The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite Help > Slip > Franks ever. I'm not really a rabid fan of '77 past this show (Fall). I really like the pinched sound Jerry got post-Egypt better.

Even not being a fan of 77 have you heard the 2nd set Sugaree from 5.3.77---WOW! Unbelievable version. The jam goes to another level that this song rarely ever was taken by the band.

Ganz played an unrealeased soundboard from this show last Saturday on the Marathon and it was great.

I don't know I'm not a big fan of 73 I guess but maybe i haven't heard the right show yet.

If you have not hear the 12/2 Boston it has the best brain-fry/meltdown I've ever heard. Phil conjures up screaming pterodactyls from his bass, I kid you not.

Ratdog's spring tour is coming through my neck of the woods. I think I'll go check them out. It's been six or seven years since I've seen them.

I'm glad Karan's well, but no Kimock-

From GDTSTOO:

"First of all we are so pleased to be able to tell you that

Mark Karan, RatDog's guitar player got the 'all clear' from

his doctors and will be able to join the band for the spring tour.

Go to rat-dog.com and click on 'news' for more of that story."

Like last week, we figured we'd focus on one city in this week's Taper's Section. Like our focus-on-Rochester last week, we've selected an equally prolific city from which to draw loads of interesting Grateful Dead music: Hartford, Connecticut.

Our earliest music today is from 1974, specifically from the massive show on 7/31/74 at Dillon Stadium in Hartford. Including the Seastones set, this is one of the longest Grateful Dead shows on record. A couple of days after this show, on August 2, the Grateful Dead were scheduled to play Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, but that concert was rained out and made up on August 6. From Hartford on 7/31/74, we have this excellent Truckin'>Jam>Wharf Rat . Dick's notes on his tapes of this concert state during the jam

15 years ago today:

Oakland Coliseum Arena, Oakland CA

I: Cold Rain, Wang Dang Doodle, Loser, Memphis Blues Again, Broken Arrow, Way To Go, Johnny B. Goode

II: Aiko, Corrina, Lazy River Road > Playin' > Drums > Space** > Other One* > Stella Blue* > Lovelight*

E:Brokedown*

*with Ornette Coleman ** also with Graham Wiggins on didgeridoo

Ornette Coleman opened. Jerry played on the last song of his set. First "Broken Arrow". Mardi Gras Parade during "Aiko".

From Playin' on this obviously gets very interesting. The jam from Playin' into the drums is very odd and has some "power rushes". Coleman is right at home during space. Worth checking out if you're an Ornette fan.

I stopped seeing them around 1985-86 because I thought the scene was getting a little creepy.

That and the fact that I came home one day and my roommate was playing Husker Du's Flip Your Wig. Blew my socks off ...

Hey - I (Rick from Boston) stopped seeing them July 4th Dylan and the Dead when fans crashed the field and we were almost crushed. The tude had defintely changed - this is why i like wilco - serious musicians, not so much with the serious drugs.

Hey - I (Rick from Boston) stopped seeing them July 4th Dylan and the Dead when fans crashed the field and we were almost crushed. The tude had defintely changed - this is why i like wilco - serious musicians, not so much with the serious drugs.

Not for nothing but the Dead were certainly "serious musicians" as well. I'm not sure what band-member drug usage/non-usage has to do with it. I can understand not wanting to hit shows (I guess) because of some bone-heads in the crowd though.

Not for nothing but the Dead were certainly "serious musicians" as well. I'm not sure what band-member drug usage/non-usage has to do with it. I can understand not wanting to hit shows (I guess) because of some bone-heads in the crowd though.

Yeah. That's one thing I have now fully realized in this, my latest Dead phase. These dudes could flat-out rip.

Referring to the level of CROWD drug use - leading to a general "bone head" atmosphere v one or two bone heads

Yeah. That's one thing I have now fully realized in this, my latest Dead phase. These dudes could flat-out rip.

Absolutely. Most people never get past the 'phenomenon' with the fans and all that. If you can expose someone to the music without telling them the name of the band (with all of its preconceived notions) quite often they will appreciate what they're hearing. Not always though. It can be pretty dense stuff at times.

I think the media didn't help things. Wherever the band played (esp. the last 15 years) without fail the local newspapers, TV etc stories would always lead with that percentage of fans that looked to have been stuck in a sort of Haight-Ashbury diorama. So much easier than actually talking about the music itself. 12 years later the band is only now starting to get the respect that I think is well-deserved.

Absolutely. Most people never get past the 'phenomenon' with the fans and all that. If you can expose someone to the music without telling them the name of the band (with all of its preconceived notions) quite often they will appreciate what they're hearing. Not always though. It can be pretty dense stuff at times.

