The Grateful Dead

I'm off to see Ratdog in Syracuse Saturday night. I haven't seen them since the spring of 2000, at the height of my Deadhead phase, so I'm interested to see how they've changed, and how my perspective on them will have changed.

Better and Jazzier.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen nearly every lineup, and that one was far and away the best.

I agree, though the few he did with Kimock, Trey, Page, and Donna at the Warfield in April '99 right after his liver transplant were excellent. First tune back was Clapton's "Hello Old Friend" done with an acoustic guitar, Phil singing, and Phil's two boys (young at the time) on background vocals. Cheesy but sweet.

Who is that dude who looks like a kid that is playing for him now?

Jackie Greene

I agree, though the few he did with Kimock, Trey, Page, and Donna at the Warfield in April '99 right after his liver transplant were excellent. First tune back was Clapton's "Hello Old Friend" done with an acoustic guitar, Phil singing, and Phil's two boys (young at the time) on background vocals. Cheesy but sweet.

Jackie Greene

I see.

I don't know if you guys saw the langerado show but this is a different band then the one you saw at the fillmore lammy. The kid is getting comfortable and molitz has staked his ground. And Larry is larry. I think youd be pleasantly surprised if you check them out now. Plus Levon Helm, its gonna be a great tour. I just wish Chicago wasn't going to be my only show. Hopefully I can get a ride to summerfest.

And if you guys haven't herd of Penn's Peak you should all look it up on the net one of the coolest venues out there. Its up on a mountain and is basically a giant log cabin. They say no smoking inside because of the hard wood but let you do as you please on the back porch. I can't believe Phil is going to be playing there its going to be a good one.

I don't know if you guys saw the langerado show but this is a different band then the one you saw at the fillmore lammy. The kid is getting comfortable and molitz has staked his ground. And Larry is larry. I think youd be pleasantly surprised if you check them out now.

Oh, I wouldn't stop going. I'll be going two nights in May to the Fillmore. I just wasn't as heavily impressed last fall as I have been with some of his other line ups, but it was still good music being put out. I actually like Jackie Greene's style with the band.

Molitz and Molo will be sitting in with Banyan after one or both shows at my pal's bar, too. Should be two great nights of music. Unfortunately, Wilco is playing about an hour south on the first night. There's a slight chance I may hit Wilco on the 8th instead (variables to consider and all).

For the Faithful is a re-issue of "Reckoning". You're gonna love that one. Comfortable like an old pair of slippers.

Actually just bought a new copy of "Reckoning" today, Barnes and Noble was having a huge sale!! I got it for 12 bucks! along with "Wake of the Flood"

Oh, I wouldn't stop going. I'll be going two nights in May to the Fillmore. I just wasn't as heavily impressed last fall as I have been with some of his other line ups, but it was still good music being put out. I actually like Jackie Greene's style with the band.

Molitz and Molo will be sitting in with Banyan after one or both shows at my pal's bar, too. Should be two great nights of music. Unfortunately, Wilco is playing about an hour south on the first night. There's a slight chance I may hit Wilco on the 8th instead (variables to consider and all).

its not the mike watt lineup is it? I love me some Banyan

Actually just bought a new copy of "Reckoning" today, Barnes and Noble was having a huge sale!! I got it for 12 bucks! along with "Wake of the Flood"

Beyond Description (1973-1989)

They are selling those separately now - just like they did with the WB era cds after The Golden Road (1965 - 1973) after it had been out for a while.

The B&E here sells cds for @19 dollars - so I'd say that was a deal.

its not the mike watt lineup is it? I love me some Banyan

I don't know yet. I don't think so. I've only seen Watt with them 2-3 times. Nels, however, is an hour (actually a little less) down the road on the 8th. Hmmmmnnn....

That youtube footage is strange. I've seen that stuff before and they're actually playing "New Potato Caboose", not "Golden Road". I wonder why they dubbed GR in. :ermm

The story of that stealth "show" is pretty damn cool though. Smuggling in the gear in a Wonder Bread truck, etc.

With Election Looming, The Dead May Rise Again

Bob Weir

March 28, 2008, 11:05 AM ET

Gary Graff, Detroit

A Barack Obama presidential candidacy may give Grateful Dead fans reason to rejoice this year.

