The Grateful Dead

:lol Great story Paul B.

I have some really great photos from Alpine '88 (from the lot) - if I can get my kid to use her scanner sometime I'll post 'em up here.

See if you can follow this:

I met up with some dudes at the '88 Alpine shows (I'd never met them before) and they were staying at a really nice place by a lake about 15 min. or so outside the venue. They let me shower and swim and hang out with comped drinks and other comped things for the day off between shows. Super nice guys.

Turns out they were great friends with a chick I went to college with (I didn't find this out until 3 mo. later when I started dating her and she recognized me from a photo one of the dudes took of me).

I dated that girl for 7 years. We went to the one of the guy's wedding in NY a year or so after the Alpine show. Turns out that that fellow died in a car accident on his anniversary a year later. His widow re-married a guy who is brothers with my wife's ex-long-term boyfriend.

What a tangled web we weave....

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me & My Uncle (John Phillips)

Judy Collins 1964

"The Judy Collins Concert Album" (Elektra EKS-7280)

Recorded March 21, 1964, NYC.

Danny Cox

Grateful Dead 1971

"Grateful Dead" (Warner Brothers 1935-2)

1991 this week -

Be sure to check in next week when we
1991 this week -

You might be able to pull a show from '92-'95 that would be a convincing argument that the Dead still had it (6/28/92 comes to mind immediately), but for my money, '91 is the last year where things were pretty consistently good - no small part due to Bruce being there most of the time.

I remember how excited I was to see a grand piano onstage for the first time ( never saw Kieth and Donna..sigh..). The shit was real real good - so much so that I ended up going WAY past where I had planned to go on the Summer '91 tour. Those little sub-groupings pre-and-post-space ( Bruce, Bobby and Phil - Bruce, Vince and Jerry etc.) had some pretty jaw-dropping improvs on occasion. Of course that was all gone by the end of the year. :ohwell

Just listening to the Jerry and John Kahn at Oregon State Prison, anyone know the story behind that? Did they just do the Johnny Cash book a gig at a Prison, or where they incarcerated?

johnny cash thing. sounds like a really small room though.

craig

New at Wolfgang's Vault:

Fillmore East

New York, NY

04/26/1971

Set 1

Jerry Garcia - lead guitar, vocals

"Pigpen" McKernan - vocals, organ, percussion

Bob Weir - guitar, vocals

Phil Lesh - bass, vocals

Bill Kreutzmann - drums

This is the first set on the second night of the Dead and New Riders of the Purple Sage

So many great memories of so many shows. My span of seeing shows what late 70s to mid 90s. Near the end the wheels were falling off, but every once in a while, on a pretty summer night, in an outdoor venue, Jerrys voice and guitar would ring out so sweetly that it was magic. There are many great artists but Jerry was special. Someone said he had a heart of music.

I cried when he died and I miss him to this day.

So many great memories of so many shows. My span of seeing shows what late 70s to mid 90s. Near the end the wheels were falling off, but every once in a while, on a pretty summer night, in an outdoor venue, Jerrys voice and guitar would ring out so sweetly that it was magic. There are many great artists but Jerry was special. Someone said he had a heart of music.

I cried when he died and I miss him to this day.

Welcome to the board seeyatonite. :cheers Looking forward to your observations around here in regards to the Greatest Band That Ever Was. :thumbup

What's the scoop on the Duane show? You know, some years ago, that dude that works for The Allman Brothers (Kirk?) said in an interview that there was going to be a Duane boxset and that the show he sat in with the Dead would be on it.

ABB Announces Dates For May Mishegas

As we reported last week, the slightly-delayed but much-anticipated Allman Brothers Band shows will indeed take place at New York's Beacon Theater in 2008. The group has confirmed fifteen dates from May 5th through the 24th. The group will perform five days a week during this stretch, taking off Wednesday and Sundays. The complete list of performances (thus far) are: May 5,6, 8-10, 12,13, 15-17, 19, 20 and 22-24, with tickets set to go on sale Saturday February 9th.

What's the scoop on the Duane show? You know, some years ago, that dude that works for The Allman Brothers (Kirk?) said in an interview that there was going to be a Duane boxset and that the show he sat in with the Dead would be on it.

Fillmore East 2-11-70; Duane, Gregg, and Peter Green. Dark Star-> Spanish jam-> Lovelight. Pretty smokin', as you know.

The available stuff I have is pretty decent sound. I'd love to hear an "official" release, though.

Oh, I have a _______________ all the dead shows I want to hear. Plus, it's up there - as you said. Hopefully, Wilco will get their shit together and all allow us to put shows up at that place eventually.

Fillmore East 2-11-70; Duane, Gregg, and Peter Green. Dark Star-> Spanish jam-> Lovelight. Pretty smokin', as you know.

The available stuff I have is pretty decent sound. I'd love to hear an "official" release, though.

I was thinking Aman meant the 4/26/71 show. I think there was something in the liner notes for "Ladies and Gentlemen" that talked about this. I'll look it up.

I was thinking Aman meant the 4/26/71 show. I think there was something in the liner notes for "Ladies and Gentlemen" that talked about this. I'll look it up.

Yeah, I think that was just Duane sitting in on Sugar Mags, Hurts Me Too and another tune slipping my mind.

Yeah, I think that was just Duane sitting in on Sugar Mags, Hurts Me Too and another tune slipping my mind.

BIODTL. I do have that on k-sette. I was thinking that those tunes were a possibility for the Ladies and Gentlemen set but there were some legal ramifications with Duane's estate. I will see if I can locate the info.

Maybe they are still going to put it out - I think it is in an old Hittin' The Note that I have where that dude talks about a Duane boxset and archival releases - they have put a few of those out since then.

I would definitely love to hear that set with Duane sitting in. :yes

Off topic, but I wish the Allmans would put out a few more archive recordings. A few have started to trickle out (I particularly like that Stony Brook one from a month or so before Duane died), but there has got to be a ton of great stuff somewhere out there. Maybe its hard to package/market some of it because I've heard a few boots from '71 and they all have a pretty much identical setlist to the Live at the Fillmore album--guess they weren't too into mixing up the setlists--but, hey, all Duane is good Duane to me. :thumbup Hearing him trading licks with Jerry would be fun.

The motherfucking grateful dead are reuniting monday and not even a mumble

minus billy that is but bob and phil on the same stage!

http://www.livenation.com/venue/getVenue/venueId/1198

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/1193394...m_header_search

I'm smiling on the inside i wish its wasnt for obama but at least they will hit the stage again. Maybe it will help bob rember why they played music in the first place.

The motherfucking grateful dead are reuniting monday and not even a mumble

minus billy that is but bob and phil on the same stage!

http://www.livenation.com/venue/getVenue/venueId/1198

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/1193394...m_header_search

I'm smiling on the inside i wish its wasnt for obama but at least they will hit the stage again. Maybe it will help bob rember why they played music in the first place.

link to listen to disc 1

Road Trips: Volume 1 Number 2

$19.98

Shows

Albuquerque, NM - 10/7/77

Norman, OK - 10/11/77

Houston, TX - 10/14/77

Baton Rouge, LA - 10/16/77

Ah yes, the glorious year of 1977, a favorite of discerning Dead Heads for three decades now! For the second volume in our new Road Trips series, we