The Grateful Dead

That's a top 10 (or 5) version of Dark Star there.

That mind left body jam is awesome

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just finished Phil's book

what a great read

highly recommended

I talked with an old friend/tour buddy the other day that recently picked up the book on CD - read by Phil himself - at Barnes & Noble on sale for 8 bucks. American. (suggested retail price like $29). :blink

just finished Phil's book

what a great read

highly recommended

I thought it was terrible. There is a whole stack of them for sale a the Barnes & Noble here where I live for 5 bucks.

I thought it was terrible. There is a whole stack of them for sale a the Barnes & Noble here where I live for 5 bucks.

What didn't you like about it? I thought it seemed pretty honest (in terms of corresponding with McNalley's book which I guess could be a skewed perspective). He may not be the greatest writer but there are some great stories in there. Mind you I read it when it came out but i think I remember some lame humor, but its phil so its expected.

Light entertainment. A lot of the stories are rehashed tales that have been told. Still a decent peak through Phil's eyes, I thought. Got Phil to sign my copy when it came out so there's that....

What didn't you like about it? I thought it seemed pretty honest (in terms of corresponding with McNalley's book which I guess could be a skewed perspective). He may not be the greatest writer but there are some great stories in there. Mind you I read it when it came out but i think I remember some lame humor, but its phil so its expected.

I've read too many rock books - probably. It seemed like it was just surface stories or something - not sure. I have the Parish and Scully books.

Most of the stories in Phil's book had already been told in one place or another, but the firing of Dan Healy and how that came about was something I'd never heard in detail. So I guess it was worth it just to read about that. I sure wish he would have talked about Kimock - there's a story there!

My major gripe was it just wasn't long enough - I mean hell, Clinton's autobiography was nearly 1000 pages and what the hell did he do that was as important as being in the GD for 30 years? :rolleyes

Most of the stories in Phil's book had already been told in one place or another, but the firing of Dan Healy and how that came about was something I'd never heard in detail. So I guess it was worth it just to read about that. I sure wish he would have talked about Kimock - there's a story there!

My major gripe was it just wasn't long enough - I mean hell, Clinton's autobiography was nearly 1000 pages and what the hell did he do that was as important as being in the GD for 30 years? :rolleyes

yeah, ya know, i just never read music books so i hadn't heard any of the stories. plus i arrived late to the dead, finally getting it after turning up my nose at 'em for 35 years. so it's all still new to me.

including this june 10, 1973, rfk show i just downloaded from bt.etree.org

ncaa hoops on the TV, jack straw on audio

I think that is it - it just seemed thin.

yeah, ya know, i just never read music books so i hadn't heard any of the stories. plus i arrived late to the dead, finally getting it after turning up my nose at 'em for 35 years. so it's all still new to me.

I agree. I'm in the same boat as a (relative) latecomer to the band and I don't read rock books much at all, either, so a lot of the material was new to me. In parts it did feel like Phil was skimming over things, but I doubt I ever would have gotten through a longer book.

And I bought this for under $5 at the local overstock books store. I probably never would have bought it, otherwise.

And I bought this for under $5 at the local overstock books store. I probably never would have bought it, otherwise.

You could have gotten it for $0.15 on Amazon! (of course there's a $4.00 s&h fee, so....good move).

One of the best parts of Phil's book is his honesty about the last years of Jerry's life. The band knew he was in terrible shape and needed time off, but the infrastructure was so large and supporting so many people (ticket office, sound guys, insurance costs, etc.) that they couldn't afford to take time off. I think he mentioned that Vince Welnick (Casio-boy, of all people) demanded that they continue touring. It's a good book from a personal perspective, but a previous poster is right: it could be 1000 pages and not get past the days in the Haight.

In fairness to Vince, he was new to the band as a virtual outsider up until that point. The low man on the totem poll (including roadies like Ram Rod, Parish, etc.).

