The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do ya remember at MSG, when they had the giant gorilla on the roof wearing a tie dye ?

Yeah..thats on the cover of what is it DP9? (I think)...funny MSG story I think I posted on the previous Dead topic pages....At a show there back in 92 or so (Rex Benefit) anyways having a great time hooting and hollering....I ended up dropping this setlist thingy I was holding into the row in front of me, so I bend over the seat back to pick it up and this chick in that seat turns around, gets in my face and yells "I'll fucking stab you!" apparently she thought I was goin for her bag or something...only in NY.....we all had a good laugh at that....getting threatened by a tripped out earthy-crunchy at a Dead show in NYC. We were laughing so hard in the cab on the way back to the hotel the cabbie was like what's so funny back there?...I was laughing so hard I was crying and could not answer....of course the large amounts of mushrooms and beer were taking their toll that night....trippin in NYC at the Hyatt hotel right across from the Chrysler Building...surreal. ahhhh, as the fat man sang "gone are the days"

Yeah..thats on the cover of what is it DP9? (I think)...funny MSG story I think I posted on the previous Dead topic pages....At a show there back in 92 or so (Rex Benefit) anyways having a great time hooting and hollering....I ended up dropping this setlist thingy I was holding into the row in front of me, so I bend over the seat back to pick it up and this chick in that seat turns around, gets in my face and yells "I'll fucking stab you!" apparently she thought I was goin for her bag or something...only in NY.....we all had a good laugh at that....getting threatened by a tripped out earthy-crunchy at a Dead show in NYC. We were laughing so hard in the cab on the way back to the hotel the cabbie was like what's so funny back there?...I was laughing so hard I was crying and could not answer....of course the large amounts of mushrooms and beer were taking their toll that night....trippin in NYC at the Hyatt hotel right across from the Chrysler Building...surreal. ahhhh, as the fat man sang "gone are the days"

Now see, that's the kind of stories we need - the good times.

Thanks man. I'm glad you're ok from the "gun incident" the other day. :thumbup

My gf (at the time) and I lived in NY for a bit about an hour north of the city and cruised down on a Tuesday night or so for an MSG show on a whim to score tix on the street. We had both worked that day and I popped down to Penn Station u8nderneath to buy a tall boy to sip while we searched for tix above.

the beer can was in a paper bag and I opened it when we got above ground and began the search. I had taken literally one sip when a plain-clothed dude walked up to me rapidly and grabbed me by the arm and started pulling me. As I started to get ready to swing at the guy he whipped his badge out from around his neck.

Busted for a beer in a bag in NYC outside MSG with winos scattered on the ground all over the joint with bags of booze, etc. I got cited a $10 ticket, which is nothing (I offered to pay for it on the spot), but had to take a day off from work to appear in court and got a $50 parking ticket while in court.

Ultimately, a $60 beer. And if you've never been to court in Manhattan you're missing out on a bizarre time.

Unrelated, I still need someone with an account over at dead.net to email the forum admin. for me as I have been unable to post there for about 2 months because of some screwed up scenario with my computer....

Now see, that's the kind of stories we need - the good times.

Thanks man. I'm glad you're ok from the "gun incident" the other day. :thumbup

Twas a good time indeed......and thanks for the thanks...was kinda nerveracking but in the end not a big deal. I think that guy learned a valuable lesson. I've had other close calls before, but that was the first time an actual shot got fired...usually some inexperienced fool is waving the gun around and it gets pointed at you and thats all...but whattya gonna do? I dig guns and teaching folks how to use 'em....truth be told I'm not sure how close that round passed to me, it was close but most likely what I felt was all the gas and crap coming out of the muzzle....anyways.....I have all kinds of bizzare stories from Dead shows, who doesn't? That sort of thing lends itself to seeing the Dead I think. One of the funnier ones was at my first show in Springfield, MA back in 78 (gloriously preserved on DP25!!). I was like 12 years old and in the lobby getting a drink and this chick comes up to me and asks if I wanted any acid. I was like "now why would I want that, that stuff can cause burns and is dangerous" Of course scant few years later I finally got it figured out :stunned

I guess it can be sorta mindblowing if your in the mood for it, but ended up putting on my vinyl copy of Jerry Garcia 'Reflections'.

For my money, that is the best Jerry album. I've never heard better versions of Might As Well, Mission In The Rain, Catfish John or Must Have Been The Roses. Sublime.

For my money, that is the best Jerry album. I've never heard better versions of Might As Well, Mission In The Rain, Catfish John or Must Have Been The Roses. Sublime.

Hell yeah. The Comes A Time is really unique too - Jerry's tone on that is incredible.

I came across this site a little while ago that includes some complete live audio shows as well as some complete live video/audios of Dead shows going back to '67. Some have just whole sets instead of whole shows. I'm watching the Hampton 3-27-88 currently while I download the Veneta '72. There's also the full footage from that RCMH show clip A-man posted earlier, as well as a Warlocks show ('89). Not bad...

http://www.tobasai.com/video/video.htm

ed. man I was at the Hampton show I'm watching and I don't remember the "Fire" being as fierce as it was. eek.

ed. man I was at the Hampton show I'm watching and I don't remember the "Fire" being as fierce as it was. eek.

The thing I love about that show is the "Ballad of a Thin Man". If you discount the Dylan/GD versions, it's one of only two (I think) that they ever played. The "To Lay Me Down" is beautiful too (as it always is/was).

The thing I love about that show is the "Ballad of a Thin Man". If you discount the Dylan/GD versions, it's one of only two (I think) that they ever played. The "To Lay Me Down" is beautiful too (as it always is/was).

Yeah, I caught the other version of "Ballad..."up at Brendan Byrne/Meadowlands later in the week, too. Another nice "TLMD" that night, as well. Unfortunately, the video only has the entire second set.

Oh

I never saw them - had a chance to once - but decided I do not want to around such things as well as, the gate crashing that was going on at the time.

Thus the rule no shows east of the 5 :pirate

Which of course I broke every year to go to Alpine and Vegas...Gotta say the first time they played Deer Creek was amazing Close Encounters of the Third Kind during space into the most amazing China Doll. Thanks for the link the Jerry Art interview was delightful!!!

Thus the rule no shows east of the 5 :pirate

Which of course I broke every year to go to Alpine and Vegas...Gotta say the first time they played Deer Creek was amazing Close Encounters of the Third Kind during space into the most amazing China Doll. Thanks for the link the Jerry Art interview was delightful!!!

Yeah, that Deer Creek show was a good'un. Nice venue, similar to the old Poplar Creek. Quick story about events surrounding that show......we drove down the night before and pulled into a farm road in the middle of nowhere to party and sleep. The next morning, we were woken up by a State Trooper, who was knocking his flashlight on the hood and saying "This is not a hassle".....he wanted us to split before an angry farmer came after us with his shootin' iron.

So we saw the show and being rather tired afterwards, decided to sleep in the car right there in the lot, even though the stated policy was 'No Camping'. Well, wouldnt you know it, the same State Trooper woke us up again and this time asked if we had narcolepsy, a smile on his face the whole time. We took his gentle encourgement to heart and hit the road back to Chicago.........a kind cop :thumbup he really could've worked us over if he wanted to.....

I remember that tour. That was at/outside of Brendan Byrne.

Very very sad story (Katz). Fall '89 wasn't it? That was a great tour.