticker around '90. Me and a bunch of friends printed up several bunches of them over the next few years and rarely had to pay for burritos, beers or falafels, and 3a.m. grilled cheeseses. Submitted it to the Dead's people, but they said they were more into cute dancing bears snow skiing at the time. And I wasn't, so...

I've only printed them once since Jerry died. I've got maybe a dozen or so left. Lammy, I won't sell them to you, but if you wanted to trade some music you like, that would be cool. I've gotten so busy with art and kids I've lost my memberships at torrent sites due to inactivity. :(

I was just wondering if I talked to any of you guys on tour, as I got to meet a lot of people through my art that way. And see a lot of great shows. :cheers

This sounds like a great barter. Let me know what you're looking for and I'd be happen to send some stuff.

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of us have bumped into/had conversations with/shared a tale in a bathroom line/goofed on a situation/etc. together at some point....

Yeah, that'd be cool if I bought it from you. All my shows were in the Midwest except one at Foxboro, MA, 87 thru 95.

Back then, I worked at a road construction company, that had a side business of producing road signs. I made a lot of street signs like 'Golden Road' or 'Dead Highway' and whatnot to bring and trade for other goods. They went pretty fast too. I actually got busted by GD Productions at Alpine, who took a bunch of my stock because I wasnt licensed to sell or didnt have copyright authority or something like that.

Ok, now I have the memory juices flowing........in 88, I was sitting in the shade on the side of the lot at Alpine-it was super hot that day-and what do I see? One of my professors (I had recently finished his course about Hitler and the mother complex that drove him in his attempt to conquor the world) strolling thru the masses, who then stopped and purchased something from a wookie...and then proceeded to pop it on his tongue.....heh heh....even the higher minds like their mind high on occasion, eh?

Yeah, that'd be cool if I bought it from you. All my shows were in the Midwest except one at Foxboro, MA, 87 thru 95.

Back then, I worked at a road construction company, that had a side business of producing road signs. I made a lot of street signs like 'Golden Road' or 'Dead Highway' and whatnot to bring and trade for other goods. They went pretty fast too. I actually got busted by GD Productions at Alpine, who took a bunch of my stock because I wasnt licensed to sell or didnt have copyright authority or something like that.

Ok, now I have the memory juices flowing........in 88, I was sitting in the shade on the side of the lot at Alpine-it was super hot that day-and what do I see? One of my professors (I had recently finished his course about Hitler and the mother complex that drove him in his attempt to conquor the world) strolling thru the masses, who then stopped and purchased something from a wookie...and then proceeded to pop it on his tongue.....heh heh....even the higher minds like their mind high on occasion, eh?

:lol Great story Paul B.

I have some really great photos from Alpine '88 (from the lot) - if I can get my kid to use her scanner sometime I'll post 'em up here.