The Dead's surviving members got together in February to perform at a Deadheads for Obama rally in San Francisco. "It was our first straight-up political event ever," notes guitarist Bob Weir, who's now on the road with his band Ratdog. "We had fun." And, Weir tells Billboard.com, the group, which is largely dormant these days, may want to have a little more fun in the near future.

"I would be surprised if we don't get around to playing again at some point," he says. "But, really, my hot hand right now is Ratdog, and I think that goes for Phil (Lesh) with his group, and Mickey (Hart) has his project and Billy (Kreutzmann) is sort of happily retired over in Hawaii. But we'll get together again. I'm sure of that."

Weir says the Dead men like Obama "for different reasons." Mostly, he explains, "I think it may be the last chance in our lifetimes to get money out of politics, to show special interests the door. It's also a chance to get younger people involved in politics for the first time in many years; once they're involved, I think they'll stay and that's important because it's their future being decided now."

Weir, who initially supported John Edwards' presidential bid, adds that he liked what he's read about Obama's position on the environment, which is his primary interest. Weir is putting together an "environmental project" that he hopes to announce "in the next few weeks. I have to get on the phone and see if I can bring some folks on board, and if I can do that then it'll be time for a roll-out."

Weir also continues to look for a producer for his musical about Negro Leagues great Satchel Paige, and he says a new Ratdog album -- the group's first since 2001's "Live at Roseland" -- could be in the offing.

"We keep talking about it," Weir says. "We've got enough tunes to do it. The problem is going to the effort and expense of making a record; we occupy a place that's square in the middle of the file-sharing demographic, so as soon as we've sold one record everybody who wants it has it. We're chewing on what to do about that."

God, Bobby...just release it on vinyl only, that'll show those music-stealing sunsabitches. :rolleyes

I enjoyed Ratdog last night. I was a little iffy about going since it's been a few years since I've really been into the Dead, but they didn't disappoint. It was a much different lineup from the last time I saw them, back in 2000, I believe, but they were much better. They opened with a jam that led into Bertha, and that alone was worth the price of admission for me. I was in the center of the fifteenth row, so I had a really great view, and they played for a lot longer than I was expecting them to. During the second set, there were a lot of sloppy drunk people in front of me who were more interested in talking to one another than paying any attention to the show, so that was annoying, but it was still a great show. I remember Terrapin Station being the highlight of the show last time I saw them, but last night's version was nothing short of epic. Tennessee Jed and One More Saturday Night were a lot of fun, too.

The setlist:

I: Jam > Bertha > Bury Me Standing > West L.A. Fadeaway, Lucky Enough, Tennessee Jed > Wrong Way Feelin', All Along the Watchtower > Big Railroad Blues

II: Been All Around This World (acoustic), El Paso (acoustic), Black-Throated Wind@, Jus' Like Mama Said > Lady with a Fan > Terrapin > Stuff > Dear Prudence > One More Saturday Night

Encore: At a Siding > Terrapin Flyer

wow, great setlist

i'm toying with seeing the stroudsburg show on tuesday

but it's a long way to go to hope to get a ticket outside

There were a lot of people trying to find tickets outside the theater on Saturday, and I didn't see anyone selling. Stroudsburg is sort of in the middle of nowhere, so I can't imagine there's a huge amount of local interest in the show, but I'm sure a lot of people will be coming in for it. You never know--check craigslist and ebay. Somebody might be trying to get rid of a ticket at the last minute. Good luck.

There were a lot of people trying to find tickets outside the theater on Saturday, and I didn't see anyone selling. Stroudsburg is sort of in the middle of nowhere, so I can't imagine there's a huge amount of local interest in the show, but I'm sure a lot of people will be coming in for it. You never know--check craigslist and ebay. Somebody might be trying to get rid of a ticket at the last minute. Good luck.

thanks

"sort of in the middle of nowhere" is putting it mildly! but there's nothing on stubhub right now or ebay - not even expensive-as-crap tickets - so it doesn't look good. small place. i'm bummed. if i don't get in, i'll scream louder than Donna!!

but listening to April 10, 1978, Atlanta, is cheering me up a little

4/2/73 -Boston

Here Comes Sunshine > Space > Me and Bobby McGee. One of my favorite pieces of GD music from all of '73. One of those "how do they do that?" kind of segues.

Rest of the show is not too shabby either.