He also was very down on his luck until he got the call to join the Dead. It was all pretty new to him and he absolutely loved being in the band and cherished Garcia in particular. I'd guess his input was an enthusiastic thumb's up to keep at it. But, I seriously doubt that Vinnie's "demand" that they continue touring played any major factor into the decision. As mentioned, the beast was too big to really stop at that point, regardless of little ol' Vince's desires.

Welcome back to the Tapers Section. With so much great music played throughout the Grateful Dead's history during the latter part of March, we'll jump right in with some tasty stuff from Spring of 1990.

The Nassau Coliseum run in March, 1990, signaled the band's return to Long Island's major hockey arena after a five year absence. What first comes to mind when most people think of Nassau 1990 is the middle night of the run, 3/29/90, specifically the portions of the show featuring Branford Marsalis. However, the third night also featured some great music, and from the second set, we have this excellent Playing In The Band>China Doll>Uncle John's Band>Terrapin Station, a very rare Jerry trio of songs bunched together. And what a trio of songs! As we've mentioned previously with the spring of 1990, thankfully the entire tour was recorded to 24 track analog tape so that proper live albums can be produced from the tour. Let's hope there are more of these releases to come.

While we're at Nassau in March, 1990, we might as well drop into the first night of the run, 3/28/90. Again, like the other two shows, this was an exceptional night of music. From the pre-Drums portion of the second set, we have Cumberland Blues>The Weight, Hey Pocky Way. This was, of course, the first-ever Grateful Dead version of The Weight, and it was such a fine addition to the repertoire, and a great showcase for Brent's singing and playing. The Weight would end up being the final song the Grateful Dead wuld ever perform with Brent Mydland on 7/23/90.

Next we'll jump back in time 18 years to 1972, to 3/26/72 specifically at the Academy of Music in New York City. This seven night run was a terrific warm-up for the Europe '72 tour, for which the band departed on 4/1/72 for the first gigs on 4/7&8/72 at Wembley Empire Pool (now Wembley Arena) in London. From 3/26/72, we have two excellent versions of songs played often, and wonderfully, in 1972: Playing In The Band and Good Lovin'.

Finally this week, we're going to take a stop in California's Central Valley to the city of Modesto on 3/28/69. The show featured a terrific rendition of the Live/Dead suite, but with a big old cut in The Eleven, we thought we'd split the music here as well. So, this week we'll play you the excellent Dark Star>St. Stephen>Eleven and next week we'll play you the equally impressive conclusion of this jam.

>This was, of course, the first-ever Grateful Dead version of The Weight

I was upper deck in the Philzone for this show. I remember hearing the opening chords and saying, "This couldn't be the Weight, could it?" It was a great song for them because Jerry, Bob, Phil, and Brent each took a verse, like they did in Let the Good Times Roll, one of the great openers. Spring 90 was a great tour, as was Fall 90, especially the six-night run at MSG.

>This was, of course, the first-ever Grateful Dead version of The Weight

I was upper deck in the Philzone for this show. I remember hearing the opening chords and saying, "This couldn't be the Weight, could it?" It was a great song for them because Jerry, Bob, Phil, and Brent each took a verse, like they did in Let the Good Times Roll, one of the great openers. Spring 90 was a great tour, as was Fall 90, especially the six-night run at MSG.

got to love those let the good times roll openers.

Phil Lesh & Friends have finalized their summer plans. The former Grateful Dead bassist will hit the road with Larry Campbell, Jackie Greene, Steve Molitz and John Molo for a festival-heavy tour, scheduled to run from a June 12 performance at Columbus, OH
I am not sure if I want to be in the midst of that deal. I saw him once - when Jimmy and Warren were in the band.

Just hang to the side or the back. Great line up. I've seen most of the bands on the list and they're all right up there live.

I am not sure if I want to be in the midst of that deal. I saw him once - when Jimmy and Warren were in the band.

I've seen nearly every lineup, and that one was far and away the best.