The Grateful Dead

Yep 5-11-78. Oh yeah, the stories are true....I wasn't really in to them as much as I would be at later points (hey I was 11! and it was the first rock concert I ever went to), but even my naive 11 year old self knew that the guys were....ah....enhanced to some extent. Allegedly the story goes they were on mescaline. I remeber people going nuts during the entire gig and though I didn't know why I knew it was something good ( when Weir came out with the gorilla mask I was like what......?)...Obviously this show started my life long love of the boys...I was lucky that particular was my first. I remeber the next time I saw them....memory is foggy but I know it was in 1981 I was like hmmmm this wasn't like the last time.

I could never find a good tape of this show and pretty much gave up until dp25 came out. I was stoked (plus I got the cool 25 so far T shirt with it).

Yeah, that's what I've read too. Mescaline. You can almost hear it - Donna cracking up during verses, Phil doing ridiculous baritone doo-wop things during "Dancin'" etc. And that Werewolves...as Lammy would say "Good Lord!" :lol

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Grateful Dead - O'Keefe Center, Toronto, Ontario - 08/04/1967

In what was one of the first Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane excursions outside of their home state of California, and their first gig ever outside of the United States, Bill Graham financed the presentation of these two seminal San Francisco bands for a week of shows at Toronto's O'Keefe Center.

This second to last night of the run is a perfect example of primal Grateful Dead, recorded five months after their first LP release and a mere month before they would begin work on their most ambitious and experimental album, Anthem of the Sun.

The set begins in progress, with the band performing "The Lindy," a song they had electrified from their jug band days. Next up is a very early arrangement of bass player Phil Lesh's composition, "New Potato Caboose," a song that clearly shows the band moving away from their early sound into more adventurous territory, and beginning to experiment with unusual and multiple time signatures.

The set closes with a monumental take on "Viola Lee Blues," another electrified jug band song that had become the first of their songs specifically designed as a vehicle for instrumental jamming. It's an amazing performance that begins with the band pounding through the first two verses and then heading straight into outer space. The jam goes through many spontaneous changes with the tempo increasing each time and Garcia developing his trademark style of repetitive banjo-style riffing with the accents constantly changing. Eventually there is nowhere left to go and they reprise the final verse of the song before releasing a wail of bone crunching feedback. Out of this total bombardment, they're heard playing the "Looney Tunes" cartoons theme as the tape fades out seconds before the conclusion of the set.

so etree has the 1972 project going & i'm on download five of eight

each one is about 16 gb and they're all fairly well seeded, so they're going along fairly quickly (30 kB/s or so)

etree = ratio free, too (although i seed 'em all to at least 1.0 before i move 'em to my hard drive)

thank god for cheap external hard drives!

i had about 30 1972 shows but now i'll have 'em all in one place, some with soundboard and audience versions

i'm a big 1972, 1973 and 1977 guy, so this is very cool

Collection: GratefulDead

Band/Artist: Grateful Dead

Date: April 5, 1969 (check for other copies)

Venue: Avalon Ballroom

Source: Soundboard

Lineage: SBD > Rm (7 inch Master Reels @ 7.5ips 1/2trk) > DAT > Sonic Solutions > CD > EAC > Samplitude > SHN

Transferred by: Charlie Miller

Dupree's Diamond Blues-> Mountains Of The Moon-> Jam-> Dark Star-> Saint Stephen-> The Eleven-> Turn On Your Love Light Hard To Handle, Cosmic Charlie, China Cat Sunflower-> Jam-> Doin' That Rag, Cryptical Envelopment-> Drums-> The Other One-> Cryptical Envelopment-> The Eleven-> It's A Sin, Alligator-> Drums-> Feedback-> We Bid You Good Night

Collection: GratefulDead

Band/Artist: Grateful Dead

Date: September 20, 1970 (check for other copies)

Venue: Fillmore East

Source: Remastered Soundboard

Lineage: iZotope Ozone

Transferred by: Jim Wise, Darrin Sacks and SirMic

Uncle John's Band, Deep Elem Blues, Friend Of The Devil, Big Railroad Blues, Dark Hollow, Ripple, To Lay Me Down, Truckin', Rosalie McFall, Cumberland Blues, New Speedway Boogie, Brokedown Palace Casey Jones, China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider, Candyman, Sitting On Top Of The World, Good Lovin'-> Drums-> Good Lovin', Big Boy Pete, Me & My Uncle, Easy Wind, Sugar Magnolia, Attics Of My Life, Mama Tried, Not Fade Away-> Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)-> We Bid You Good Night

I hear the following weekend will have three nights at the warfeild.

Also over the weekend langardo will be webcast on iclips.net hopefully this will be easier then last time. Phil is on sunday!

pigpenpl2.jpg

Like a steam locomotive

Rollin' down the track

He's gone, gone

And nothin's gonna bring him back

Ron McKernan 9/8/45 - 3/8/73

Since today marks 35 years I thought we might have a little Pigpen appreciation here. I personally never saw Pig do his thing (and I only know one friend who did...Lou, maybe you did?) but he was the heart and soul of the band in the first 7 years. Thankfully, the Dead never tried to replace him - who could, really?

Maybe a classic "Caution" or "Lovelight" would be in order today. :worship

"I think it's safe to say we all loved Pigpen" - Jerry Garcia

Tracks: Two Woman, Michael, Katie May, New Orleans > That train, Instrumental, Bring me my shotgun, CC Rider, Katie Mae, Hitchhiking Woman, Two Women, When I was a Boy, Bring me my Shotgun, I Believe, She's Mine, and No Time

I should dig the above tape up some day.