I think the media didn't help things. Wherever the band played (esp. the last 15 years) without fail the local newspapers, TV etc stories would always lead with that percentage of fans that looked to have been stuck in a sort of Haight-Ashbury diorama. So much easier than actually talking about the music itself. 12 years later the band is only now starting to get the respect that I think is well-deserved.

Very true. I don't think you could make an argument about their musical capabilities.

Also that show with Ornette is awesome! I LOVE the space, it sounds as if they are battling it out.

Another anniversary today. 39 years ago (damn it's hard to comprehend next year will be 40 years) at the Fillmore West the most perfectly realized version of Dark Star ever played. It might not be my favorite but it's just a seamless version.

All who have the Fillmore Run (via box set, cds or cassettes) should bust these things out for the next 4 days. I know I will!

Another anniversary today. 39 years ago (damn it's hard to comprehend next year will be 40 years) at the Fillmore West the most perfectly realized version of Dark Star ever played. It might not be my favorite but it's just a seamless version.

All who have the Fillmore Run (via box set, cds or cassettes) should bust these things out for the next 4 days. I know I will!

Hell Yeah!!!!! My favorite period. Primal Dead at it's best. I have always loved that Darkstar, (and all Darkstars) and when I got to hear it in it's full transition from Mountains Of The Moon into DS...yikes....as far as I'm concerned it is my first among equals of Darkstars. Oddly enough it wasn't the first one I ever heard, I had been exposed to some seriously trippy 72 Darkstars before I ever got my lysergic hands on Live Dead. I would have loved to have seen the boys in this time period (but I was only 3 back in 69) ah well....I did get to see 'em in 78 ( recorded for all time as DP25!) and then throughout the 80's and early 90's so....

Thats why I'm glad I'm around to see and appreciate Wilco these days. I think we are witnessing a band at it's absolute peak.

Hell Yeah!!!!! My favorite period. Primal Dead at it's best. I have always loved that Darkstar, (and all Darkstars) and when I got to hear it in it's full transition from Mountains Of The Moon into DS...yikes....as far as I'm concerned it is my first among equals of Darkstars. Oddly enough it wasn't the first one I ever heard, I had been exposed to some seriously trippy 72 Darkstars before I ever got my lysergic hands on Live Dead. I would have loved to have seen the boys in this time period (but I was only 3 back in 69) ah well....I did get to see 'em in 78 ( recorded for all time as DP25!) and then throughout the 80's and early 90's so....

Thats why I'm glad I'm around to see and appreciate Wilco these days. I think we are witnessing a band at it's absolute peak.

1. You saw the Dead when you were 12? Faaar out.

2. I agree with you about Wilco. The residency performances are head and shoulders better than the performances on Kicking Television, which were pretty good. A shame they didn't wait a few years to let this lineup season a bit before putting out a live album.

1. You saw the Dead when you were 12? Faaar out.

2. I agree with you about Wilco. The residency performances are head and shoulders better than the performances on Kicking Television, which were pretty good. A shame they didn't wait a few years to let this lineup season a bit before putting out a live album.

actually I was 11....didn't turn 12 until October of that year!!!!! It was quite a feat, my Dad was a middle school pricipal and he damn well knew what that scene was all about, my friends big brother took us....to this day I'm still amazed my rock solid conservative dad let me go......go figure......I did wait a few years before I started sampling the chemicals though :shifty

actually I was 11....didn't turn 12 until October of that year!!!!! It was quite a feat, my Dad was a middle school pricipal and he damn well knew what that scene was all about, my friends big brother took us....to this day I'm still amazed my rock solid conservative dad let me go......go figure......I did wait a few years before I started sampling the chemicals though :shifty

Have you ever heard the story about that show (it is 5/11/78 Springfield, right)? Crazy night indeed!

Have you ever heard the story about that show (it is 5/11/78 Springfield, right)? Crazy night indeed!

Yep 5-11-78. Oh yeah, the stories are true....I wasn't really in to them as much as I would be at later points (hey I was 11! and it was the first rock concert I ever went to), but even my naive 11 year old self knew that the guys were....ah....enhanced to some extent. Allegedly the story goes they were on mescaline. I remeber people going nuts during the entire gig and though I didn't know why I knew it was something good ( when Weir came out with the gorilla mask I was like what......?)...Obviously this show started my life long love of the boys...I was lucky that particular was my first. I remeber the next time I saw them....memory is foggy but I know it was in 1981 I was like hmmmm this wasn't like the last time.

I could never find a good tape of this show and pretty much gave up until dp25 came out. I was stoked (plus I got the cool 25 so far T shirt with it).