The Grateful Dead - Tivoli Koncertsal, Copenhagen, Denmark, 4-17-1972

Next Time You See Me

Chinatown Shuffle

The Grateful Dead - Dusseldorf, West Germany, 4-24-1972

The Grateful Dead - The Festival Express - Canada, 1970

Easy Wind

Pigpen's gravesite.

tried to stop by his grave on a road trip two years back. sadly never made it.

That last track on the tape listing Aman posted ("No Time") is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever heard. Pig with just a piano singing about "I can't take this pain much longer, you know I'm getting weaker not stronger". :cryin

That might be the last thing he ever recorded - on 2-track at home. I have this as filler on something, i'll have to go back and locate it.

all good things cant last. the arrow is broken :(

very disappointing. I cant believe the way people were just posting links to the site on archive

stupid. :monkey

all good things cant last. the arrow is broken :(

very disappointing. I cant believe the way people were just posting links to the site on archive

stupid. :monkey

No shit. Bummer. I was on there for about three hours just last night.

http://iclips-festival-live-lr.wm.llnwd.ne...estival_live_lr

China Cat to open!

talk about shitty i guess it started it started at 8,

Phil Lesh & Friends

Langerado Music Festival

Big Cypress, FL

03/09/2008

Set 1:

Sugar Magnolia >

Uncle John's Band >

Wheel >

fuck-me-running jam >

Cumberland Blues >

Gone Wonderin'>

Big Mon >

Cumberland Blues

Help on the Way >

Slipknot >

Franklin's Tower

Set 2:

China Cat Sunflower >

I Know You Rider

New Speedway Boogie >

A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall >

Unbroken Chain >

NASA jam >

(Particle tune?) >

Golden Road

Viola Lee Blues

After the Denver gigs a one-off at the Greek Theatre and then a 5-night run at the Warfield:

http://www.phillesh.net/philzonepages/frie...8-warfield.html

this band has gotten so much better. I'd em in the fall but last night (second set) was awesome. There was a space jam with just phil, steve and molo that had to be 15 min.

This week we're going to jump around a bit and play a few things that recently passed by our ears and that we felt you'd dig hearing.

Our first piece of music is from 6/24/73 at the Memorial Coliseum in Portland, Oregon. Anyone who has driven past the Northeast corner of downtown Portland has seen the square structure that is the Coliseum. While no longer home to the Trail Blazers, who play next door at the Rose Garden, the funky old Coliseum still hosts plenty of concerts and is home to the WHL's Portland Winterhawks team. Oh, and in addition to this sports history of the venue, it also has quite a history for the Grateful Dead. From the first of five shows the band played at the Memorial Coliseum, we have the show-closing Sugar Magnolia, One More Saturday Night combination, the latter being the encore. There was plenty of great music played at this show, and we'll try to get to more of it later in the year.

While we're hanging out in the Pacific Northwest, we might as well jump north a few hours to Vancouver, BC, to the final Grateful Dead show played in this beautiful city, on 5/17/74. This was on the first big Wall of Sound tour, and the sound of the tapes matches the sound in the halls on this tour, which is to say full and clear. This tour would go on to Portland, Seattle and Santa Barbara, before some stellar June, July and August shows, with the Wall of the Sound era wrapping up with the short Europe tour in September and the five nights at Winterland in October. From Vancouver on 5/17/74, we're very happy to bring you this exploratory Playing In The Band. Although not quite the 45 minute version played a few nights later in Seattle, it does hit some great spaces.

Next up we've finally got some date-specific material for you, after getting away from that format for the past few weeks. From 3/10/81 at Madison Square Garden, we have the show-opening trio of Mississippi Half-Step>Franklin's Tower>Me and My Uncle. We played some of this show last year, and if you check back in a year from now, we expect we'll play a bit more from this night and the previous show.

Because we're in the mood for some 1971, we're going to visit Winterland and check out some music from 5/29/71, specifically the set-closing Not Fade Away>GDTRFB>Not Fade Away, complete with a little Bill Graham rap at the end. He certainly was a hands-on concert producer.

Finally this week, from 7/1/70 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, we have this raw but right China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider from the famous Festival Express trip across Canada. It's too bad the Montreal show (political unrest) and the Vancouver show (lack of funds) were cancelled, as we can only wonder what other great music would have been played at two more shows.

Check back next week for more great music from the vault. As always, we welcome you to write the email address below with questions, suggestions and comments. Please put

RatDog to tour with ABB this summer. First show announced:

Bob Weir and RatDog will partner with the Allman BrothersBand again this summer. First one out:

Saturday, August 23, 2008 at Tweeter At The Waterfront,

Camden, NJ. Doors and Show time TBA. All ages welcome.

Mail order tickets are available at $79.00 per ticket for Pit

and Main Orchestra tickets. $49.00 per ticket for second tier.

Lawn tickets will be $33.50

First mail in dates for this performance will be Friday,

March 14 through Tuesday, March 18.

Mail order will remain open beyond those dates.

Bob Weir and RatDog will partner with the Allman BrothersBand again this summer.

I'd go see that.*

* Though I doubt they'll be coming to my neck of the woods since I think they only played sheds when they got together last year and my local outdoor venue is now sitting empty and surrounded by bulldozers, waiting for somebody to buy the land.

I'd go see that.*

* Though I doubt they'll be coming to my neck of the woods since I think they only played sheds when they got together last year and my local outdoor venue is now sitting empty and surrounded by bulldozers, waiting for somebody to buy the land.

Sounds like yer a Southside Chicagoan..........I say, good day to the World.....good day and good riddance!